What do you while waiting for a late flight home?

shoppgirl

Hi! We are sailing in July out of Miami! We just purchased our air tickets last night and the times are not the best. We don't fly out until 8:00 pm at FLL and I am just wondering what do people do who have a late flight out? Where do you put your luggage? Do you stay in Miami and find a place to store luggage? Do you try to head up to Ft Lauderdale right after disembarkation and spend the day there? Is it possible to pay a hotel for a day use? I have always had noon flights home right after a cruise, but now I'm unsure as to the best thing to do with a later flight? We are travelling as a group of 8, including 3 seniors, and 2 young children.

You have a tough situation because of the number of you. My first thought would be rent a car where you would be able to store your luggage as you tour and then you have your ride to FTL too. But one van wouldn't hold all of you.

As far as day hotels, you have to call the hotels directly. It all depends on when you need it and if they have a vacant room. You have a tough choice here. Maybe find a nice hotel with lower costs in FtL for the group...paying full price. :confused:

The cruiselines do have excursions for the day you disembark - they take care of your luggage and drop you off at the airport (FLL or MIA) after the excursion. Not sure if you can find one that interests your whole group and of course, it would be an added expenses but you need to get to the airport somehow anyway.

I believe you would be able to use the BAGS program. They take your luggage straight to the airport and put it on the plane for you.

We used it last year and spent the day at a Children's museum in Ft lauderdale. we plan to use it again this year as our flight leaves Ft laud @ 5PM.

Probably spend the day at Miami Aquarium or Parrot Jungle.

Our group of 8 was considering a post-cruise Everglades excursion to help kill some time and stash our baggage before our flights. But, even that would leave us with more than 4 hours at FLL airport (7:00 flights).

We too got much better air fare prices by taking later flights, so spending more money in Ft Lauderdale is not a problem for us. However, $59 each for 8 people to take the Everglades and Gardens tour seemed a bit much.

We also considered the Easycheck option for our bags - 8 checked bags at $20 each was doable, but...

It looks like eandj is on the same page as we are. Perhaps us half-frozen, snow-covered Wisconsinites think the same?

We're trying this - the front desk at Hyatt Place North has offered to give us the "day room rate" for 2 rooms. I called their direct number and asked them, rather than going through their national 800 reservations number. They state that it will be half the standard rate at check-in, but we would have to wait for the rooms to become available and would not get a choice of the type of room. Even at half the rate, the rooms are a bit pricey. But we're also eliminating our transportation costs with their free shuttle to/from both the port and airport. Perhaps this would not be quite as good for the OP, who has to get their group form Miami to Ft Lauderdale - but they'd have to pay for a shuttle service anyway.

Since we've used this hotel twice in the past, and are staying with them pre-cruise, I'm comfortable with the arrangements. We'll use their shuttle from the port and drop our bags at the hotel. If the rooms aren't available when we arrive, they've been very good about calling us on our cell phones when they are. Meanwhile, we can take the trolley to the oceanfront or Las Olas Blvd. for lunch. Maybe even take a tour on the Carrie B or Jungle Queen.

We'll also use their business center to check in and print our boarding passes before we take their shuttle to the airport. It all looked good on paper, so I booked the 2 rooms and we'll see how things work out - and I'll post the results when we return later this month. Wish us luck!

Dave

?

We're trying this - the front desk at Hyatt Place North has offered to give us the "day room rate" for 2 rooms. I called their direct number and asked them, rather than going through their national 800 reservations number. They state that it will be half the standard rate at check-in, but we would have to wait for the rooms to become available and would not get a choice of the type of room. Even at half the rate, the rooms are a bit pricey. But we're also eliminating our transportation costs with their free shuttle to/from both the port and airport. Perhaps this would not be quite as good for the OP, who has to get their group form Miami to Ft Lauderdale - but they'd have to pay for a shuttle service anyway.

We'll also use their business center to check in and print our boarding passes before we take their shuttle to the airport. It all looked good on paper, so I booked the 2 rooms and we'll see how things work out - and I'll post the results when we return later this month. Wish us luck!

