Too much to do in halifax?

My family of 4 (2 girls age 8 & 5) will be in Halifax in mid July. During our stay do you think it's possible to do the Theodore Tugboat, Peggy's Cove, the Citadel, and walk through the market place? Too much? Am I missing something?:confused:

Thanks in advance for your help:)

If you rent a car or hire a driver, you could easily get to Peggy's cove and back in half a day. However, your day does seem jam packed.

Either skip Peggys Cove or the Citadel. I know better than to suggest you miss Theodore Too when you have young children.

If you rent a car or hire a driver, you could easily get to Peggy's cove and back in half a day. However, your day does seem jam packed.

Either skip Peggys Cove or the Citadel. I know better than to suggest you miss Theodore Too when you have young children.

Thanks so much:) Good idea...I may skip the Citadel since the uphill walk may be too much for them, especially the little one.

yes you really should do the Maritime Museum if you haven't done that and I find that a long day in Halifax will allow you to do everything. Rent a car- go to Peggy's cove first-beat the buses from the Cruise line. Also on the way back you should stop by the Cemetery where the bodies from the Titanic are. Shaped as a ship and one " J Dawson" is buried.

We did both Peggy's Cove and Theodore when we were in Halifax a few years ago. We were in port 9 to 6 - went to Peggy's Cove first, then had lunch on the waterfront, then went to ride Theodore. We had time for shopping on the walk back to the ship.

yes you really should do the Maritime Museum if you haven't done that and I find that a long day in Halifax will allow you to do everything. Rent a car- go to Peggy's cove first-beat the buses from the Cruise line. Also on the way back you should stop by the Cemetery where the bodies from the Titanic are. Shaped as a ship and one " J Dawson" is buried.

I forgot about the Maritime Museum...Thanks for the great info:) This is our first cruise..We can't wait!

We did both Peggy's Cove and Theodore when we were in Halifax a few years ago. We were in port 9 to 6 - went to Peggy's Cove first, then had lunch on the waterfront, then went to ride Theodore. We had time for shopping on the walk back to the ship.

Thanks for the info...Theodore is close to the ship, right? This is our first time cruising...a little nervous so I am trying to get as many details as possible:)

Good for you; We just fnished our first cruise and because of all my research, we knew more than most and saw more than most, paying less. Theodore is on the Halifax waterfront but I am not sure how far from the ship. I would guess about a 10 to 15 minute walk.

As the previos poster said, go to Peggys Cove first and then go back to the waterfront (around where the ferry terminal to Dartmouth is at the foot of George Street. Then wander along the waterfront towards the ship and you will go by the dock for Theodore, restaurants, shops and the Maritime museum.

Thanks for your help. I feel like I have been to Halifax already with all the great posts and advice. Saint John, NB seems a little more simple since we're probably staying local and not going to the reversing falls due to the time constraints...:)

We are so excited...July will be here before we know it!

Saint John, NB seems a little more simple since we're probably staying local and not going to the reversing falls due to the time constraints...:)

The first time we went to Saint John, our kids were 4, 8 and 13 and we walked around town and did the one-hour horse-drawn trolley tour. My favorite in Saint John is the City Market - think combination farmer's market, restaurants, and craft fair. It's a very easy walk from the port.

The first time we went to Saint John, our kids were 4, 8 and 13 and we walked around town and did the one-hour horse-drawn trolley tour. My favorite in Saint John is the City Market - think combination farmer's market, restaurants, and craft fair. It's a very easy walk from the port.

That sounds great! I didn't know about the Trolley...My girls will love it! Thanks:)

• 2 weeks later...

The Citadel isn't really all that far of walk from where Theodore is. Downtown Halifax is SMALL. However if you had to choose between the Citadel and Peggy's Cove, I'd go to Peggy's Cove. I LOVE it there... it's gorgeous and there are some neat little shops. There's the main restaurant near the lighthouse, but there's also a small little place that service lobster and chips...I forget the name, but it's literally a shack, and it's the best food ever!!! (and home to the biggest lobster you will ever see in your life - it's MASSIVE!)

Ok, I just googled, and it's Murray's Wharfside Lobster Pound

Here's what I found that can help you find it (TOTALLY within walking distance of the lighthouse....Peggy's Cove is SMALL!!)

"For a meal in Peggy's Cove minus the tourist hordes, follow the sign to Murray's Wharfside Lobster Pound. Place your order inside the shack, choose a table and soak in the laid-back seaside ambience."

http://www.destinationunknownjournals.com/travelnotes/novascotia/murrayslobster1_xl.jpg

http://www.destinationunknownjournals.com/travelnotes/novascotia/murrayslobster2_xl.jpg

http://www.destinationunknownjournals.com/travelnotes/novascotia/murrayslobster3_xl.jpg

http://tw.macgugan.net/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=40&imageId=1364

edit: Just realized the first three links aren't opening...try http://www.destinationunknownjournals.com/DUJtravelnotes_novascotia.html and scroll down to pretty much the bottom of the page. There's a pic of colourful picnic tables on a wharf, and a "diner" looking place... you can click on each pic to make them larger.

There's a free bus that stops at the Halifax cruise terminal with stops at the Maritime Museum, the Citadel, a nice park, and a shopping mall. You can hop on and off at your convenience.

I was in Halifax last June and there was definitely a hop on/hop off bus but it certainly wasn't free! Was it the double decker bus or just a regular city bus? We had to buy tickets in the terminal when we got off the ship for the double deckers which did 3 circuits. We could have bought them at one of the stops but a friend of mine (who didn't take the bus with us) found out that the cost was much higher than what cruiseline passengers were paying. I honestly can't remember what we paid but it wasn't cheap! We could have actually walked everywhere but it was torrential rain that day. Halifax is really not that big a city and can be easily walked, with the possible exception of the Citadel.(not with young children) and of course Peggy's Cove. The Maritime Museum is literally a five minute walk from where the ships dock. I'm not sure where Theodore is...we didn't see him when we were there.

• 2 weeks later...

Fred is definitely free but can be busy particularly if there is more than one ship in. Peggy's Cove will be an hour's bus ride to and from and I know we used to go up and around Citadel Hill on the way out.Most tours allow an hour in Peggy's Cove itself.

There are some very good small van companies who do customized tours at good prices.

The most common misconception about distances in Halifax is that the Museum and shops are a 5 minute walk from the cruise pier.Count on twice that and only if you are not stopping along the way.

Having said that, the walk is a pleasant one along the boardwalk.

Theodore is no more than 5 minutes from the museum, if that.

You can request a free Halifax Visitor guide from vic-water@gov.ns.ca or through www.halifax.ca. It includes a map of the downtown. From the vic-water address you can also request info on distances, prices, tours etc. if you like.

Wow...! Thanks for the great advice. This is our first cruise and first time out of the country. I will be sure to visit the site for the Halifax guide! Question to you...I have 2 girls ages 8 and 5. Should we just rent a car or should we go with the van tour to Peggy's Cove...?

Our plans are in this order...Peggy's Cove, Maritime,Theodore, MarketPlace...I think this should be OK...Hopefully:o

Archived