Azamara baltic cruise

klamping88@msn.com

first time cruiser, going to Baltics in August, should we get a visa for our visit to ST. Petersburg any other thoughts
If you are planning on using Azamara ship tours OR any of the well reviewed local professional tour companies you will have a blanket visa included in the price of any and all tours. If you have not been to St. Petersburg before that may be the way you want to go as Russian visas are relatively expensive and [like most visas] a hassle.

Having said that, I will also point out that Azamara quite likely will dock close to the center of town. In July 2009 our Journey cruise docked at Lt. Schmidt embankment and the Hermitage, St. Isaac's, etc were clearly visible from the ship. The ability to just get off and walk is definitely a plus if you like that sort of thing. [Most ships, especially the larger ones, dock in an industrial area quite a way from downtown.]

Having been to St. Petersburg several times before [and having ridden the St. P Metro by myself without difficulty (just familiarize yourself with the Russian letter spelling of where you want to go)], personally I'd get the visa, but it is only worth it if you are interested and willing to strike out on your own.

Thom

first time cruiser, going to Baltics in August, should we get a visa for our visit to ST. Petersburg any other thoughts

I noticed that this is your first post on Cruise Critic. Welcome to an incredibly valuable resource.

Here are a few suggestions from a frequent cruiser who relies on Cruise Critic for all sorts of things:

- Become completely familiar with all the resources that CruiseCritic has to offer. Read the port reviews.

- Sign up for the roll call for your cruise. You will "meet" other people on your sailing and be able to get suggestions from your fellow passengers. You'll find people who want to share private tours there. You didn't give the date or I would have found it for you and posted the link.

- Seeing St. Petersburg on your own as a first time cruiser would not be a good idea. Find people on your roll call who are signed up with one of the reputable private agencies operating there (you've already been given several) and go with them. It is much easier to see the sights with a group of 8 or 10 than with a group of 40 on a ship's tour. You can also plan the itinerary to suit your small group.

- Use the Cruise Critic search function to see if your question has already been answered. But never hesitate to ask a question. Recent information is usually the best.

Happy cruise!

The moderators have deleted replies by me & others which listed popular private tour operators in St. Petersburg.... :mad:

It is not necessary to have a Visa when accompanied by a licensed guide.

You could apply in person only for a Tourist Visa ($131 each) at the Russian Embassy http://www.russianembassy.org/ in Washington or at one of of the regional Russian Consular Offices (NYC, Houston, Seattle, & San Francisco).

Alternatively, these commercial agencies will facilitate your Visa application, for a fee:

Archived