Any Carnival loyalist, like NCL too?

Lovetwocruz2009

Hubby and I love Carnival. But we have never cruised NCL. We were thinking about giving them a try. I am interested in the specialty dining venues. Hubby is interested in the freestyle concept.

Anyone sail NCL that was not in a suite? I checked the NCL board and lots of people talk about the suite perks. But I didn't see too many responses for those of us who purchase the balcony cabins.

We are thinking about the EPIC for July 10 or another newer NCL ship cruising the carribean in December 2010.

Any Carnival loyalist like NCL too? Any information is greatly appreciated.

So far I have been loyal to Carnival, however I would be happy to cruise on another lines ships if they would offer affordable cruiseing out of Mobile or NOLA. Kind of hard for another line to beat the deals that Carnival has for my two local ports. In my opinion Carnival offers the best bang for the buck.

Hubby and I love Carnival. But we have never cruised NCL. We were thinking about giving them a try. I am interested in the specialty dining venues. Hubby is interested in the freestyle concept.

Anyone sail NCL that was not in a suite? I checked the NCL board and lots of people talk about the suite perks. But I didn't see too many responses for those of us who purchase the balcony cabins.

We are thinking about the EPIC for July 10 or another newer NCL ship cruising the carribean in December 2010.

I've cruise the NCL Jewel twice and the NCL Gem once. Minisuite on the Jewel first time, Standard balconies on the other two cruises.

What information are you looking for? The cruise experience is very similar between both lines. Biggest differences:

Carnival standard balcony roughly close in size to NCL Mini-suite. NCL standard balcony noticeabley smaller than Carnival standard balcony, but large enough for two people comfortably.

NCL bathrooms are nicer (opinion). Sliding glass doors instead of shower curtain - floor never gets wet.

NCL freestyle dining is equal to Carnival "Anytime dining." NCL has many specialty restaurants at surcharge. Lots of good food choices on NCL. Many people here say Carnival food better than NCL. I have no complaints about any food from either line.

NCL buffet is better laid out than Carnival. Lots of free standing stations, as opposed to long lines. On NCL, if you want a hot entree, you go to a hot entree station. Ditto to salad or deli. On Carnival, if you want a hot entree, you get on the line and wait behind the people who are getting salad, than deli, until you reach the hot entrees.

I choose NCL vs. Carnival based on itinerary and price.

We've done 5 CCL cruises and just did a NCL crusie on Pearl in October. We sailed a minisuite, which is really just like a deluxe balcony (and about the same as a Carnival balcony) with no suite perks. My overall impression was very good. Quality-wise, the trip was on par with Carnival. We did specialty dining on 3 evenings at Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, and the Chinese restaurant, and all were very good. We found the main dining room and buffet food and service to be on par with Carnival.

Our only complaint regarded the kids program, and it wasn't a big one. It was good, but Camp Carnival is better. Camp carnival has more structured activities, whereas the NCL kids' club was more just free time in the room with a counselor.

Otherwise overall as I noted we were quite happy with the cruise. We really liked the Freestyle concept, and if we were sailing without our daughter that would put NCL over the top for us. It was nice to dine when we wanted.

So far I have been loyal to Carnival, however I would be happy to cruise on another lines ships if they would offer affordable cruiseing out of Mobile or NOLA. Kind of hard for another line to beat the deals that Carnival has for my two local ports. In my opinion Carnival offers the best bang for the buck.

NCL sails outta NOLA.. lots here love that line.. are the prices that much more OVER THE TOP???

I've cruise the NCL Jewel twice and the NCL Gem once. Minisuite on the Jewel first time, Standard balconies on the other two cruises.

What information are you looking for? The cruise experience is very similar between both lines. Biggest differences:

Carnival standard balcony roughly close in size to NCL Mini-suite. NCL standard balcony noticeabley smaller than Carnival standard balcony, but large enough for two people comfortably.

NCL bathrooms are nicer (opinion). Sliding glass doors instead of shower curtain - floor never gets wet.

NCL freestyle dining is equal to Carnival "Anytime dining." NCL has many specialty restaurants at surcharge. Lots of good food choices on NCL. Many people here say Carnival food better than NCL. I have no complaints about any food from either line.

