Dubai and Emirates Cruises

pooley

We were in Dubai and Muscat on the Tahitian Princess in November. In Dubai, the ship's half day tours were $39 or $44, except the one including tea at Burj al Arab, which was $349. In Muscat they ranged from $44 to $129.

thanks for your nfo what did you think of the places its somewhere completely different for us as we usually do the caribbeanam looking foward to it and would be grateful for an tips on anything special to do

Both ports were very interesting. Like you we had never been to either of them.

We took a ships tour in each port. In Muscat, we took a tour to the Grand Mosque, the Souk (market) and a museum. It was $44.

In Dubai, we had photo stop near Barj al Arab Hotel, had beverage in mall with indoor ski resort, passed palace and mosque, stopped at Gold Souk. Also saw Barj Dubai now tallest building in the world at about 2700 feet. Tour was $39

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the same cruise in March. We made plans through arabiahorizons.com.....about half the price of the ship tours. Also check out viator.com. We also made some arrangements through localyte.com.

For something other than tours look at theyellowboats.com. We are considering that for Abu Dhabi. It has been difficult trying to find private guides at reasonable prices.Good Luck!

Hi Pooley,

We (my husband, son and myself) are on the 15th February sailing too - we are also from Cheshire - from sunny Nantwich!! We fly out from Manchester on Sunday 14th with Emirates.

We are also debating over which tours to do - I am hoping we will get some reviews when the first few Dubai cruises are completed.

Cheers - Helen

we are in Crewe !!! How old is your son our daughter is 10 and I am a bit concerned that she may not like this cruise so much but at least hopefully the sun will shine! We fly from Heathrow on the 14th with Qatar airways unfortunately so we hav to go down south but have family there so will make a weekend of it before we fly, would be nice t know someone on the ship !!!:p

Hi Pooley - What a small world we live in - Hello to you in Crewe !!

Our son, George, is 13 years old - he is in Year 9 at Shavington High School. I hope there will be a few children on board - it is half term after all. George has enjoyed the many facilities on the Liberty of the Seas on our last two cruises and I think he will miss the flowrider. As an only child it helps if they are happy - i'm sure you will agree.

Have you decided which excursions to do ? - We have only ever cruised in the Caribbean before and usually book independant tours.

I hope we get some feedback in the next few weeks from those on the Brilliance before us.

Looking forward to a bit of sun anyway.

Speak soon

Helen, ****** and George:cool:

Emily too is an only child and she loves the kids club etc as then she doesn't have to join mum and dad for dinner and boring trips etc!!! We too have done our own thing when in the caribbean and europe but don't feel quite so happy about doing it in the Middle East. Will probably do our own thing in Dubai but will book a city tour for Muscat and Abu Dhabi we have friends who will be in Bahrain at the same time so will meet up with them and will stay on the ship when in Fujairah as have heard its not all that interesting. Looking forward to the sun whatever we do !!! Regards Sarah :p

Hi I am also from Cheshire, just outside Northwich in a village called Moulton, on the way to Crewe and Nantwich.

We are on the 22nd March sailing, really looking forward to it as we have not been to that part of the world before.

We have booked a 3 night pre cruise hotel and are hopefully going to make use of the hop on hop off bus in Dubai.

Also quite fancy the 4x4 jeep tours.

I am hoping that we can book up at the tour desk in our hotel once we get there.

Would love to hear your experiences once you get back.

Have a great time :)

Angie

Edited by Angie1961

Can anyone help with excursions in Dubai,Bahrain, Muscat etc we are on Brilliance of the Seas 15th feb 2010 seem quite expensive to book all wih cruise line.

We were in both Muscat and Dubai in 2005 and again this past November. If you do not want to take the ship's tour in Muscat and would rather spend your time in the souk, it is a very, very easy walk from the ship. You can walk through the fish market on your way. Just be aware of when the hops in the souk are open. When we were there this past November, they were closed in the PM and I'm not sure if that is the case everyday or not. At the entrance to the souk, there are few restaurants with outdoor seating. They serve a great selection of fruit drinks and ice sundaes, among other continental and local dishes.

A good way to see the sights in Dubai is to take the Hop-On Hop-Off (HOHO) bus. They have a ticket agent in the cruise terminal that also sells tickets for other sightseeing, eg. Dubai Creek dhow river cruises. The HOHO bus is right at the cruise terminal so you do not have to take a taxi to meet it somewhere else. If you decide to do the HOHO bus thing, I recommend to do it early enough in the day so that you see lots. This is popular and cruise passengers line up to get information and tickets from this agent. I believe you can also get them on-line??? Because Dubai has grown so much, there are now two tour options - the red and blue lines. If you google Dubai Hop-On Hop-Off bus tours, it will show you the map and routing.

