Red Sea Magic Excursions

Hi to all YOU experience cruisers.

I and three other adults have booked to go on the Celebration on the 28 January and then stay a second week in Sharm el Sheikh.

Having only done one other cruise before on the Good old Emerald around the Caribbean in which I was able to do a lot of my own excursions. I realise that this will not be so practical for various reasons that I have read on this very imformative forum.

So I seek advise from those who have done this trip ......on the excursions you think were GOOD, and the trips that were NOT so Good

Like many others I have pensil in the following ..Petra...Cairo (pyramids and museum) ..Pardise island for the snorkelling and maybe Luxor although I was slightly put off by how much time you are allowed there.? So I'm now thinking of saving that trip and do it some other time when I do a Nile trip,

as the jouney from the cruise ship must be long before you get to the valley of the Kings

Any other tips relating to this cruise/trip I would be most grateful

Thanks

yes I would do exactly what you have said and save Luxor to do on a Nile Cruise!! there is so much to see there that it would be a mad rush after a very long coach journey.

There are some shorter trips from Safaga....we did a short day at a beach resort one time which was great....and another time a visit to Hurghada with some shopping time which was also good.

I think Petra and the Pyramids are the must do once in a lifetime trips!!

I had pencilled in the Luxor trip as one of my excusrions but after reading about it I am now not so sure. At 15 hours it is VERY long and on the last day of the cruise might be just to much. Getting back after 9pm is not good especially if you like your evening meal early. Maybe that 'submarine' trip will be a better alternative.

yes and there is such a lot to see in Luxor ...perhaps too much for a few hours....I would save it for a Nile cruise you can get one for around 500 pounds including all excursions and a week sailing from Luxor to Aswan visiting all the sites on the way. It was amazing! Thomson do them but we went with Discover Egypt which was good.

Hi

Thanks to Jenny and others for your replies .......I think this time I might give the Luxor trip a miss and do it some other time. I like to get somewhere and have time to see it without the clock ticking, and apart from that getting back to the ship and having to rush around to get a meal and then rush to the show is not my view of heaven.

Anyway thanks again

Still waiting to hear if there were anything that you expert cruisers did NOT like!!

I have read elsewhere that the trip to the Dead Sea was long and not worth it!! I have been to the Dead Sea from the Israeli side and would agree there is not much to see other than water!!!!!

The only other downside I can think of is the pestering to 'Come in my shop and have a look'...the only place this didn't happen was in Aqaba ! but a firm 'No thank you' usually is all that is needed....I have pointed out on several occasions that if they just kept quiet we would probably go in their shop anyway and have a look!!!

Thanks again Jenny for your information

I think you sound to be of the same line of thought as myself when it comes to travelling...Like to see and experience it but dont want the hassle.....Well your area of the country seems close.. 'I'm up the road' from you using an Aussie expression South Glouc;

With this white stuff down at presrnt we are looking forward to going at the end of the month and by the sounds of things (trips) will need the second week to un-wind in sharm el sheikh

Thanks again

You lucky things ...not long to wait now then....we have to wait until the beginning of March when we're doing a Stay (week in Paphos) and Cruise from Cyprus to Syria, Israel and Egypt....on the Spirit.

We do have snow here as well...quite alot too as we live at the top of a hill....we haven't ventured out in the car since last weekend...we've been walking everywhere.!!!

Archived