Air Through Cruise Line

drcpa

We are looking at a Christmas River Cruise. Air cannot be booked until 330 days from departure. Thus Avalon cannot price/determine our tickets/itinerary at this time.

This got us thinking:

1. Does Avalon use standard airlines as opposed to charters or other off brand service?

2. Do they limit the segments/legs of a trip? We are concerned that their negotiated rates might have us making multiple stops?

3. We have heard that using the cruise line gets you the worse seats, middle, etc. Is this true?

3. Has anyone used the cruise lines air line service before as opposed to making their own reservations? Did this work out for you and might you have any suggestions on using (or not) the cruise lines air program.

Much thanks

You really have to check it both ways.It has always turned out best for us to book our own air as we like to go a couple of days early to see more things in the departure city.Three years ago we booked our own air and our friends used Avalon air. We saved $700.00 by booking our own and we were on exactly the same flights from ORD thru Fankfurt to Budapest. They were able to select their desired seats by calling the airline after the reservation was made by Avalon. I know Avalon has used United and Delta so I am sure they use the major airlines.

Having had problems in past, poor routes, bad times, etc...I always get my own tickets and save money, time,connections,poor seats,etc...use Kayak.com to get best flights...You will have to pay for taxi to port, but can book tour bus if you want...usually cheaper to do ALL yourself..But check it out both ways...we like certain airlines,own departure city,et...have no say when booked for you...;);)

I have been on 10 river cruises and used the cruise lines air every time. Only one time did I get a bad routing. Most (7) of my trips have been on GCT and their air usually cannot be beat. I'm always able to select my own seats and always get my frequent flier miles. The problem I've always had in the past is trying to get a good deal flying into one European city and out of another. Flying out of PHX could also be the problem.

You don't say where you live. Sometimes the add on air from your city makes the price much more than if you did your own. Also, in you are going in winter, you would want to go in a couple days early to make sure you get there. "But - if they do the air, they are responsible". Yes, sure, but you have still missed part of your trip.

If you do go in early, etc, be sure to do your own trip insurance to cover your whole cost - the tour companies (and cruise lines) just insure from their date to get you there.

Archived