Why do P&O take your ship pass card off you?

tom_uk

Something I've wondered: why do P&O take your ship pass card away from you at the end of your cruise? None of the other lines I've cruised with do this. I've got a little collection of old ship pass cards from the likes of Celebrity, Fred Olsen & NCL which I'm rather fond of.

Cunard also now take them at the end of the cruise. Security is probably the explanation, as already mentioned.

Mary

Cunard have been doing this for at least two years, I do not understand why. Security is not an issue as the cards have your name on them with new ones issued when the next lot of passengers arrive onboard. The tills may accept the card, but the names would not agree. They never used to take the cards from you on earlier cruises.

When I was on QM2 and they were keeping the cards at disembarkation a lady in front of me said she had 'accidently' packed her card in her luggage which had been left out the night before. She therefore got to keep hers!

Security is not an issue as the cards have your name on them with new ones issued when the next lot of passengers arrive onboard. The tills may accept the card, but the names would not agree. They never used to take the cards from you on earlier cruises.

I know that, you know that, but it probably doesn't stop the cruise lines, and everyone else, hiding behind it. Perhaps it's that other old chestnut, 'elf'n'safety and they're worried we'll swallow them, trip up on them or suffocate ourselves with them:eek:.

Don't know about you, but I'm keeping mine from the QE maiden. A spot of lateral thinking is probably in order...

Mary

Think that they can not be bothered to swipe them when a lot of people are getting off all at once. They tend to swipe them in batches.

As you say other lines let you keep them.

People have said to me that a couple of days before you get off they go to reception and get another card, claiming they have mislaid theirs. This way they get to keep a card.

Regards security think also that they have you credit card details on them so why should they keep them, they are safer in your hands then P&O.

P&O did it before Cunard. I agree about the ridiculous security reason, especially since they make you sign the back. It just takes on unscrupulous crew member to fake your signature.... Yet we're always being told to be alert in case of identity theft. They're of no use to anyone so no reason to keep them.

Archived