Roads to Trafalgar and Emarald Pool

DanielBu

Having driven over 700 miles on Dominica over Christmas/New Years weeks, including the roads in question, let me say the roads are relatively speaking, of equal quality. Trafalger is closer to Roseau than the Emerald Pool is. Maybe that should be what your decision is based on.

Also, most of the route from Canefield (Roseau) to Pont Casse (Emerald Pool) is under construction and is dirt and in theory, closed to through traffic. The detour uses the road up the Layou Valley.

If you're doing a tour, trust your driver. Put it this way, it's a poor country and they can't afford to have accidents. Almost everything is imported, including the car parts.

Yes, the roads can be scary if you have not experienced them before. However, the taxi cab drivers are well accustomed and very experienced in driving under these conditions. This island is a rain forest and roads are also known to flood at which, the drivers stay put until the flooding subsides.

Just make sure you hire a licensed driver, one that has a sticker on the front windshield. If you are highly prone to sea sickness, you may wish to consider sea sickness pills. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Their main source of income is tourism and it is not in their best interest to have anyone get hurt.

Is there nobody who can answer my question?? :-(

Please let some advice....

Daniel

Roads are bumpy, curvey and a little scary but the drivers (2xthere and going again in 3 weeks) handle them well. I just sit at the front of the van so I don't leave anything on the van, if you get what I mean. It is a beautiful island and worth the ride. Enjoy

Archived