What time do the double decker tour busses start operating?

kwbound

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to when do the stores open and vendors set up, I have been wondering what time most of them close down for the day. Does anyone know? I would assume that they would all be open at least until the cruise ships require people to be back on board. Am I assuming correctly? Thanks for any info.

In addition to when do the stores open and vendors set up, I have been wondering what time most of them close down for the day. Does anyone know? I would assume that they would all be open at least until the cruise ships require people to be back on board. Am I assuming correctly? Thanks for any info.

See my answer above. At night many of the businesses along the waterfront close down. A number of the bars and shops do stay open. Progreso is also a vacation destination for Mexicans citizens not just cruise ships. Progreso actually has a very active night life that the poor cruise ship tourist never get to see. Great area to go and spend a few days or weeks. Several thousand expats live in the Progreso/Merida area.

I have read a lot on here about the double decker bus, is it right there at the end of the pier or do you have to go somewhere and sign up for it??? It's not with the cruise, right? sounds like fun

It is located at the stop where the courtesy bus drops you off in town. It is fun and a great way to get a quick layout of Progreso. Don't forget to duck!

• 3 weeks later...
It is located at the stop where the courtesy bus drops you off in town. It is fun and a great way to get a quick layout of Progreso. Don't forget to duck!

Ok Mr traveler I have to ask...why duck? lol. do you feel like you'll hit trees or will you hit trees?

Now for the serious part of the post. I've been snooping around here looking at different options for progresso (have coz figured out). I'm thinking of doing the double decker and then strolling to the beach (is it free) and getting the massages for DW and I (15pp?). I'm assuming from your post that once to the drop off from the shuttle there'll be signs or people asking about the double decker? Once we find and ride this we get dropped off back at the same spot, will it be easy to find the beach area that's next to the pier? I think I read someone said it's only 2 blocks away?

Sorry for all the questions. I booked the cruise as a surprise for DW and alot closer to departure than we have in the past which leaves alot less time to get everything together. Any insight or direction would be greatly apperciated!

Ok Mr traveler I have to ask...why duck? lol. do you feel like you'll hit trees or will you hit trees?

Now for the serious part of the post. I've been snooping around here looking at different options for progresso (have coz figured out). I'm thinking of doing the double decker and then strolling to the beach (is it free) and getting the massages for DW and I (15pp?). I'm assuming from your post that once to the drop off from the shuttle there'll be signs or people asking about the double decker? Once we find and ride this we get dropped off back at the same spot, will it be easy to find the beach area that's next to the pier? I think I read someone said it's only 2 blocks away?

Sorry for all the questions. I booked the cruise as a surprise for DW and alot closer to departure than we have in the past which leaves alot less time to get everything together. Any insight or direction would be greatly apperciated!

No problem, my pleasure to help you.

1.The overhead wires in town are just barely higher than the bus.

2. Yes the beach is free. There are many beach bars set up. Nice cooling shade and inexpensive drinks (compared to Cozumel).

3. You cannot miss the double decker bus stop. It is where the busses from the ships drop off and pick up.

4. From the bus stop it is about 2 blocks to the beach. Take a left from the bus stop head west and you will run in the beach.

5. Messages run about $15 for about an hour rubdown. Very good deal for the money.

Have a great time in Progreso. It is still a slice of old Mexico. Very laid back and relaxed without all the glitz of other cruise ship ports.

No problem, my pleasure to help you.

1.The overhead wires in town are just barely higher than the bus.

2. Yes the beach is free. There are many beach bars set up. Nice cooling shade and inexpensive drinks (compared to Cozumel).

3. You cannot miss the double decker bus stop. It is where the busses from the ships drop off and pick up.

4. From the bus stop it is about 2 blocks to the beach. Take a left from the bus stop head west and you will run in the beach.

5. Messages run about $15 for about an hour rubdown. Very good deal for the money.

Have a great time in Progreso. It is still a slice of old Mexico. Very laid back and relaxed without all the glitz of other cruise ship ports.

Super! Thanks for the fast responce and great info. It's nice to know that if I wish for a new hairdo all I need is a long metal pole and perfect timing :D. Are there chairs at the beach free or rentable? I saw picks that appeared to be crowded but I'm not terribly worried about that since we are going off peak in March. we're more of the lazy beach type (DW) compared to the wild swimmers (me) LOL. Perfect example of the man song... I'm the boss (when she lets me)

Super! Thanks for the fast responce and great info. It's nice to know that if I wish for a new hairdo all I need is a long metal pole and perfect timing :D. Are there chairs at the beach free or rentable? I saw picks that appeared to be crowded but I'm not terribly worried about that since we are going off peak in March. we're more of the lazy beach type (DW) compared to the wild swimmers (me) LOL. Perfect example of the man song... I'm the boss (when she lets me)

The beach bars all have chairs, shade and entertaining staff. Basicaly free, however it is expected that you purchase something from them. Drinks and a snack would be good. March is a good time to go to Progreso, not so hot and the locals from Merida usually have not started their summer vacations. It can get pretty busy in Progreso and the surrounding area in the summer, specialy on the weekends from the locals visiting. Plus throw in the cruise ship passangers (with all the good and bad that has come from that).

The beach bars all have chairs, shade and entertaining staff. Basicaly free, however it is expected that you purchase something from them. Drinks and a snack would be good. March is a good time to go to Progreso, not so hot and the locals from Merida usually have not started their summer vacations. It can get pretty busy in Progreso and the surrounding area in the summer, specialy on the weekends from the locals visiting. Plus throw in the cruise ship passangers (with all the good and bad that has come from that).

Oh no worries about buying something LOL. I don't see how you can go to a beach bar and not buy anything. I'm sure it'll be a lazy day with many good drinks and with drinks comes the need for snacks (hence the term beer nuts lol). It sounds as if you've been there a time or 2, do you have any pics of this beach by chance?

Oh no worries about buying something LOL. I don't see how you can go to a beach bar and not buy anything. I'm sure it'll be a lazy day with many good drinks and with drinks comes the need for snacks (hence the term beer nuts lol). It sounds as if you've been there a time or 2, do you have any pics of this beach by chance?

I go to Progreso/Merida several times a year for land trips and when ever the ship happens to be going that way. Planning on moving to Merida in a couple of years (2nd retirement). It is my current Paradise until something better comes along. Not real big on taking pictures but I will see what I can find. In the mean time this link has some good ones:http://www.zydecocruiser.com/fantasy_c_07/progreso/p.htm

I have found all of your information to be very helpful, too! :) I have another question about the buses, I hope you don't mind. We are scheduled to go to Uxmal with Autoprogresso. We will arrive back in Progresso after this tour at around 2:30. Our ship leaves at 4:00. We have teenagers who would love to ride on the double decker buses, but I am not sure if we will have time. How long does the ride last? Would we have time, before time to be back on the ship? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I have read a lot on here about the double decker bus, is it right there at the end of the pier or do you have to go somewhere and sign up for it??? It's not with the cruise, right? sounds like fun

Here is a map I made that might help.

bprogreso.jpg

Archived