Bangkok, Transportation from Klong Teoy to the Grand Palace

OneMoreTime

We are sailing on Azamara Quest, 23 January, Southeast Asia. The ship is scheduled to dock in Klong Teoy. We are trying to determine the best way to get to the Grand Palace on our own. It sounds like traffic can be an issue and we're looking for the fastest route.

The BTS SkyTrain route map suggests there is a MRT stop at Khlong Toei, from there you get on the SILOM line at Si Lom or Sala Daeng, then take it to the end at the south end S6 and take a water taxi to the Grand Palace (several stops away but hard to miss).

We used public transportation quite a bit last year but were staying right near the Si Lom / Sala Daeng stations. It was pretty user-friendly. (We'll on the Quest 2/20 sailing).

We are on the same cruise and I asked aswell hope far we are away from town.

Maybe we are going to take a taxi to town, but some people told me there would be a shuttle bus from azamara.

We are on the same cruise and I asked as well hope far we are away from town.

Maybe we are going to take a taxi to town, but some people told me there would be a shuttle bus from azamara.

Last time Azamara was in port the shuttle bus was only for their staff.

Taxi is certainly your best bet. The ship docks at the farthest end of the port from the main gates and from there to the MRT it's at least two kms.

Just back from the Dec 22 sailing. In Bangkok, taxis are cheap cheap cheap but the taxis at the ship charge too much ($20 to Grand Palace). There IS a shuttle at the pier (contrary to what the cruise line says), just ignore the taxi guys at the ship and look for it. It will take you to the port gates where taxis are waiting. We found this out the second day in port. You will need to negotiate with them or try to make them us the meter. Good luck. We negotiated 100 Baht to the palace.

And more advice, ignore the touts telling you the Palace (or anyplace) is closed when you get there, just walk past them. They will try to take you to gift shops. Same with taxis, don't get in one that wants to make a stop.

A metered taxi fare from Downtown back to the ship is about 95 or 100 Baht ( Three Dollars !). Traffic is only real bad around the intersections downtown by the shopping malls and Skytrain stations.

srqDan, very helpful info!!! What cruise line were you on....Azmara? We're on Oceania and our travel agent told us that there are no shuttles to the Klong Toey port gate so hope we have the same experience as you did.

Klong Toey town looks like a terrible place, from the research I've done on the internet but certainly the port is more convenient than Laem whatever, 2.5 hours from Bangkok.

srqDan, very helpful info!!! What cruise line were you on....Azmara? We're on Oceania and our travel agent told us that there are no shuttles to the Klong Toey port gate so hope we have the same experience as you did.

Klong Toey town looks like a terrible place, from the research I've done on the internet but certainly the port is more convenient than Laem whatever, 2.5 hours from Bangkok.

Yes, we were on the 18 day Azamara Quest cruise. We were told there was no shuttle to the port gate but there was.

Klong Toey is not that bad of an area, I had read the same things on the threads. It is a good walk to the port gate if no shuttle is there. The port is close to town. Always take written port address with you for the taxis. Some don't know their way around the port once you are through the gates so they need a little guidance.

We also had a port call to Hanoi and that was 3.5 hours away.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived