First time on Carnival (Dream). A few observations.

ottawapuppy

I'd also like to say that this was a great itinerary in terms of ports. I heard a few people grumble about Belize and it is true that you need an excursion there, unless you want to shop for Diamonds or Tanzzanite at the pier. Still, we had a great snorkel trip and I would also really recommend Bannister Island. Very pretty.

Costa Maya was my easy favourite of the trip. So pretty, so easy to do and such a great day. We'll be back!

We didn't get off in Cozumel and that's how Mike got so many great uncrowded shots of the ship. We love staying on a ship when everyone else gets off!

Great review, great site and I too LOVE those jammies. Hope I run into you two on a future cruise.

In the meantime, excuse my stupidity but exactly what is a "cove balcony" and are they only on Dream class?

Thanks and Happy New Year...

Kim

Mike & Lee, thanks so much for the review and insight into the Dream. We're going to be sailing her in May on the same itinerary, in a Spa Balcony.

We were a little concerned with some of the early bad reviews, but it sounds like the Dream is settling into a smooth routine, and I'm confident it will only get better.

By the way, I think there's some cold air down this way that belongs to you, do you mind if we send it back to Canada where it belongs? :)

Mike & Lee, thanks so much for the review and insight into the Dream. We're going to be sailing her in May on the same itinerary, in a Spa Balcony.

We were a little concerned with some of the early bad reviews, but it sounds like the Dream is settling into a smooth routine, and I'm confident it will only get better.

By the way, I think there's some cold air down this way that belongs to you, do you mind if we send it back to Canada where it belongs? :)

Hey Joe,

All our cold weather has been coming up from Colorado so I don't know what to tell you...

I do think the Dream is hitting her stride. As you know, we were trying Carnival for the first time and I had a good time. I think we would do it again in a minute.

Great review, great site and I too LOVE those jammies. Hope I run into you two on a future cruise.

In the meantime, excuse my stupidity but exactly what is a "cove balcony" and are they only on Dream class?

Thanks and Happy New Year...

Kim

They're a balcony that is cut into the ship instead of sticking out from it. They're also down on deck two and I loved the close, unobstructed view of the water!

We're going to be sailing her in May on the same itinerary, in a Spa Balcony.

I heard a few complaints about the Spa rooms on our sailing. From what I understand, the spa areas that are included with these rooms are not key protected so all kinds of people would just come in and use the area. When the spa room folks would complain to the spa attendants that these facilities were full of people who should not be there, nothing was done (sounds much like our cabana experience). One couple was really ripping into a Guest Services agent about this.

I imagine it would not be difficult to put a key lock in place that would only allow access to people who have Spa rooms. I hope they look after this, nobody likes these kinds of confrontations.

Mike

I heard a few complaints about the Spa rooms on our sailing. From what I understand, the spa areas that are included with these rooms are not key protected so all kinds of people would just come in and use the area. When the spa room folks would complain to the spa attendants that these facilities were full of people who should not be there, nothing was done (sounds much like our cabana experience). One couple was really ripping into a Guest Services agent about this.

I imagine it would not be difficult to put a key lock in place that would only allow access to people who have Spa rooms. I hope they look after this, nobody likes these kinds of confrontations.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Hopefully, this is something they will be tweaking before they rack up too many more complaints. Same with the cabana beach at Roatan...I'm hoping these are just things they didn't think of, rather than intentional decisions.

I must piggyback on what many CC posters have already stated...'this was by far the best review and pic(s) I have EVER come across' Your website to include pics...would 'seal the deal' for any person hesitant about the Dream. In fact, I was. I was thinking about canceling the cruise; but now...I am counting down the days!!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you....

Oh one question, you had a pic with a BBQ on the Lanai...is that something that always takes place?

Thanks again...

I must piggyback on what many CC posters have already stated...'this was by far the best review and pic(s) I have EVER come across' Your website to include pics...would 'seal the deal' for any person hesitant about the Dream. In fact, I was. I was thinking about canceling the cruise; but now...I am counting down the days!!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you....

Oh one question, you had a pic with a BBQ on the Lanai...is that something that always takes place?

Thanks again...

The bbq and the brunch are both new things that are supposed to keep happening to keep crowds in the buffet down.

You'd be crazy to cancel. We had a good time. All ships have their speed-bumps and maybe that's truer of big ships but I still think that's a fair trade-off for all that they offer. You'd never see such a great variety of food on a small ship.

Mike & Lee

So happy you enjoyed your first cruise on Carnival. I have been following your site for awhile now and love your reviews, especially the podcasts!!!!

I was terrified that something might have come up that would turn you off from the line, but then again, Carnival rocks! Hopefully, the review you are giving the Dream will rub off on some of those Carnival haters(especially the one who have never sailed). :D:D:D

Mike & Lee

So happy you enjoyed your first cruise on Carnival. I have been following your site for awhile now and love your reviews, especially the podcasts!!!!

I was terrified that something might have come up that would turn you off from the line, but then again, Carnival rocks! Hopefully, the review you are giving the Dream will rub off on some of those Carnival haters(especially the one who have never sailed). :D:D:D

Let's hope. I think there are haters on both sides of the fence and it's all such a waste of energy. I'd rather just keep planning cruises with my time. We've done 6 lines now and I'm not sure that I could tell you a single one of them that was dramatically different than the others, with the possible exception of Holland America which was just too "serene" for our tastes. Maybe in 40 years when we're approaching the average age onboard. :)

Let's hope. I think there are haters on both sides of the fence and it's all such a waste of energy. I'd rather just keep planning cruises with my time. We've done 6 lines now and I'm not sure that I could tell you a single one of them that was dramatically different than the others, with the possible exception of Holland America which was just too "serene" for our tastes. Maybe in 40 years when we're approaching the average age onboard. :)

I hear you on that! I have only been on Carnival and RCL, but I have been eyeing NCL & Princess lately, possibly even MSC.

Life is way too short to live so narrow-mindedly. Wish I had your cruising resume!

Great review. Thanks for the pics. We will be on the Dream in July in adjoining Cove Balcony cabins. I'm curious as to what cabin numbers you were in and how quiet they were. Thanks in advance. Luke

We were in 2264 and it was ok in terms of noise. We heard a fair bit from the corridor (people calling to each other up and dowwn the hall and the children from next door as they were leaving). The slamming balcony doors are a little loud but at least you know your neighbors on one side so that won't be half as bad.

There is very little noise caused by the movement of the ship, which can happen higher up as the ship creaks.

I think you location is slightly better than ours was. Sometimes, people are really noisy as they leave the elevator lobby, which we were closer to. Also, the room attendant station was across from us and they were quite loud, starting very early in the morning. You seem better set up in that way.

Dont mean to repeat, but just a FABULOUS review and... WOW, that website is beautiful!!!! I enjoyed this sooooooo much!!! A million thanks!!!

I could not find a better thing to cheer me up on such a cold dreary day!!!!

Thanks again !!

Gonna bookmark this web site for sure !

:D:D:D

Archived