Questions about River Wallace and ruins tour

Kristi Williamson

We're taking this excursion in a few weeks and I have a few questions for those of you that have been on it:

Do you still tender to the island, or do they take you straight from the ship?

How many people were in your group?

And is this appropriate for a 72 year old? My mom is going with us and I don't want to do anything that would just wipe her out.

Thanks in advance! :)

If it's the Carnival excursion there were 39 people including 2 tour guides on our bus. You do tender to and from Belize which is not an island. The only real walking is at the ruins themselves but your mom can pace herself there and not climb the one temple. It's also a pretty good step in and out of the boat for the river part but the crew seemed very helpful to those who needed it.

How hot is it in Belize now? That is the one thing I would worry about for your mom. We went in October and we were beat! DH & I are in our 40s, but the heat and humidity was brutal. Just make sure to bring a few bottles of water - they gave us a tiny one on the bus, but it was gone quick.

Also, the boat has no shade, so I would bring a hat and plenty of sunscreen - the boat ride is approx 2 hours so keep that in mind. We encountered mosquitos at the ruins so would bring bug spray also.

It depends on the route of your excursion. Some groups do the river tour first and then the ruins. Others do the ruins first and then board the boat. We did the boat tour in the afternoon, so would think it would have been a bit cooler in the morning, maybe? :)

We just did the RCL version of this tour with my 74 year old mother. The ruins were on level ground and she did not climb up the pyramid. (Very steep, treacherous stairs.) It was not at all hot - one of the coolest days they had in the past 20 years - so we did not have a big issue with mosquitos. The river boat portion was very windy and was not covered. I can't imagine what it would have been like with a hot sun beating down on us. My mother was exhausted at the end of the day. She said it was from the wind on the boat but I can't say for sure. We did not see nearly as much wildlife as we expected (i.e. no monkeys). It can be ok for a woman this age but I would also look at a tour to the zoo or one of the animal preserves if I had it to do again.

Archived