Cruising from Baltimore

Justcrusin

My wife and I are considering a cruise from Baltimore in February. We are close to the port and would save us the airfare.

What have peoples experience been with temperatures? We are concerned it may be too cold to enjoy the pool since the first 2 days are sea days.

Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks!

My wife and I are considering a cruise from Baltimore in February. We are close to the port and would save us the airfare.

What have peoples experience been with temperatures? We are concerned it may be too cold to enjoy the pool since the first 2 days are sea days.

Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks!

Hi,

We are cruising on Carnival Prides Sailing on Jan. 24. We chose this cruise since it's only about a 2 1/2 hr drive to the Port of Baltimore for us. I am expecting COLD weather down & back. We got a GREAT price on an inside cabin & regarless of the temps. It has to be WARMER than where we are coming from. We/Me are not pool people so the water temps have no bearing on any cruise regardless from where we sail to or from. This will however be our first & possible only cruise this close to home during the winter months.

With all that going on with the airlines, I'm glad that we aren't flying.

If you really want to sail with warm temps, later on in the year might suit you better.

Happy sailings. Smooth Seas & A Happy New Year.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

We sailed from a little farther up north than Baltimore a few years ago. We lived in Balto and sailed on NCL out of New York city. The first 2 days down and the last 2 coming home were very cold. I had the worst sea sickness I ever encountered, and I usually don't get seasick. The last night at sea before we came back was turbulant, and we encountered a blizzard upon arriving. They delayed the ship's docking by 3 hours because of the weather. It was not a good experience at all. I would rather pay to fly down to Miami or another warmer port and skip all the cold and bad weather. I feel like I lost a couple of good days at sea because of the awful weather. No, you can't enjoy the pool, and pictures of my family on the decks were with coats, scarves, and shivering!

Just found this site yesterday. We are going on the Pride out of Baltimore in May. Did the Legend out of Philly and did the Legend out of NYC. Both cruises were also in May. It was chilly the day we left port but we awoke to warm weather.

That does not help you with this time of year. Sorry I was excited about my first post. I have done 7 carnival cruises, soon to do my 8th and my wife has done 8 Carnival, 2 NCCL cruises.

However, I can tell you from doing the drive to Florida this time of year that it will be very cold when you are in the port of Baltimore and sure to be cold that whole day. When you wake up it should feel much warmer, but I wouldn't think warm enough to swim, but the hot tubs would be nice that time of year.

Hi,

We are cruising on Carnival Prides Sailing on Jan. 24. We chose this cruise since it's only about a 2 1/2 hr drive to the Port of Baltimore for us. I am expecting COLD weather down & back. We got a GREAT price on an inside cabin & regarless of the temps. It has to be WARMER than where we are coming from. We/Me are not pool people so the water temps have no bearing on any cruise regardless from where we sail to or from. This will however be our first & possible only cruise this close to home during the winter months.

With all that going on with the airlines, I'm glad that we aren't flying.

If you really want to sail with warm temps, later on in the year might suit you better.

Happy sailings. Smooth Seas & A Happy New Year.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Joyce I like your thinking. I could not have said it better myself. See you on board the ship on the 24th.

I am also sailing on January 24th out of Baltimore. I could have booked a 4 or 5 night out of Miami, but the pricing when I booked (Balcony Guarantee at an Oceanview Guarantee price) was a little more appealing to me. Not having to fly and go through all of that hassle. I figure with the 7 night out of Baltimore, I get 7 days on the ship and maybe around 4 days of decent weather (out of the cold here in Baltimore).

I know that the first two days are going to be cold if we don't hit a warm spell here, but I am not really a pool person, although I do like sitting out in the warm weather to read or people watch.

I think that if you go with a good attitude about the cruise, the weather won't be a factor.

Vicki

I'll be sailing out of Baltimore this weekend. I'll be sure to relate my experiences but I know it's going to be cold!!!

I don't care if it's cold or not. It's bound to warmer in the Bahamas then it is here on the East Coast right now!!

Besides... a cold day on a cruise ship has got to be better than any warm day at work! :)

I sailed out of NYC in February a couple of years ago and it was a cold until we got past the Outer Banks. By the time we docked at Canaveral, it was 80 degrees out.

I will say this though ... it looks like we're having one of the coldest winters in history this year so any opinions on what was previously is probably just as good as prognostications on what will be.

I just sailed out of NJ this past October and we had some pretty nasty weather. We had rain, wind and pretty high swells. The first sea day was really rough but once we got to Bermuda it was just great. We had bad weather coming back but nothing like going. Even with the bad weather I would cruise again out of NJ or Baltimore. I live in Phila. and it was so nice not to deal with flying. We were home by 11:00 am.

I agree with Duckie - a cold day on a cruise ship is better than a warm day at work.

My family just returned from the New Year's cruise - our first time cruising - and we loved it! We were gone Dec. 27 - Jan. 3, and yes, it was chilly on the way down and on the way back, but we got to lay by the pool when we were in Florida and then the weather was beautiful the next 2 days in the Bahamas. Seas were a bit rough on the way down that first day and on the way back that Saturday. None of us got seasick, but some passengers did. Winds were 40 - 50 knots on the way down and 50 - 60 on the way back.

No matter what the weather, have a great time and enjoy your cruise!

Alli

I have several friends sailing aboard the Pride right now. It has been very cold since they left Baltimore on Sunday. The kids have still been using the pool(brrrr) that is covered by the sliding dome. When they docked this morning in Port Canaveral it wasn't even 40 degrees outside.

i'll be sailing out of baltimore this weekend. I'll be sure to relate my experiences but i know it's going to be cold!!!

I don't care if it's cold or not. It's bound to warmer in the bahamas then it is here on the east coast right now!!

Besides... A cold day on a cruise ship has got to be better than any warm day at work! :)

exactly!!!:d

I'll be sailing out of Baltimore this weekend. I'll be sure to relate my experiences but I know it's going to be cold!!!

I don't care if it's cold or not. It's bound to warmer in the Bahamas then it is here on the East Coast right now!!

Besides... a cold day on a cruise ship has got to be better than any warm day at work! :)

Completely agree... I'd rather be cold on a cruise ship than nice and warm here in my office cubicle :p

Have fun!!!

Diana:)

Thoughts, experiences? Thanks!

It's all right here....live! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1111717

Hi Duckie!

We'll also be onboard starting Sunday - here are the temps I've been finding for our itinerary

Sunday -Baltimore - 30s

Wednesday - Pt Canaveral - 60s

Thursday - Nassau - 70s

Friday - Freeport - 70s

Sunday - Baltimore - well, does it really matter? The cruise will be over and we'll all be smacked in the face by reality. ;)

Archived