Does it pay to uprade to all inclusive

For what it's worth our drinks bill for our Christmas/New Year cruise on P&O (got back on Sunday) was £540 for two of us for two weeks. We enjoy a drink but not to excess, and their prices are similar to Thomsons. We worked it out to give us an idea of what it would be worth paying towards an A.I. package, as up to now we have managed to book it for free!

Carol x

Hi maintman:)

This question has popped up quite a lot in the past and I think the answers are always going to be varied depending on personal opinion.

We have always had the AI package, although I must admit we have nearly always managed to get it free by booking early. Having said that we did pay for it last March when we went for 2 weeks in the Caribbean on Destiny. It cost us £298 each for the 2 weeks which we equated to around £20-£21 per day each. What you have think about is not just how much alcohol that equates to, but also how many soft drinks and speciality coffees you may have as well. We have also paid for it on the Destiny next March (Caribbean again) but got it for £98 each (no freebie available) which is a bargain considering the Dream at the same time of year was charging £338 each:eek:

As I say this really is a personal opinion and others on the site will say it's a waste of money so you just have to think about your own situation.

Janet

We got all inclusive upgrade free so no complaints. Have heard if you want Smirnoff vodka you have to ask for it otherwise you get "House" vodka. Water by the bottle is chargeable however bythe glass it isn't. Cider you pay towards and some cocktails. House wine included named wine you pay extra for.

The thomson website is currently charging £749 for 2 to upgrade all inclusive on a Jan 2010 Destiny Carribean cuise, which does appear excessive

Different people will give you different answers. We had the option to buy a week's AI package for around £650 for three adults this year. I quickly calculated that this is roughly equivelent to about 10 drinks each a day at £3 a drink. We certainly don't drink that much (bottled water won't be included) so didn't go for it.

Hi,

As the others say it depends on your habits. We've had the A.I. thrown in "free" for early booking and both times got nowhere near the cost of £169 p.p. and we didn't go thirsty. But our sons, who were with us this time, managed to get through theirs and more.

Drinks average £2.90 for a pint and about £ 3.10 for cocktails. if you want to try and work it out.

Berwyn

We are first time cruisers going on the thompson dream,we are not sure wether to upgrade to AI,Also can we take wine on board to drink in our cabin,if so are we allowed to use mini bar to keep it cool.

We think it is worth it. A few coffees in the morning and a couple of cocktails around the pool during the day. A couple of aperitifs dressing for dinner, wine with the meal followed by a few drinks during the evening shows. It soons adds up.

I like a good drink on holiday so have always found it worthwhile even paying full price. For others this may not be the case.

Yes but if you're on excursions during the day you won't have drinks on board.....we never pay for the AI...as the drinks are a good price anyway and we don't drink that much....why buy coffee when it is free in the buffet 24 hours a day ????

Yes but if you're on excursions during the day you won't have drinks on board.....we never pay for the AI...as the drinks are a good price anyway and we don't drink that much....why buy coffee when it is free in the buffet 24 hours a day ????

You call that Coffee that is free all day....???........:eek:

Oh Smee is it that bad??? must admit we usually drink Tea and that's OK!

It's not bad at all - perfectly drinkable. You can also make tea and I drink gallons of that whilst on board. Perhaps not as good as fresh tea straight from the pot but at least it's free!

It's not bad at all - perfectly drinkable. You can also make tea and I drink gallons of that whilst on board. Perhaps not as good as fresh tea straight from the pot but at least it's free!

I like the fact that you can make your own tea (from quite a good selection too) and brew it to your own taste - and don't we all know EXACTLY how we like our tea! ;) Choice of skimmed/semi-skimmed/full milk is also much appreciated.

I do drink the coffee - but diluted down a bit - but also take some of those cappuccino sachets from a well-known coffee firm (again, perhaps not everyone's taste) with us so that I can make our own using the hot water dispenser in the Lido restaurant. Like everyone else, I love it if we can get a free AI and then take advantage of the free cappuccinos etc as well as the drinks, but we don't find it worth our while to buy the AI - unless it's offerred at a lower rate (£49/£69) as it sometimes is. But if we don't have it, the sachets come in quite useful.

We did for xmas on destiny round carribean and I say go for it cause it takes all the worry away - I do like a drink but after a few days you try to have a quiet one but think about it even a couple of glasses of wine at dinner could be £15 per bottle. A few cans of coke on the day at sea add up - We worked out most nights wine at dinner covered the cost of all-inc as he has white and I have red - two or three with dinner really equates to £30 at dinner and if not all inclusive I still would of drank the same.

We have got it for free for the first time this summer.

We worked it out that it wasn't worth paying for it, if more than £140 each. You can buy bottles of spirit in the duty free shop - we paid £8 for a litre of vodka and you can drink it in your room and use the fridge to your hearts content.

We have brought bottles on wine onboard in our hand and never been stopped. Although we don't drink much in the cabin - well I don't the OH makes sure the vodka is finished.

During the day, I drink Lime and Soda on Thomsons - a pint is £1.20 - they don't charge for the lime,only the can. He drinks coffee so he takes on a larger thermos cup and fills it from the free tea and coffee on deck and there is a water machine with ice on deck too.

Hope this helps

We took cups of tea or hot water from the Lido back to the cabin, the only "problem" was that as we were right at the bow of the ship it was a long way to go and it wasn't all that hot once we got there. In June I am planning to pack my large insulated mug with a lid as I saw many people using last December. I do like my camomile tea (take my own bags) last thing at night!

Carol x

• 4 weeks later...
We have been quoted £539 for 3 weeks per person. No way will we drink that much, its just robbing.

Thinking of booking Caribbean Gems on the Destiny next Feb for our Silver Wedding, priced the cruise and stay on the website and was offerred AI option for £49 each for the 7 day cruise which is a bargain in my book!.

Me and the missus are cruise virgins so don't know what to expect but am really impressed with this forum and all the information,it really helps!.

Archived