Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

OUTSTANDING POST. The best yet. Grumpy, you're getting better and better at this. Could there be a new career in the works?

Hope you enjoy the Seychelles. Our friends who were there last year tell us they are quite beautiful.

It soon will be announced that the Prinsemdam will now be known as G&S Prinsemdam.

With its world wide popularity (Grimpy's log) with thousands anxiously awaiting each passage, it is only fitting that the ship be renamed...G&S Prinsemdam.

God bless all that sail in her...especially after Grumpy & Slinky disembark!

Now Grumpy, since I will be embarking on 9 May will you please make sure some fun is left over!(& lots of champagne).

Also please do not pilfer any Stephen Card art...I'd like to see them!

Hello again Grumpy and Slinkie-

We are sad to be home, but glad to be back to read of your amazing voyage!:D You will be glad to know that Florida is still hot and humid.;)

Love reading of your explorations in bathrooms worldwide. Okay maybe I better rephase that......

Continued calm seas and blue skies to you both!:)

Now Grumpy, since I will be embarking on 9 May will you please make sure some fun is left over!(& lots of champagne).

Also please do not pilfer any Stephen Card art...I'd like to see them!

Hallo ROTTERDAM!

Pilferage of the art would be difficult. Anyone walking off with a package measuring roughly 50" x 72" x 6" would be immediately suspect!

Embarking May 9th? Is that in New York for the crossing to Barcelona? I have a good friend on the crossing, Tom Cassidy from Long Island.

I wonder if Grumpy and Slinky know who will be on board for the crosssing as Captain, Hotel Manager and Maitr'd? I'm hoping that Jan Willem Kuipers will be back on board. He and his GRM wife Phem are a great couple. I have not heard who will be next captain on board, perhaps Capt Gundersen will make the crossing although I suspect, like everyone else after the world cruise, he would like to have a bit of leave!

Stephen

Report from the G & S Prinsendam... (thanks to Rotterdam)

Well, Rotterdam, Ol' Grumpy was actually thinking that the ship should be renamed in honor of his favorite lady... MS Slinkiedam has a nice ring to it, don't you think?...

Grumpy doesn't have too much time to post this afternoon, but figures he'd better post something... he knows what happened the last time he skipped a day... Well, anyway, Blackbird77, thanks for the question about the laundry facilities... Grumpy had been meaning to mention that before and kept forgetting...

Now Slinkie and Grumpy do not have much first hand experience with the laundry facilities... Slinkie figured a vacation should not include cooking, housework or laundry... that left two choices: Grumpy could do the laundry or he could buy the unlimited laundry package... now you can guess how much consideration was given to that first option... so once a week or so the dirty clothes disappear and a day later baskets and hangers show up with nice clean clothes... But since you asked... the facilities on deck 10 are 3 washers and 3 dryers... doesn't seem like very much, but remember that S cabins on decks 11 and 12 have unlimited laundry service included, quite a few on deck 10 bought the package, so the major users would be deck 9 cabins... probably less than 100 cabins for the three washers... 15 cabins per day... 5 cabins per washer per day... not too bad... seems that most of the people on the lower decks don't know about the Deck 10 laundry... there's a lot of times there is no one there.

Now the laundry on deck 6 has 6 stacked washer/dryer combination units. That's twice as many units, but there are more than twice as many cabins on 5,6and7, so there are times that things get a little crowded... but not to worry, someone noticed that the four whirlpool hot tubs are very underused for there intended purpose, and with a little detergent added, they make dandy washing machines... the rules are that no more than two can be used for laundry at one time, and if you're sharing a tub, don't wash your colors when someone else is doing whites... it all works out pretty good, though.

Now the drying is a different story... running clotheslines across between the deck 12 rails was tried, but the water dripping on the deck chairs around the Lido pool got some people upset, so the only choice left is the flag halyards fore and aft... works pretty good, but can't be used on port days... Every now and then there's a freighter passes and you can see the bridge officer, binoculars in hand, a notepad and the International Signal Flag Manual... looking over, thumbing through the manual...let's see red polka dot... solid white... I swear that looks like a 54DD black lace bra... two XXXL Thongs, first one red, next one black... Just what the heck message are they trying to send... Oh, and don't hang the whites on the aft line... those soot problems, you know...

Well, Grumpy hopes that answers your laundry questions, Blackbird... he's always glad to provide up to date and accurate information for all of you.

Grumpy and Slinkie

Instead of a book, this should be a daily episode on the Traval Channel! Wouldn't that make a great show?! They could allow people to email or write in questions. Maybe have challenges that Grumpy and Slinkie have to complete to continue that unlimited laundry service.....We could vote on what they should buy in port.......Grumpy could give clues as to the next destination....... Travel Channel is missing a wonderful opportunity here! :D Have fun in Seychelles!

Dear G&S, you made my day. Many thanks.

You mentioned about cabin 196 previously. From the HAL brochure 2006, there seems to have an diagonal wide panel attached on cabin 191 & 193 balcony railings to block ithe ocean view completely. That panel was not on the 2005 brochure photo though. Can you find out next time you're at port whether it is the fact? (Louis)

Dear G&S, you made my day. Many thanks.

You mentioned about cabin 196 previously. From the HAL brochure 2006, there seems to have an diagonal wide panel attached on cabin 191 & 193 balcony railings to block ithe ocean view completely. That panel was not on the 2005 brochure photo though. Can you find out next time you're at port whether it is the fact? (Louis)

Hi Louis,

I can help you with this one.

When built, there were no cabins on the after end of Prom Deck. Instead there was a a large lounge called the Midnight Sun Lounge. Externally there was a large fashon plate running diagionally upward to the top of Verandah Deck. Back then it was just for styling and didn't block any views.

When the ship was reconfigured by HAL and cabins built where Midnight Sun Lounge used to be, the fashion plate was removed. So, in answer to your question... it doesn't exist any more so the views from cabins 191 & 193 are not blocked.

I've looked into those cabins. The location is a bit 'strange' in that they are off on their own,but I suspect that is a plus. They are nicely furnished and they do have one big advantage over all the other balcony cabins.... if you happen to be a sun worshiper. There is no deckhead over the balconies so it is possible to get more sun... unless it is on the other side! And they are also slightly larger and more 'square' than rectangle as are the balconies in the higher grades. Best of all they have access to the jaccuzzi on the open deck just a few feet away. I suspect these cabins are a well kept secret!;)

Stephen

Loved the info on the "BATHROOMS"!! Did they have the feet prints enbeded in the cement on either side of the "hole"?? Don't slip!!:eek:

Thanks again for the WONDERFUL REVIEWS!! Hate to see this cruise of yours end.

I'd still like to see what your cabin looks like with all the little bags from your purchases! Have you bought that "extra suitcase" yet?? :p

Stephen, thanks for the insight.... as I booked a big one (196) for our 14-days Rome to Amsterdam June 16 sailing.

Louis,

Wonderful! That pair of cabins... 196 and 197 are certainly unique. Huge windows looking out over the deck.... easy access to the outside deck and jaccuzzi, nice balcony..... etc etc. Of course there is a 65 foot walk to the nearest bar, but don't let that put you off. :rolleyes: With that in mind.... Java Bar... will certainly be handy for morning coffee etc. The lift right there to take you up to the Lido... what more could you ask for?

If you hang on in Amsterdam on your disembarkation day you will get to see my new painting. The decorators should be hanging it on that day.

Stephen

Hi Guys,

Have just read the following:

Seattle, March 31 (Reuters) - A California woman and her son have sued cruise operator Holland America Line for unspecified damages after getting sick on a cruise where they said toilets overflowed and crew members were seen with prostitutes at ports of call. Bernice Oltman, 81, and her son, Jack Oltman, whose age was not given, said they took a trip on Holland America Line's cruise ship Amsterdam from Valparaiso, Chile to San Diego, California, in March 2004, where they said they encountered unprofessional staff and unsanitary conditions. "Not long into the cruise, the toilets on lower decks overflowed several times," the Oltmans said in their lawsuit, filed in King County District Court in Washington state on Wednesday. The Oltmans, who paid $4,642.06 for the cruise, said it took crew members 15 hours to clean up the mess, which "created incredibly unsanitary conditions on board, separate and apart from a piercing stench." Seattle-based Holland America, a subsidiary of Carnival Corp. <CCL.N>, the world's largest cruise operator, declined to comment on the lawsuit. The Oltmans said they suffered from a gastrointestinal illness, and also saw crew members eating directly from buffet platters. "During the scheduled stop in Ecuador, Jack Oltman noticed some crew members openly associating with prostitutes," the lawsuit said. The Oltmans said they expected to be compensated by Holland America for pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of earnings, legal fees and medical expenses, including a colonoscopy and hemorrhoid surgery, the lawsuit said.

ENDS

I'm curious. What were these two passengers doing in a red light district?:eek:

And does how all this result in hemorrhoid surgery?

I hope the case gets thrown out!