Dave

Thanks everyone, and thanks Dave for your suggestions. I am thinking about calling some ideally situated hotels along the beach or shopping area and asking about day rates. Even at half the price, I am sure it will be worth it, as we saved hundreds on a later flight. With my young girls they will be happy spending the day on the beach or hotel pool and the older members of the group can do a walking tour of the surrounding area. Why do you need to request 2 rooms? I thought we would just need the one as we're just using it to store luggage and perhaps a quick shower before heading to the airport depending on the day's activities.

I figure a cab ride (will need 2 or 3 cabs) to the hotel will suffice, and then I'll arrange shuttle service to FLL later in the afternoon. It will be cheaper than renting a full sized 12 passenger van. Unfortunately we cannot participate in Baggage Valet because we are in Canada.

I look forward to how your trip went and will look for your post about the day rooms! Thanks!

We had the same problem recently. We used Starwood points to book a room at the Sheraton at FLL airport. The day was not really that nice-showers on and off. We hung around by the pool for a while when it was sunny. Had a great lunch. Relaxed in the room and took the shuttle to the airport. It worked out better than renting a car.

• 4 months later...
I believe you would be able to use the BAGS program. They take your luggage straight to the airport and put it on the plane for you.

We used it last year and spent the day at a Children's museum in Ft lauderdale. we plan to use it again this year as our flight leaves Ft laud @ 5PM.

Probably spend the day at Miami Aquarium or Parrot Jungle.

Did you use the BAGS program? I have a late flight out of FLL in 2 weeks and that sounds great. I would rather do that then get a room for the day. Can you give me some more information.

This is from NCL

Cruise Line BAGS Program

Luggage Checking & Airline Boarding

Haul luggage or sleep in? Decisions, decisions...

Vacation all the way to your home airport with our BAGS program.

Don't let hauling luggage make your last day in port a total drag. Take it easy while our BAGS program checks your luggage to your final destination. Wave as you sail past long airport lines - you're checked in for your flight, too.

We deliver your boarding pass to your stateroom the last night of your cruise. Just put our luggage tag on your bag before bed, place it in the hallway, and that's it. And for $19.95 per person, isn't it worth avoiding the hassle? We know it's hard to say good bye on debarkation day, so spend it having fun.

Participating Airlines

* Air Tran Airways

* Alaska Airways

* American Airlines

* Delta Airlines

* United Airlines

* Jet Blue Airways

* Northwest Airlines

* Continental Airlines

* US Airways

Passenger Eligibility

* Must be traveling on a flight within the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

* Flights must depart the same day as debarkation.

* Valid Photo ID is required (Passport or Driver's License).

Please note: This service is provided by the participating air carrier. Occasionally, difficulties in processing a guest's airline records may prevent us from printing boarding passes and luggage tags on board. Should this happen, it may be necessary for guests to check in at the airport. Depending on the port of debarkation, guests may be required to clear their luggage with U.S. Customs before BAGS can check them in with the airline. Participating air lines differ by port. Please visit the ship's front desk for more information.

Additionally, NCL will start collecting any applicable checked bags fees on behalf of the air carrier. These fees will be conveniently assessed to the guest's onboard account. Airline checked baggage fees may be waived depending upon the guest's status with the air carrier. These fees are subject to change w/o prior notice.

By participating in this program, you agree to pay the applicable service per person fee that will be charged to your onboard account. The BAGS enrollment fee is $19.95 which is effective June 14, 2008. You further agree and stipulate that the aggregate value of all the baggage noted herein does not exceed U.S. $100.00 and any liability of NCL for any cause whatsoever with respect to said baggage shall not exceed such sum and shall be subject to the applicable limitations set forth in the Guest Ticket Contract. This service fee includes up to two (2) pieces of checked luggage per person. You understand that NCL cannot act on behalf of the airline, therefore special arrangements such as seating assignments, meals, and other assistance must be directed to the airline.

Archived