Kids Clubs - NCL vs. CCL (previous DCL cruisers)

mom22tinks

My husband and I had been on 2 Carnival cruises in the 90's. Since having kids we have gone on 3 Disney cruises which my 9 and 7 year olds have loved. I wanted to cruise over Easter break this year, but Disney is almost double the cost of NCL or CCL.

My questions are.... How are the kids clubs on NCL and CCL. Do you prefer one over the other? Do you feel restricted with the times they run since Disney is open so much by comparison? Do you really have to get the kids from the clubs to eat meals with you? (my children like having meals in the clubs occaisionally and we hate rushing everywhere to meet times and deadlines when we are on vacation) Do they have pagers like Disney CL? And, if not, would my nextel push to talk phones work on it if I gave one to my kids?

Also, since NCL and CCL have anytime dining, you don't have a chance to get to know your tablemates. How do you meet other families... as we enjoy hanging out with other couples in the evenings watching shows, goign to bars..etc. while the kids are in the clubs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Carnival Ecstasy '95

Carnival Fantasy '97

Disney Wonder '07

Disney Wonder'08

Disney Magic '09

Never have cruised on Carnival but my daughter has loved the Kids Clubs on NCL. She never wanted to leave. She will be too old for Kids Club this year and is somewhat disappointed. (but is looking forward to the teen club....lol)

Let me say this, I have never sailed Disney BUT Disney's Kids Club is a completely different experience and one should not try to compare the Disney Kids Club to that of any of the mainstream lines (NCL, Carnival, RCCL, HAL, Princess). Disney will be far superior to the others in this area.

The kids pool areas on ships like the Dawn & Star are excellent as well.

As far as Freestyle Dining, you will still meet people. The anytime dining allows you much flexability in evening plans. Early dinner as a family before the Kids Club opens or feed the kids and drop them off and have a late adult dinner.

Our kids love the clubs on Carnival. Our oldest is now 18 and is upset that she can no longer attend.

On Carnival, Anytime Dining is an option, so is assigned. Some cruises we have sat with other families and other cruises we have had tables by ourselves.

We meet people by attending the various events around the ship and by joining the roll call for our cruise. We've even met people just by standing at the atrium railing while doing our "people-watching".

We've never been on NCL.

Our kids have been DCL and CCL. They prefer CCL kids club. I enjoyed the shows on DCL but it's not worth the price. We do take them to Disney every year, so they may be a little burnt out on it. They have been on 5 CCL ships(Fantasy and Conquest Class) starting when they were 3 and 4 years old. They feel the CCL activities are more fun. Hope this helps.

Archived