NCL buffet is better laid out than Carnival. Lots of free standing stations, as opposed to long lines. On NCL, if you want a hot entree, you go to a hot entree station. Ditto to salad or deli. On Carnival, if you want a hot entree, you get on the line and wait behind the people who are getting salad, than deli, until you reach the hot entrees.

I agree with you almost 100%.. We sailed the Spirit and the Dawn.. Didnt love the Spirit, but the Dawn is one of my favorite ships.. just beautiful

NCL has the Quest which is the best activity on a cruise I have ever seen!!LOL

I think the food is not so great on NCL and Carnival blows it away.. but thats a matter of opinion but seems to be a popular one shared by many.

If you book NCL there are quite a few choices on where to dine that may or may not cost extra.. on the Dawn there were quite a few choices that was included.. but you need to make reservations or you wont get in the specialty eats..

I too think NCL has a great bathroom set up.. may seem smaller but the layout is clever..

We tried the NCL Pearl in oct. '07 and had horrilble service at all restaurant venues...We were on for a B2B and ate 75% of our meals in the buffet and it was not as good as Carnival..We ate one night in the specialty Italian venue and waiting 20 minutes for our starters and then waited 40 minutes for our main course and the place was not even half full....I liked the ship and the activities but will not sail NCL again.......Dennis

I'll let you know next January! lol We switched to NCL for our next cruise for the reasons you list. Also, the price was better than Carnival, cruising for 9 days vs. 7, and also out of Miami vs. San Juan, which equals cheaper airfare. I couldn't pass that up! :)

NCL sails outta NOLA.. lots here love that line.. are the prices that much more OVER THE TOP???

You really have to compare a specific cruise to see who has the best price. Slow sales on a cruise mean price cuts. Right now, just on an informal basis from looking at the internet TA's, it seems that NCL is generally higher priced than Carnival, but they will cut prices, dramatically if necessary, to make sure a ship sails full.

I did a 12 day cruise on NCL two years ago in a balcony for $1049. I was solo and there was no single cruiser surcharge. A few weeks before the ship cruised, they dropped the price to $799. They still left with something like 300 empty cabins.

Costs a lot of money to build an EPIC I guess.

We ate one night in the specialty Italian venue and waiting 20 minutes for our starters and then waited 40 minutes for our main course and the place was not even half full....I liked the ship and the activities but will not sail NCL again.......Dennis

Funny - I would consider that a plus, having a lot of time to sit and talk and leisurely enjoy my meal. Just goes to prove - different strokes for different folks.

We will be sailing on the Carnival Dream this year. We hope the experience will be as great as with NCL.

We had interior, oceanview, and AFT balcony with NCL.

I personally love the Sun the best, Jewel is much like it, we did not like the Dawn as much as far as ship layout.

We love freestyle dining and love the choice of restaurants. It is worth paying the surcharge. We loved the steakhouse the best. Le Bistro is also wonderful. YOu can buy a romance package and it includes dinner at Le Bistro and a bottle of wine, a portrait, chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of bubbly in the room. It is a great deal for $79.

Anyway, hope we love Carnival just as much!

I did a quick search on carnivals balcony cabin sizes and found there balcony cabin sizes start at 185 sq feet. NCL's balcony cabins start at 205 sq feet. NCL's mini suite's start at 285 sq feet That means NCL's mini suite is a Third larger than carnival's balcony. That is a huge difference.

I also am going with NCL because of itinerary and price (eg mini suite in europe 12 nights seeing Rome, Athens, Turkey, Egypt and Malta for $3000. Price and itinerary cant be beaten.

We've done 5 CCL cruises and just did a NCL crusie on Pearl in October. We sailed a minisuite, which is really just like a deluxe balcony (and about the same as a Carnival balcony) with no suite perks. My overall impression was very good. Quality-wise, the trip was on par with Carnival. We did specialty dining on 3 evenings at Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, and the Chinese restaurant, and all were very good. We found the main dining room and buffet food and service to be on par with Carnival.

Our only complaint regarded the kids program, and it wasn't a big one. It was good, but Camp Carnival is better. Camp carnival has more structured activities, whereas the NCL kids' club was more just free time in the room with a counselor.

Otherwise overall as I noted we were quite happy with the cruise. We really liked the Freestyle concept, and if we were sailing without our daughter that would put NCL over the top for us. It was nice to dine when we wanted.

