Luggage Allowance

I know that this has been discussed at length on other threads, and there has been confusion, over the weights for Hold & Hand luggage.

Has anybody recently returned from a fly cruise, and can tell me what the current allowances are.

We are flying from Stanstead to Paphos int on a Thomson flight in March. Do you also know the maximum dimensions for hand luggage, the last I saw it was 55x40x25cm.

Also is it still only 1 item of hand luggage allowed.:confused::confused::confused:

We have the added worry, that neither of us have ever flown before, I am 70 next month and my wife in her mid 60's.

We have always sailed from Southampton, or gone over land via ferry.

I know that this has been discussed at length on other threads, and there has been confusion, over the weights for Hold & Hand luggage.

Has anybody recently returned from a fly cruise, and can tell me what the current allowances are.

We are flying from Stanstead to Paphos int on a Thomson flight in March. Do you also know the maximum dimensions for hand luggage, the last I saw it was 55x40x25cm.

Also is it still only 1 item of hand luggage allowed.:confused::confused::confused:

We have the added worry, that neither of us have ever flown before, I am 70 next month and my wife in her mid 60's.

We have always sailed from Southampton, or gone over land via ferry.

Almost certain it's now 23 (hold) + 7 (hand) but your flight tickets should confirm this. (This was our allowance Oct 09 for a fly/cruise) We've found this has been ok for a two-week cruise as long as you think about mix 'n match outfits to economise on volume/weight a little bit. I think the dimensions for your hand baggage is the one they use - although it's not always checked and can vary from airport to airport but on our last trip, the Thomson staff were being quite keen on checking the hand baggage and at Corfu on our return flight, it was weighed too.

I know it's easy to say to someone 'don't worry' but I was in the same situation as you a few years ago never having flown before and was quite nervous but having taken the plunge have done quite a few fly/cruise holidays since and it's like many things - once you've done it, you wonder why you were concerned. More often than not it's the fear of the unknown.

Anyway, all the best - I hope you manage to get everything into your cases (under the weight limit :D) and that you enjoy your first flights. :)

Only one item of hand luggage is allowed when flying from the UK, so if you must use an actual handbag it needs to be able to fit inside your carry-on bag for check-in. I pack my handbag (empty) in my suitcase, and put whatever items I will need on the flight (comb, glasses, book etc.) directly into my carry-on bag along with anything of value (camera, jewellery).

Any liquid items need to be in a container no larger than 100mls and must fit flat to be presented at security in an 8x8" zip-lock plastic bag (like a sandwich bag). This includes anything water-based e.g. handcream, lipstick, inhalers, foundation. I take so many bits and pieces of toiletries and make-up that my husband has to present a bag on my behalf!

If you have a look at your airport's website you can find more details. There are frames at the airport to test whether your bag is within size, and apparently some large M&S stores also have them. Basically you need a bag you can lift into the overhead locker or shove under the seat in front of you.

We came back last Sunday on a Thomson flight from Barbados after a P&O cruise. With us was my mother-in-law who took her first flight after being widowed and losing her eyesight in her late 70s (she's now 82). If either of you need any assistance don't be afraid to ask, the airport staff are very willing to help.

Carol x

Have recedived my tickets for the Destiny flying 17th jan 2010 which states 23kgs hold and the booklet information states 5kg hand luggage, athough the travel agent told us it was 7kgs

To upgrade a further 5kgs hold it is £49.50

Have recedived my tickets for the Destiny flying 17th jan 2010 which states 23kgs hold and the booklet information states 5kg hand luggage, athough the travel agent told us it was 7kgs

To upgrade a further 5kgs hold it is £49.50

I don't think Thomson's know themselves. The brochure definitely says 7kg. but the website still says 5kg. for standard class.

No one checked our hand luggage for weight or size at check in the other week.

Mind you I thought at the time that a bag any bigger than the recommended size will have a job going through the security scanners.

Berwyn

Mind you I thought at the time that a bag any bigger than the recommended size will have a job going through the security scanners.

Berwyn

And I find if you stick to the size recommendation for hand luggage 5 Kg more or less fills mine! I think I'd have problems getting 7Kg of stuff in!!

Apart from following the same kind of packing suggestions Carol has made, I put as many heavy items as I can in my hand luggage (couple of paperbacks, binoculars, even a pair or two of shoes) to try to keep my hold luggage under the limit especially since such items as suncream, which IS heavy, has to go in your case as it's above the liquids limit for hand luggage. Buying such items in departures is a good idea - but does depend on what you want being available. (Not always the case in small regional airports where often there's not much choice.)

Hi

We're off tomorrow to stay at Hotel at Manchester Airport for flight (hopefully) Sunday morning to Destiny. Also bit concerned about hand luggage - as far as I can remember I have always had my handbag as well as my hand luggage - has this been tightened up on? Also back of tickets does say 5kg for hand luggage - very confused!!!

Sandie

Perhaps you'd better stick to the 5Kg then to be on the safe side. Can you get your handbag in your handluggage if they do insist on 'just one' item?

Over the years, we've seen people check in with two, even three items of hand luggage and nothing's been said. But the last couple of times, they have asked to see your hand luggage, and we've even had it weighed once. When we did the Caribbean last year, we carried as much as possible on our person through check-in to try to minimise our hand luggage weight (cameras and binnies round our next, umbrella inside jacket pocket, paperback in pocket etc., etc. - it was quite comical really) but nothing was checked that carefully at Gatwick on that occasion and we decanted everything back into our hand luggage afterwards. But since then, I've dedected a tightening up so perhaps best to stick to the rules if possible.

Anyway, have a wonderful time, sandie! I shall be thinking of you in the sun (and warm!). Enjoy. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It still says this if you book online with Thomsons today

Passengers travelling from 01May08 to 30Apr09 will receive a baggage allowance of 25kg in the hold and 5kg in the cabin. With the exception of those flying to Sharm el Sheikh. From 01May09 for all destinations the maximum allowance will be 23kg in the hold and 7kg in the cabin.

But I'd stick with 5kg just to be on the safe side.

To Sharm the allowance was 23KG hold and 7KG carry on with only one carry on allowed. I bought all my toiletries etc in departure at Gatwick and just stuck them in the case but people were clutching additional plastic bags on boarding.

Question - What do you put in your check in case? Mine only weighed 11.2KG.

When we have flown Thomsons to their cruise ship, your handbag is classed as a piece of hand luggage.

What I do is take a Boots or M&S Canvas recycle bag and put my handbag inside it for security and then take it back out. This way I also get my magazines etc in the bag.

The canvas bag then comes in handy when on excursions for souvenirs etc.

What you must remember is that they take your cases off you the night before you dock to return home (usually by 11pm) and store them in crates on the top deck above the pool. So remember to only keep out what you can put in your hand luggage. This is where the canvas bag really comes in handy as I've carried my high heels home in it.

thanks

Jan

Don't panic, they rig covers over the cases to keep the rain off and on the 4 cruises I have been on the collection times were always after midnight.

On my last cruise they were lining up the cases on the dockside on the last day and I noticed my case (from the promenade deck, eyes like hawks) had the security strips broken. Down to reception I went thinking someone has stuffed the case full of drugs and I will spend the next 300 years in a egyptian gaol. No problem, the woman with the uniform and stripes accompanied me off the ship to check and we resealed the case. I apologised for wasting her time but no problem she said they get lots of interesting requests from cruisers to get things from cases.

So remember folks, you need CLOTHES so don't pack them all :D

Archived