Stephen

[quote name='PRINSENDAM']Hi Guys,

Have just read the following:

Stephen[/QUOTE]

Stephen you are a day late and a dollar short. You also missed the free drinks Healther was serving :p

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=158498&page=3[/url]

[quote name='blackbird71']Stephen you are a day late and a dollar short. You also missed the free drinks Healther was serving :p

[font=Book Antiqua]Damn!!!! Dam?[/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua]Missed the free drinks. I should have guessed that the news would have appeared somewhere else. I'd only just received it from Captain Bos![/font]
[font=Book Antiqua]It was amusing to read the thread though. [/font]
[font=Book Antiqua]Stephen[/font]

[quote name='PRINSENDAM']
[font=Book Antiqua]Damn!!!! Dam?[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua]Missed the free drinks. I should have guessed that the news would have appeared somewhere else. I'd only just received it from Captain Bos![/font]

[font=Book Antiqua]It was amusing to read the thread though. [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua]Stephen[/font][/QUOTE]

Nope, sorry:( ... I served all the drinks on the other thread and as I explained to blackbird, I don't do thread service:D . You just have to be in the right place at the right time!;)

Grumpy and Slinkie--we just booked this week on the Prinsendam from FLL to Barcelona 5/6--just found this thread, and have spent about 13 hours reading everything and pasting much of it into my Prinsendam Word document!! (not 13 hours straight!) I plan to print it and send it to my mom, who's on the cruise with me (no computer). She'll love reading what you have to say about the ship and the ports. My greatest sorrow is that you'll be getting off the ship as we get on--was hoping to buy you some drinks to thank you for all the great info, sense of humor, etc. I have learned so much about the ship, just can't wait.

I'll ask both you and Prinsendam (the poster, not the ship)--do you know anything about category BC cabins? We booked a BC guarantee. I don't even see it on the deck plans for the WC, but there are 2 BC cabins on the regular deck plans. Does BC just mean "balcony cabin" and they can put us anywhere they want to (with a balcony)? Our TA just assures that's the minimum we'll get. Having just booked, figured I'd wait a few days before contacting HAL about it.

Can't wait to read your next posts!

[quote name='TexEm']Grumpy and Slinkie--we just booked this week on the Prinsendam from FLL to Barcelona 5/6--

I'll ask both you and Prinsendam (the poster, not the ship)--do you know anything about category BC cabins? We booked a BC guarantee. I don't even see it on the deck plans for the WC, but there are 2 BC cabins on the regular deck plans. Does BC just mean "balcony cabin" and they can put us anywhere they want to (with a balcony)? Our TA just assures that's the minimum we'll get. Having just booked, figured I'd wait a few days before contacting HAL about it.

Can't wait to read your next posts![/QUOTE]

As far as I know there are only two cabins designated as BC... they are Nos 104 & 105, forward on Upper Promenade Deck. Basically it is a 'A' grade cabin. It has two beds and a sofa which can be converted into a bed... the two berths cannot be converted into a king size... like some of the other cabins.

BC doesn't mean 'Balcony Cabin'... it is simply just a grade of cabin.. between the AA's and the C's... as I said, there are only two.

These cabins are quite good as far as location goes. Just a few feet to walk forward and you are out on the deck overlooking the bow. Quite nice. Also, these cabins have balconies which are larger than the standard A grade cabins. Look on the plans, you can see it quite clearly.

Anyhow, if you have a guarantee, then the agent is correct, this will be the minimum grade of accommodation you will have.... you could quite easily be moved a bit further after and into the standard A grades. Whatever cabin you are allocated will be just fine I'm sure.

The important things is to enjoy the crossing... and the great ports. Horta! Ponta Delgada! Lisbon! Lots to do in all of them.

As I said in another post... a friend of mine, Tom Cassidy is on your sailing. Please say hello.

Stephen

[quote name='PRINSENDAM']
Pilferage of the art would be difficult. Anyone walking off with a package measuring roughly 50" x 72" x 6" would be immediately suspect!

Stephen[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Garamond][size=3][color=darkslategray]Hmmm - that sounds like a challenge![/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Garamond][size=3][color=darkslategray][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Garamond][size=3][color=darkslategray]Now to see about that custom-made briefcase...[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[img]http://www.pop-culture-corn.com/movies/stories/99/images/inline/thomascrown1.jpg[/img]
;)

"Oh where, oh where, has our Grumpy gone?, oh where, oh where, can he be?";)

Must be enjoying the Seychelles and sea days too much. Although my guess would be the Prinsendam is out of range of everywhere!

Looking forward to hearing from you again Grumpy.

Archived