The cruise terminal has free internet, whether you use their terminals or you bring your own lap top.

The Queen Elizabeth 2 is docked here while it goes through refubrishment and will eventually be a floating hotel in Dubai.

- Grace

Edited by plimsol

We were in Dubai for a cruise Feb., 2009. We arrived very early in the morning, dropped our luggage at the ship, grabbed a cab, and headed for The Palm and the Atlantis Hotel. We couldn't see much at the hotel because most was blocked off for guests. We enjoyed seeing all the different kinds of buildings on The Palm. Next we headed to Emirates Mall to see Ski Dubai; we watched people skiing from TGI Fridays, then walked the mall and sat outside the super market watching all the expats and the Arab men with their entourages of women in their black, all-covering dress. We were just killing time for our big event: tea at Burj al Arab. We sat looking over the water at the Atlantis Hotel, the World, and observed a fleet of sail boats below us striking their sails and being towed into port.

Muscat: We took a ship's tour that was 4 hrs of travel and 4 hrs of touring. We arrived Nizwa to visit Jabrin Castle and Nizwa Fort with lunch in between.

Fujairah: Took a ship's tour that visited the Fujairah Museum, the Heritage Village, and viewed the Al Badiya mosque, the oldest mosque in the UAE.

Abu Dhabi: Took ship's tour that visited Abu Dhabi Cultural Foundation , the Heritage Village, and viewed many of the sculptures displayed in the highway median.

Bahrain: Ship's tour around the city and to the Formula 1 track. There we were able to go to the top of the building that the Emir watches races from and look over the whole race course. Great for race fans.

Upon arriving back in Dubai we took a ship's tour that took us to a beach to view Burj al Arab, passed the now newly dedicated Burj Khalifa (was named Burj Dubai when we were there), the tallest building in the world and then downtown to see the old city. I have a great photo of an Arab man in flowing robes leaning into the wind off the bow of one of the water taxis as it crossed the river. Right after we returned home we read of the very difficult and exploited lives of all those men waiting on the bank for the same water taxi.

The cost of these tours ranged from 47 Euros for a half-day to 80 Euros for the full day tours which often traveled great distances. Not bad considering tea at Burj al Arab cost about $107 each.

Despite its exploitative character, we still enjoyed Dubai. We left in a sandstorm and arrived home to a snow storm.

Edited by Twaincruisers

• 2 weeks later...

We're also going on this cruise on 15th February. We've booked a desert safari with arabia horizon tours for 215 AEDs each

for the 21st of February. Description sounds the same as ship cruise, but seems a lot cheaper. If anyone has done this excursion or used arabia horizon will they confirm ok.

We're also going on this cruise on 15th February. We've booked a desert safari with arabia horizon tours for 215 AEDs each

for the 21st of February. Description sounds the same as ship cruise, but seems a lot cheaper. If anyone has done this excursion or used arabia horizon will they confirm ok.

There seem to be many companies that offer the same excursions for much less money. I have booked a night safari bbq with exotictravel.ae and I'll bet we see people from every other tour company and the cruise excursion at that same bbq dinner!:):)

My family 2ads and 2 kids (7 and 6) and 2 grand parents from Paignton in Devon are on the same cruise on the 11/04/10

I have done as much internet research as possible, but as I am sure all you guys have found, tourist info is few and far between. But here are some of my thoughts/plans for things to do.

Dubai....

4x4 evening desert safari. Got a quote of 1000AED for sole use of a land cruiser with pick up and drop off from our hotel with North Tours.

Will probably go to Aqua adventure and Burj Khalifa (book tickets online)

Fujairah....

There seems to be what looks like a nice beach resort just to the north called Khor Fakkan, aparantly it is popular with arab holiday makers. If you look on google earth and follow the coast road I would suggest its about a 20 min cab ride. There is also a wadi/waterfall 4.5ks away (from Khor Fakkan) called warayah falls, however I am not sure if you need a 4x4 to reach it.

Also a little further north again is a place called "Snoopy Island". It is supposed to be great for snorkelling, but I am not sure how easy it is to get equipment etc, however there is a hotel on the beach here (sandy beach hotell), so I guess they must do Hire etc.

I think we may head to Khor Fakkan and see if there are any boat/snorkelling trips for an hour or 2).

Muscat..

Will probably have a look round the muttra souk, which is walking distance from the port.

However there is a RCCL tour of the city and forts which worked out at reasonable value.

Abu Dhabi..

Really just want to look round the city and sea side corniche. The best way I think I am going to do this is the hop on hop off "Big Red Bus" . So if the there is something we want to see we can just get off when we want. You can find a route map and cost on their website (but I am not sure where the nearest stop to the port is).

Bahrain

Can find very little of interest here. However the ships tour "ancient and modern" looks quite good.

I will also be taking USD for all the ports for taxi fares apart from Dubai.

Please remember that the above info is just info I have found.

I hope people can keep this thread going, as I am looking every day for reviews of people just coming off the ship and have not been to this region before. So peoples experience and advice will be much appreciated.

Regards all

Mark

We've just returned from the cruise on the Brilliance last week so I hope I can help you with your trip planning. Bear in mind that at all the ports of call the ship docks at massive container ports at least a few miles out of the town and passengers aren't allowed to walk around them which is why the shuttle buses are laid on for passengers. They aren't the pretty little harbours that I'd expected like in the Caribbean etc.

Muscat - we took the free shuttle into Muttrah which is the nearest town to where we docked. From there we had a wander around the souk which was very tradional, and walked along the promenade for a bit. I know some passengers actually walked from there into Muscat itself, but we opted for the easy way and got a taxi with an English speaking driver for $20 for an hours tour. He took us to see the palace, government buildings, pointed out the museum and took us inside the local 6 star hotel as well as stopped for photos at a beauty spot. We didn't go to the mosque as it was shut for prayers by the time we got there and was a bit further out but I'm sure we could've done if we'd asked and been prepared to pay a bit extra. NB if there are a larger group of you you may be able to negotiate a better deal still, a group of 6 from the ship got the same tour for $35 toal in a mini bus.

Fujairah - we can't comment on as we didn't get off the ship, though talking to others who had they weren't impressed. We suspect the stop was for refuelling!

Abu Dhabi - we opted to pay $30 in total for 2 return tickets on the shuttle to get into the town centre only to find that the hop on hop off buses actually go from the port right next to the ship. Funnily enough there was no mention of that in RCI vacation information! The tour is worth doing as AD is a big city and theres lots to see - unfortunately most of it is shut on Fridays! Quite why they chose this day to visit instead of swopping it with Fujairah is a mystery! Don't believe the ships staff when they say that the shops open at 1p.m., one mall (the one the shuttle drops you at) opened at 2pm the other 4pm. The Heritage Village which the hop on off bus stops at, and of the course the mosque is closed all day.

Bahrain - having read some horror stories on TA about people being ripped off by taxi drivers there a few weeks before, we opted for the safe option and booked a RCI tour. Unfortunately it didn't get off to the best of starts as the ship was an hour late docking through no fault of its own I have to say. Consequently the 5 hour tour we booked was obviously late leaving and this was aggravated by the guide not being informed how many passengers were on the trip, no ships staff around to ask and no one answering his calls when he rang to enquire.....The tour we booked was R108 Best of Bahrain and cost $99 each. It took us to a fort, museum, Bahrain International Race Circuit and Grand Mosque. The fort and museum were Ok (Im not really into history too much but it was interesting). The visit to the BIC was excellent - and I'm no sports enthusiast! It included a visit to the souvenier shop (no pressure to buy tho) where they had some racing memorbilia, cars, helmets, trophies etc on display. Then onto the grandstand, media centre, control tower - we even had chance to stand on the podium and take photos! I have read other reviews of the same trip which thought it was a wast of time but they didn't get to see as much as we did by the sound of it so maybe we were lucky with our guide? The last part of the trip was to the Grand Mosque which from the trip info beforehand gave the distinct impression that we would be able to go inside, so I went suitably dressed etc, but was disappointed to have just a 5 minute photo stop outside! This was particularly annoying as we'd obviosly not been able to go into AD mosque the day before either! When I queried it with the guide he said it had never been planned to go into the mosque so I suspect RCI were a little economical with the truth in its description as I know from earlier posts on the Bahrain forum that it had been included a few weeks before. If you do opt for this trip, try and take some snacks with you as theres no time allocated for eating although we managed to get a quick sandwich to take out from a cafe in the museum near the fort which was the first stop.

Hope this helps with your plans!

My family 2ads and 2 kids (7 and 6) and 2 grand parents from Paignton in Devon are on the same cruise on the 11/04/10

I have done as much internet research as possible, but as I am sure all you guys have found, tourist info is few and far between. But here are some of my thoughts/plans for things to do.

Dubai....

4x4 evening desert safari. Got a quote of 1000AED for sole use of a land cruiser with pick up and drop off from our hotel with North Tours.

Will probably go to Aqua adventure and Burj Khalifa (book tickets online)

Fujairah....

