Shark Ray Alley, Ambergris Caye

CaribKng

Has anyone done this independantly? If so, do you need to hire a tour guide on your own or are there some there at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve? If you have hired your own, who did you use? Any info that could be provided would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone done this independantly? If so, do you need to hire a tour guide on your own or are there some there at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve? If you have hired your own, who did you use? Any info that could be provided would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We're doing it on Thursday. Look for my review after we get back. We're using ecotoursbelize dot com.

Shark Ray Ailey and The Hole Chan reserve are 45 Minutes by boat away from Belize city. You will need to book a tour to visit.

I am not sure of the best to use, but do look into the ship ships tour.

We were thinking of flying over on one of the small planes at the municipal airport. We originally were thinking of doing a fly and dive excursion, but were looking for something now, that may allow us more time to tour San Pedro and the rest of the island. We were intrigued with Shark Ray Alley, because we really wanted to do Stingray City in Grand Cayman, but will not have the time with the diving that we have planned. We were looking to see if there was a possibility of getting a guide to do this so we would have some flexibility in touring. Any other info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

We were thinking of flying over on one of the small planes at the municipal airport. We originally were thinking of doing a fly and dive excursion, but were looking for something now, that may allow us more time to tour San Pedro and the rest of the island. We were intrigued with Shark Ray Alley, because we really wanted to do Stingray City in Grand Cayman, but will not have the time with the diving that we have planned. We were looking to see if there was a possibility of getting a guide to do this so we would have some flexibility in touring. Any other info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Just FYI, Shark Ray Alley in Belize is not even remotely as good as Stingray City in Grand Cayman (String Ray City is shallower, has more and friendlier stingrays, and clearer water). However, Hol Chan is a fantastic place for snorkeling or diving and much nicer than any of the shallow snorkeling you will find in Grand Cayman. If you had to choose between snorkeling at Hol Chan or snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley, Hol Chan wins hands down in my opinion.

Just FYI, Shark Ray Alley in Belize is not even remotely as good as Stingray City in Grand Cayman (String Ray City is shallower, has more and friendlier stingrays, and clearer water). However, Hol Chan is a fantastic place for snorkeling or diving and much nicer than any of the shallow snorkeling you will find in Grand Cayman. If you had to choose between snorkeling at Hol Chan or snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley, Hol Chan wins hands down in my opinion.

We didn't think it would be as good as Stingray City, but thought we could get somewhat of the same experience. We were unable to fit Stingray City in since we were doing two dives and didn't want to miss out completely on the experience of swimming with them. Thank you for your info, as we learn something from everyone's experience.

Did you see nurse sharks in Shark Ray Alley?

Did you see nurse sharks in Shark Ray Alley?

Yes, but it was a few years back. The sharks there disappeared a few minutes after we got in. My guide said that the sharks are usually only seen by the first group of the day and then they disappear. I don't know about the current situation. There were a lot of nurse sharks on the reefs I was diving, so the nurse sharks at this site didn't matter to me very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived