Dolphin Swim Adventure: booking through Dolphin Discovery or the cruise line?

Soprani

My family is cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in June. We want to do the Dolphin Swim Adventure at Chakanaab Park. However, I am wondering if we should book through Dolphin Discovery or the cruise line.

Royal Caribbean offers the Dolphin Push, Pull & Swim - CZ14 at the Dolphin Discovery’s location. This seems to be the same thing as the Dolphin Swim Adventure. The price is $99 per person (adult or child) and includes transportation.

Dolphin Discovery offers the Dolphin Swim Adventure at $103.40 per adult and $101.75 per child when booked directly through them. The transportation is usually not included but, right now, they have a promotion for free transportation on the purchase of 3 paid programs.

However, with Dolphin Discovery, if the ship does not make it to port, you will only get a 90% refund or a certificate valid for one year at any of their locations. Furthermore, if you cancel at least 5 days prior to the swim, you will only receive a 90% refund, and within 4 days there is no refund.

Here are my questions:

- Should we book through Dolphin Discovery or the cruise line?

- Why is it cheaper to book with the cruise line?

- Are these two dolphin swims identical? If no, what are the differences?

- Are there any benefits of booking directly with Dolphin Discovery?

Thanks!

Thought I would bump this for you.

One factor may be the number of people in a group if you book through the crusieline. I've been reading up on this and there were a few comments about how if you booked through the crusieline you had a larger group which meant less individual time with the dolphins.

I had no idea that if you booked directly with Dolphin Discovery and you had to cancel, that you got any money back. I thought it was just a voucher for use within one year. That was the main reason I was thinking of booking through the ship. But now I think I will book direct if you can get a 90% refund as it makes it less risky of losing so much money.

Anyone else have any info to share?

We are on the Crown Princess in a few weeks, stopping in Cozumel. I initially booked the "Royal Swim" thru Princess and it was nearly $500 for 2 adults and 1 child. I cancelled and booked directly thru Dolphin Discovery and the total is $249.15 - massive savings! Besides that you also have entry to Chaankanaab park.

As far as refunds...our receipt does state that no refunds apply to cancellations made w/i 4 days prior. Anything outside of that is subject to only a 10% fee.

Hope this helps!:rolleyes:

Dolphin Discovery’s cancellation policies can be found on their website, under FAQs - Cancellations. Last month, I also contacted Dolphin Discovery by email and they confirmed their cancellation policies to me.

In the case of the "Dolphin Swim Adventure", there is no savings in booking with Dolphin Discovery. It is why I want to know what the benefits are to book with them rather than with the cruise line.

For your information, both Dolphin Discovery and Royal Caribbean include the entry to Chankanaab Park with their dolphin swims.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

My family is cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in June. We want to do the Dolphin Swim Adventure at Chakanaab Park. However, I am wondering if we should book through Dolphin Discovery or the cruise line.

Royal Caribbean offers the Dolphin Push, Pull & Swim - CZ14 at the Dolphin Discovery’s location. This seems to be the same thing as the Dolphin Swim Adventure. The price is $99 per person (adult or child) and includes transportation.

Dolphin Discovery offers the Dolphin Swim Adventure at $103.40 per adult and $101.75 per child when booked directly through them. The transportation is usually not included but, right now, they have a promotion for free transportation on the purchase of 3 paid programs.

However, with Dolphin Discovery, if the ship does not make it to port, you will only get a 90% refund or a certificate valid for one year at any of their locations. Furthermore, if you cancel at least 5 days prior to the swim, you will only receive a 90% refund, and within 4 days there is no refund.

Here are my questions:

- Should we book through Dolphin Discovery or the cruise line?

- Why is it cheaper to book with the cruise line?

- Are these two dolphin swims identical? If no, what are the differences?

- Are there any benefits of booking directly with Dolphin Discovery?

Thanks!

We did this last year. The package at the park was different. The one through the ship included a pull the parks had a push and pull. If you would like to be pushed out of the water by your feet for a 10 -20 yard distance go with the parks. Not sure about other differences but we wished we would of done the parks rather than the ships

We did this last year. The package at the park was different. The one through the ship included a pull the parks had a push and pull. If you would like to be pushed out of the water by your feet for a 10 -20 yard distance go with the parks. Not sure about other differences but we wished we would of done the parks rather than the ships

I think you are referring to the “Dolphin Royal Swim” which includes:

- Foot push: 2 dolphins push your feet to raise you up the water surface.

- Dorsal tow: You hold the dorsal fin of 2 dolphins as they give you a ride.

What we want to do is the “Dolphin Swim Adventure”. This one includes:

- Belly ride: You hold both pectoral flippers of one dolphin as it gives you a ride on its belly.

- Boogie board push: A dolphin pushes you as you ride a boogie board.

As well, Royal Caribbean’s “Dolphin Push, Pull & Swim” includes the belly ride and the boogie board push.

So, would anyone know the differences between these two:

- Dolphin Discovery's Dolphin Swim Adventure

- Royal Caribbean's Dolphin Push, Pull & Swim

Thanks!

Would anyone have answers to my first post's questions? I am looking forward to booking this dolphin swim but want to make the right decision!

Another question: Can I take pictures with my waterproof camera during the dolphin swim?

Thanks for your help!

We did this 2 years ago and booked it directly through the company. They were very nice, easy to work with. I checked out their website which gave alot of info about the packages they offered and what was included in each. We did the one (can't remember the name) that had the most interaction. We swam with them, we rode their fin and we did the push. It was amazing. It was the most expensive one but it was our "big excursion" It was us, our 2 kids, my parents, and inlaws. Everyone had an amazing time. We took a shuttle from the terminal that was included in our price. I would definitely recommend it and I would talk to them directly.

• 3 weeks later...
Would anyone have answers to my first post's questions? I am looking forward to booking this dolphin swim but want to make the right decision!

Another question: Can I take pictures with my waterproof camera during the dolphin swim?

Thanks for your help!

I've been trying to figure out what to do here too. I spent a lot of time with their online chat support. The push, pull, swim IS the same as the adventure--you are correct. If you book through the ship I am positive that you will have the maximum number of participants with you (12 total). If you book directly through the park then you might have the max. participants. If I were you, I think I would book through the ship (because of the cancellation policy).

I'm trying to decide if I want to do the push, pull, swim through RCI or if we should do the Royal Swim through the park. There are two dolphins, a maximum of 10 participants, and the different interaction than the RCI excursion.

I'm not positive about taking pictures. On their website it seems like you can't take pictures. But reading reviews from other people, they said they could. But basically..I forgot to ask. :o sorry!

Thanks for your help!

so i thought i answered this...but i guess it never showed up. aaanyway.

I spent a lot of time chatting with the Dolphin Discovery so I know the answers to some of your questions... The dolphin swims are exactly the same, just like you thought. If I were you, I would go with the ship sponsored excursion--it is cheaper, includes transportation, and has a better cancellation policy. They have a maximum of 12 participants no matter if it is booked directly through them or the cruise ship. Booked through the ship you will definitely have 12, booked through the park you might have 12.

I'm trying to decide between doing the push, pull, swim through the ship or the royal swim through the park. The royal swim has the dorsal swim & foot push, has two dolphins, and has a maximum of 10 participants.

For some reason, I forgot to ask them about taking pictures! I have read reviews where people said they were able to take pictures.

I am thinking of also booking directly through Dolphin Discovery. We are sailing on the Crown Princess in March and there price is about $40./pp more than through the company. My question is: there is free transportation included from the pier. Is this a shuttle bus that leaves at various times througout the day or only once? If I schedule at 11am....is this what time our swim is at or time at which we get on the shuttle to hte park?

Archived