I did a quick search on carnivals balcony cabin sizes and found there balcony cabin sizes start at 185 sq feet. NCL's balcony cabins start at 205 sq feet. NCL's mini suite's start at 285 sq feet That means NCL's mini suite is a Third larger than carnival's balcony. That is a huge difference.

I also am going with NCL because of itinerary and price (eg mini suite in europe 12 nights seeing Rome, Athens, Turkey, Egypt and Malta for $3000. Price and itinerary cant be beaten.

You're not really comparing apples to apples. NCL lists total area in their mesaurement, Carnival lists interior and exterior separately:

Carnival cabin is 185 + 45 for balcony, for a total of 230 sq ft.

NCL standard is 205 total (interior & balcony). I'd guess you should subtract about 45 sq ft for the balcony (making it 160 square feet)

If the NCL mini suite is 285, then you're right, it's a good 35 sq feet larger than a Carnival standard balcony. A lot of that extra space is in the bathroom area. The toilet and the shower are in separate translucent-doored off compartments with a sink in the middle.

You're not really comparing apples to apples. NCL lists total area in their mesaurement, Carnival lists interior and exterior separately:

NCL standard is 205 total (interior & balcony). I'd guess you should subtract about 45 sq ft for the balcony (making it 160 square feet)

If the NCL mini suite is 285, then you're right, it's a good 35 sq feet larger than a Carnival standard balcony. A lot of that extra space is in the bathroom area. The toilet and the shower are in separate translucent-doored off compartments with a sink in the middle.

The difference in size on a standard OV/ balcony, for interior space was not noticable to us. . .but the balcony size was.. they were small!!

Being a former Carnival loyalist I embrace the fact there are so many other cruiselines we can explore Ive been on 5 other cruise lines but havnt done NCL yet

We probaly will since they give a good Military discount and they have some rates cheaper than Carnival

The only thing that concerns me is the for fee dining Usually we will do the steak house or supper club 1-2 a cruise(depends on length)

Im afraid that I would want to try them all and have a big bill at the end of the cruise Im going to have to budget for that

Thats going to cut into my Bartab:D

We have been on 22 cruises and of those, 9 were Carnival and 4 were NCL ( 1 minisuite, 2 balconies and 1 inside ), 6 were Princess and one on 3 different other cruiselines. Up to this year, we didn't have a favorite but this year had 3 fantastic Carnival ones so maybe Carnival has leapt ahead.

You will not go wrong by trying NCL....that's the only way to know if you'll like it. We like trying different lines and even if you go on the same ship, your experience could be different each time. Each cruise has a different mix of crew and a different mix of passengers and I think that is the biggest factor of any cruise. Oh, and a positive attitude.

I have always said that the cruiselines are more alike than they are different.

Enjoy your next cruise, no matter which ship or line you choose.....as long as you are cruising!:D

We tried them once.

It was painful.

They were trying to be like Carnival, but REALLY BAD.

We couldn't wait to get off the ship, and promised NEVER to sail them again.

Being a former Carnival loyalist I embrace the fact there are so many other cruiselines we can explore Ive been on 5 other cruise lines but havnt done NCL yet

We probaly will since they give a good Military discount and they have some rates cheaper than Carnival

The only thing that concerns me is the for fee dining Usually we will do the steak house or supper club 1-2 a cruise(depends on length)

Im afraid that I would want to try them all and have a big bill at the end of the cruise Im going to have to budget for that

Thats going to cut into my Bartab:D

On some of the ships, they offer 2 for 1 on port days so some specialty restaurants can be only $5pp or $10pp to try.

It is apples to apples when the only difference is 15 sq feet

NCL balcony 167 + 38 balcony = 205

Carnival balcony 185 + 35 balcony = 220

Thats 15 sq feet difference which is Nothing. You quoted as saying it was a big difference.

NCL mini suite is 231 + 54 = 285 which means it has 65 sq feet difference

These are the official sizes of cabins comparing the Jade and the Carnival Freedom ships. Site below to help compare :)

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/home1.php

We would sail NCL again in a heartbeat, and are actually looking at an NCL cruise for next year. Most of our cruises lately have been on Carnival shi0ps, but it's because of price and itinerary choices at the times we were looking to sail; we've come really close with NCL a couple of times.

NCLs shows are a little less 'revealing' as far as costumes are concerned. As noted before, buffets are laid out better. We really liked having the choice of when and where to dine and never experienced more than a 15 minute wait (family of 5). We also found that the serving staff were all excellent, although we did have favorites and could ask to be seated in their section. They went out of their way to make our children feel welcomed and at home, the same way the Carnival staff do. What we found even more incredible was that even though we didn't have the same staff each night, they remembered our names, and the kids names, when we came back a few nights later (must be like the Ritz ... they must give them a heads-up after they seat you on who is at the table ... like the Ritz does with their little radios when you're coming down the hall)

Kids program is slightly better on Carnival, I think, but the kids love both lines too and don't have a preference. My oldest is actually begging to do Epic right now because she loves the entertainment options on board (Cirque du Soliel, Blue Man Group, and Second City).

Cabin size isn't really important to us because we don't spend that much time in the cabins, but we've stayed 5 in a room on NCL and been just fine, space-wise. They seem to have better storage space than Carnival, although I don't think there were amenity baskets in the bathrooms.

I think you'd be happy on either line. Just keep in mind that NCLs standard daily gratuities are a little bit higher, some restaurants have surcharges, and photo costs are a little higher ($30 per 8x10 vs $22 on Carnival). But, we did get photos on our NCL shore excursions (ships photogs were along with us on the excursion) and haven't had that option on Carnival ... it was really nice to have pics of all of us on those excursions and they also have packages available for multiple picture purchases, which is an option I wish Carnival had).

Enjoy your cruise, whichever one you choose, and don't sweat the small stuff ... your cruise is what you make it!

Yes. We really enjoy Carnival but had a great time on NCL too. Many similarities and subtle differences that usually are personal preferences or opinions. We've found both to be great. Here are a few things we noticed many of which are just opinions...

*3rd/4th person on NCL for our cruise was much cheaper than Carnival. Could have just been time of year, ship or whatever.

*Balcony rooms about the same size. Layout may make one feel bigger as Carnival has the couch first with bed near balcony where NCL was the opposite. One layout better for getting dressed, etc. other way better when enjoying the balcony.

*Like the sliding balcony doors on NCL vs. swing open doors on Carnival

*Sports deck on NCL included full size basketball court vs. 1/2 court on Carnival

*Thought Carnival deck food (burgers, etc) better on Carnival. Dinning room about the same just depends on what one orders.

*Really enjoyed Quest game on NCL too as previously mentioned but also had the Quest game on our last Carnival cruise.

*Anytime dining worked for us on NCL as we had large group and esentially had a reservation every night for the same time. Never had to wait but never had same waiter either. We do prefer Carnival with set times and waiters but thats just our preference.

We could go on but overall I think the two are more similar than different and with the right expectations one could enjoy either line equally.

I have sailed both and enjoy both, but I think for me the edge goes to NCL. On NCL I have stayed in an outside, a balcony, a minisuite and once got a fabulous upsell to the Courtyard (I never thought I would get my head back to normal after that treatment :o). I enjoyed them all. I find that NCL offers more interesting itineraries. I will be doing my second repo with them in April and those repo cruises are an amazing value!

I absolutely love NCL Jewel's buffet area, especially the crepe station! I also enjoy the dining choices and my experience with Freestyle has been very positive. The ships are lively and have vibrant decors without that Farcus frenzy. The Casino at Sea program is fabulous. I could go on and on about all the things I love about NCL including that welcome aboard glass of bubbly that sets the tone!

Carnival seems more consistent ship to ship which is probably good for most people, but to me is just a little bit boring. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Carnival but NCL excites me just a little bit more :p

It is apples to apples when the only difference is 15 sq feet

NCL balcony 167 + 38 balcony = 205

Carnival balcony 185 + 35 balcony = 220

Thats 15 sq feet difference which is Nothing. You quoted as saying it was a big difference.

NCL mini suite is 231 + 54 = 285 which means it has 65 sq feet difference

These are the official sizes of cabins comparing the Jade and the Carnival Freedom ships. Site below to help compare :)

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/home1.php

No harm intended.

Excuse me if I mislead anyone by saying there's a big difference. I didn't judge the size of the rooms from the web site, I formed my opinion based on my time staying in them.

To the OP: My opinion was that the NCL minisuite I spent a week in seemed pretty much the same as the Carnival balcony suite. The NCL standard cabin certainly seemed a bit smaller.

As you can see from other posts, some people who have stayed in these same 3 types of cabins may have different opinions.

Archived