Kudos to Celebrity/Azamara from a wheelchair user

dgraham

I just wrote a “rant” in the Disabled Cruise Travel section of the message boards regarding Oceania’s placement of accessible staterooms halfway between the elevators, but thought I would copy here the section praising Celebrity/Azamara. They deserve credit for their thoughtfullness in their conversion of the Renaissance R-7 ships.

“As a wheelchair user (paraplegic) I wish to thank Celebrity for what they did in converting the R-7 ships for their Azamara brand. The original R-7 ships were purchased by Celebrity, Oceania and Princess from the bankrupt Renaissance line. These Renaissance ships only had TWO accessible cabins, and these were inside cabins. When Oceania converted their three ships, they did not add any accessible cabins, but Celebrity (Azamara) did. They added two outside and two balcony cabins in the conversion process. This would have caused them to lose two revenue producing cabins, as the rule of thumb has been that two accessible cabins take the space of three normal cabins. So Celebrity offered more options to wheelchair users, by literally giving up two cabins that could have brought them more revenue. Kudos to them.”

Archived