Pacific Jewel No Forward and Aft Facing Free Bars

Parramatta

My hubbie and I are going on the ;):)Pacific Jewel on 19 January, 2010 so I have been reading everybody's really helpful threads. But I have a question if anybody can help, one of the threads I read said that the Jewel has no free forward facing or aft bars, one is $25 per day and the other is $250 for the cruise. Could anybody tell me what do you get at these bars for the money (excuse my ignorance:(), and yes I too have overpacked. Thanks for your help.

Hi Paramatta

I have not yet been on the Pacific Jewel (going in Feb) but the bar that has been posted about is a small bar on deck 11 on the same deck as the minisuites.

It is listed in the brochure as a club lounge and the reports have been fairly conflicting as to exactly what is offered at this bar.

All the other bars are just regular bars and I suspect there will be a few to chose from.

Enjoy your cruise

Linda

Thanks for your replies, the quote I took from another thread is

"There is no forward or aft facing free bars - a very important thing! There are two non-free bar areas - deckl 11 forward at $250 for the cruise & deck 10 aft at $25 per day. "

While I appreciate an adults only area I think a $25 covercharge is a bit much unless you get something for it. The person who posted this has done so on another site and does not clarify if you get anything for your money.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

The Club Lounge on deck 11 I think is meant for the people who are in the suites, but don't quote me on that. I think it's an extra bar for them.

The Oasis on the back of deck 11 seems to be causing a bit of controversy - as it did when they turned Pacific Sun's top deck into an Oasis as well. It's the P&O equivalent of the Princess Cruises Sanctuary area - you pay for a whole day or a half day pass - not sure on price but I think it's $15 for a half day, and maybe $25 for a whole day - and that guarantees you a comfier sun-lounger, unlimited tea/coffee and beverages (non-alcoholic) and snacks, i think I read somewhere on Jewel it's fruit, but on Pacific Sun it also mentions ice-cream so maybe that's there as well, i'm not sure. Bar service is also available.

So you do get more than just a guaranteed deck chair. I'm sitting on the fence on this one - all passengers should be able to access all public areas, but at the same time I can see the benefits of having an area where you can get away from it all, child-free. And the area it occupies on Jewel means it'll be smaller than Pacific Sun's so it's not taking up a lot of deck space.

Pacific Sky used to have an adults-only area on the top sun-deck, so I guess the idea isn't new, just the idea of paying for it. But then you are getting something for your money, not just the seat :)

The Club Lounge on deck 11 I think is meant for the people who are in the suites, but don't quote me on that. I think it's an extra bar for them.

The Oasis on the back of deck 11 seems to be causing a bit of controversy - as it did when they turned Pacific Sun's top deck into an Oasis as well. It's the P&O equivalent of the Princess Cruises Sanctuary area - you pay for a whole day or a half day pass - not sure on price but I think it's $15 for a half day, and maybe $25 for a whole day - and that guarantees you a comfier sun-lounger, unlimited tea/coffee and beverages (non-alcoholic) and snacks, i think I read somewhere on Jewel it's fruit, but on Pacific Sun it also mentions ice-cream so maybe that's there as well, i'm not sure. Bar service is also available.

So you do get more than just a guaranteed deck chair. I'm sitting on the fence on this one - all passengers should be able to access all public areas, but at the same time I can see the benefits of having an area where you can get away from it all, child-free. And the area it occupies on Jewel means it'll be smaller than Pacific Sun's so it's not taking up a lot of deck space.

Pacific Sky used to have an adults-only area on the top sun-deck, so I guess the idea isn't new, just the idea of paying for it. But then you are getting something for your money, not just the seat :)

Just an add on to that the Pacific Star had the same thing adults only on the top deck, but was free and had a spa pool.

Hi all

have emailed my travel agent today regarding this issue and this was her reply:

Hi Guys,

Have just spoken to P&O in regards to your question.

The only charges onboard for any areas are for the "Oasis" which is a child free zone. The cost of this is $15 per day and includes 1 free drink. This is just an adults only area where you able to escape from children.

In regards to the club lounge there are no actual charges nor are there any for the bars onboard these are all free to enter the only cost for the bars is if you are purchasing drinks.

Kind regards,

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there

My P & O contacts tell me the Club Lounge is a pay-to-enter as people has already discussed. Once in it is like an airport or hotel lounge with free internet access, free snacks and free cocktails in the evening. The same area on Pacific Dawn is currently the Captains private entertaining area however it is expected to also become a club lounge at the next refurbishment.

Personally I don't understand the concept. I would rather see a lounge that was restricted to elite Captains Choice members and/or suite customers only.

Hi All

My husband and I got off the Jewl on the 29 January 2010. The oasis rear of deck 10 never went there but apparently $10 per 1/2 day bearing in mind morning is 9-12 and afternoon is 12-5pm which I think rips off the morning session and $15 for the whole day (people we met went there and gave these details). The club lounge is at the front of deck 11, the cost is $250 for the cruise and you cannot join by the day. Breakfast is pastries and fruit and coffee, tea and juice, morning tea is left over pastries, cookies, coffee and juice, afternoon tea is scones, jam, cream and a selection of cakes, tea coffee etc. Evening between 6 and 7pm is pre-dinner drinks and canapes, drinks are base spirits, wine and beer. The evening session was 6-8pm on previous cruises but our understanding was it was abused so it was cut back to an hour. This area is child free, free access to internet, you can sit there all day if you like but you are only provided with the food and drinks in the set periods. As I do not drink tea or coffee I asked when joining if I could have soft drinks instead and was told yes, but when I asked for it after joining I was told no. Staff finally spoke to the food and beverage manner on my behalf and I was allowed soft drinks in the afternoon tea session. This part of the club lounge really annoyed me as I had asked in the first place. There were only 14 people who joined on our cruise and there were all from deck 11 and mostly minisuites. We were really glad we joined because of the people we met there.

The following is not regarding the above thread but if you have booked the jewel for a minisuite please read: If you book deck 11 watch where you book as the noice above us from deck 12 was unbearable. This was the same for all the people who were in the club lounge who booked minisuites. Above us were the tables and chairs outside the chocolate bar, timber floor, metal tables and chairs and people smoking between midnight and sunrise dragging the furniture around to talk to each other. I could sleep through the disco but not that noise.

Archived