San Pedro - DoubleTree vs Crown Plaza

Colorado Kat

Our friends booked the Crown Plaza hotel. ($169) I wanted to try price***line, to get a cheaper rate. (Hoping for the magic $65) I'm worried I might get the DoubleTree. Does anyone know how far apart the hotels are? Walking distance? Would the hotel shuttles take you from one hotel to the other? Or is that tacky for me to request of them?

I'm going to see if I can discover how to isolate the Crown Plaza on price***line. Any tips? (Yes, I'll be searching the threads, but this web-site always cuts me off when I'm most productive....1 or 2 am here:rolleyes:.

Thanks.....

Kathy in Colorado

Our friends booked the Crown Plaza hotel. ($169) I wanted to try price***line, to get a cheaper rate. (Hoping for the magic $65) I'm worried I might get the DoubleTree. Does anyone know how far apart the hotels are? Walking distance? Would the hotel shuttles take you from one hotel to the other? Or is that tacky for me to request of them?

I'm going to see if I can discover how to isolate the Crown Plaza on price***line. Any tips? (Yes, I'll be searching the threads, but this web-site always cuts me off when I'm most productive....1 or 2 am here:rolleyes:.

Thanks.....

Kathy in Colorado

You won't be able to isolate the Crown Plaza. DoubleTree and the Crown Plaza are the only two 3 1/2* hotels in the San Pedro area.

They are a couple miles apart, well within the hotel shuttle's range.

I've been trying for weeks to get either for $65. to $80 for cruise in May. I'm just guessing that it's too far in the future to book.

Here's wishing you good luck on your bidding.

On another note, where in N. Colo. are you from? Were up near Red Feather Lakes.

You won't be able to isolate the Crown Plaza. DoubleTree and the Crown Plaza are the only two 3 1/2* hotels in the San Pedro area.

I've been trying for weeks to get either for $65. to $80 for cruise in May. I'm just guessing that it's too far in the future to book.

On another note, where in N. Colo. are you from? Were up near Red Feather Lakes.

Small world.. I worked at Red Feather Elem for 7 years!! I got the Crown Plaza for $65 for our March cruise. I bid in Sept, so 6 months in advance! Just keep trying.

Kathie, you are going to end up with one or the other, however at the $65 level your more likely to end up at the Crowne Plaza...but there are no guarantees. The hotels are not really within walking distance but for a tip I am all but certain a bellman will shuttle you between hotels.

Sandy & Bud - We're in Fort Collins - lovely day today, isn't it? I stayed home all day, but the snow sure plays havoc with my exercise schedule!

Summercruise & putterdude - thanks for your advice! We don't go till early June, so I've got time. A price of $169 is just annoying.

Kathy in Colorado

Summercruise & putterdude - thanks for your advice! We don't go till early June, so I've got time. A price of $169 is just annoying.

Kathy in Colorado

I hear you, thats what we paid the first time we were there on their "very best rate". Then I found about the rate on Priceline and I was angry enough that I took it up with the reservations manager ....and he gave us a free breakfast.:rolleyes: Now we just book on Priceline at get the $65 rate....however we do prefer the DTI as a hotel.

No question that the Crowne Plaza is closest to the pier, in fact just a couple of blocks, however it is just your average hotel in an urban setting. The DTI is in a quiet park like setting, on one side it has a marina and the LA Yacht club, you can sit on a patio overlooking the marina and have a drink or your lunch....it is to our minds in a classic coastal California setting. Both hotles offer free shuttles to and from the pier so that's a non-starter. The CP has the advantage that you can get out and walk around and do some shopping but we just prefer the DTI's setting.

Which one is closer to the pier? WHy is the DT better? We are booked at the Crowne but would switch if the DT is a better option.

Neither hotel is "better".

They are both equal, but different.

Some people like Putterdude prefer the isolated park and harbor setting of the Doubletree.

Other people say they are bored out there (too quiet) and prefer to be at the Crown Plaza where there are shops, boutiques and restaurants in walking distance all around the hotel.

Basically it's the difference if you are a "country" person, or a "city" person.

Click here to see actual pictures and info on Doubletree:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

Click here to see actual pictures and info on Crowne Plaza:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

I like both of them, and it just depends what I want on each vacation determine which place I book.

Check out the pictures, to see if one makes a preference for you; otherwise whichever one you choose is perfectly fine.

:)

Sandy & Bud - We're in Fort Collins - lovely day today, isn't it? I stayed home all day, but the snow sure plays havoc with my exercise schedule!

Kathy in Colorado

I am in Fort Collins as well. I am ready for the snow to melt! It has stayed around longer than usual this winter!

Thanks CJW...I am going to stick with the CP. This way I can shop for last minute stuff and eat dinner around there as I have heard that the CP restaurant isn't so great. BTW, I LOVE Alexander Skaarsgard!!!!! Yummy!

Just food for thought for those booking future cruises. With Disney guaranteed to use LA as their port they are in preparation of anchoring three ships at a time in LA. Two temporary tents have been constructed with portable walkways constructed and ready for use. So this might make availablilty at the CP and DTI scarce. Also, I never see this place mentioned but you can try and book the Sunrise Hotel as well. It's nothing fancy but it's a bed for the night, close to the pier, and they have a shuttle. Happy cruising!!

We got CP for $77 for 4/30. 2 rooms in fact! We booked it through Priceline mid October.

Keep trying and Good Luck

Archived