There seems to be what looks like a nice beach resort just to the north called Khor Fakkan, aparantly it is popular with arab holiday makers. If you look on google earth and follow the coast road I would suggest its about a 20 min cab ride. There is also a wadi/waterfall 4.5ks away (from Khor Fakkan) called warayah falls, however I am not sure if you need a 4x4 to reach it.

Also a little further north again is a place called "Snoopy Island". It is supposed to be great for snorkelling, but I am not sure how easy it is to get equipment etc, however there is a hotel on the beach here (sandy beach hotell), so I guess they must do Hire etc.

I think we may head to Khor Fakkan and see if there are any boat/snorkelling trips for an hour or 2).

Muscat..

Will probably have a look round the muttra souk, which is walking distance from the port.

However there is a RCCL tour of the city and forts which worked out at reasonable value.

Abu Dhabi..

Really just want to look round the city and sea side corniche. The best way I think I am going to do this is the hop on hop off "Big Red Bus" . So if the there is something we want to see we can just get off when we want. You can find a route map and cost on their website (but I am not sure where the nearest stop to the port is).

Bahrain

Can find very little of interest here. However the ships tour "ancient and modern" looks quite good.

I will also be taking USD for all the ports for taxi fares apart from Dubai.

Please remember that the above info is just info I have found.

I hope people can keep this thread going, as I am looking every day for reviews of people just coming off the ship and have not been to this region before. So peoples experience and advice will be much appreciated.

Regards all

Mark

Just a couple of things:

PLEASE MAKE SURE the kids will be allowed on the dune safari adventure. Many of the tours restrict the age to 10 or older. I vividly remember a lady this spring at the Dubai Hyatt very upset as they would not let her 8yo daughter go on the dune adventure, even in the 4WD vehicles (not the ATV's or dune buggies). DO NOT expect seat belts/child seats. Those are rare in the Middle East.

Wild Wadi, IMHO, is better than Aquaventure. Truly over the top water park. Your kids might also enjoy Ski Dubai-they can sled, build snowmen, play in the snow (which is sooo weird when it is 100F outside) and even ski (lessons available). There is a MickeyD's about 2 miles from Wild Wadi on Jumeriah Beach Rd that has a playroom as large as a small US Walmart. I was astounded all the room dedicated to play.

Please do not try to use USD in the Middle East. It is really frowned on and will not be accepted in quite a few places. Either exchange money on the ship, get local currency out of an ATM or get it from your home bank.

Please wear something like light cotton pants and a long sleeve lightweight shirt-both men and women. Westerners are NOT enhancing their image showing up in tank tops, shorts, baseball hats on sideways, etc. etc. You will be more comfortable weatherwise and culture wise with long pants and a long sleeved shirt. I hear the comments all the time about "disrespect" from the local Middle Easterners I work with. BE prepared for "squat" toilets when out on tour anytime off the beaten path. I usually wear a long, wrap around skirt which is cool and comfortable and MUCH easier to deal with if you run into a "squat" toilet. MAKE SURE you have plenty of wet wipes-tp is not always available.

Other than in Dubai, your kids are going to find little they enjoy on a short port stop. Sorry. As someone who has spent a lot of time all over the Middle East in the last year for business, the souks, museums and mosques look pretty much the same no matter what country you are in. Abu Dhabi is just downright boring.

One of the Dhow cruises in Bahrain may interest you. Lunch and cruising along the shore. The Middle East used to be very huge in the pearl diving industry. There are still tours in Bahrain and Kuwait (and probably others) that explore this ancient industry. Bahrain is FILLED with Western expats/US government contractors on the weekends (unless they change the law which is under consideration). Too expensive to go to Dubai very often and the booze and parties flow freely for those escaping their jobs in Iraq and Kuwait for the weekend.

I leave again tomorrow night for the 4th trip to the Middle East in the last year. I really like it over there, but it is CERTAINLY different.

Edited by greatam

We are going on the same cruise in March. We made plans through arabiahorizons.com.....about half the price of the ship tours. Also check out viator.com. We also made some arrangements through localyte.com.

For something other than tours look at theyellowboats.com. We are considering that for Abu Dhabi. It has been difficult trying to find private guides at reasonable prices.Good Luck!

Hi - did you have to pay for the tour before your departure, and please advise how it works. What did you book through arabia horizons, i was looking at the Desert Safari. Do you know how far the beaches are from the port.

• 10 months later...
Hello:

We are going to be on the Brillance Feb, 2011. Were the formal nights very formal (Tuxes & Gowns?)

Thanks

E-mail us at deangayle@rogers.com while we are on board the ship (we depart Barcelona on Jan 10, 2011) and we will advise. I am taking a tuxedo as well as a white dinner jacket; but expect many of the men will be in suits for the formal nights

DEAN

Edited by DGF