What's Up With All of the Robes on Lido?

afcj1

Roll your eyes all you want- yes, I find pajamas in the grocery store offensive. I also find bathing suits without a serious coverup in stores offensive. I find strapless clothing in high schools offensive. I find pants hanging down at mid thigh offensive. I think we have lost all sense of decorum in this country and it shows in many ways. And I don't think that our country and our culture is the better for it.

End of lecture.

I agree 100%...

There is a time and place for everything.....bathrobes and PJ's have no place outside the comfort of your home or, when cruising, outside your cabin unless you are on your way to the spa.

Saggy-butt shorts and baseball caps in the dining room, dirty sneakers with and without socks also have no place.....

Cruising hasn't been the same since the Clampetts struck oil.

I hate those pj pants that are the craze right now....you see them everywhere, I've seen people at Chili's in them, at the grocery store looking like they just rolled out of bed, the 7-11 and every place else. I do not think robes or pj pants are acceptable out in public on a cruise ship. After all, you are sharing your vacation space with 3000 other people. Would you wear your robe to Chili's?:eek:

How about wandering about in bra and panties? Or boxers? Essential things are covered- why would anyone care??? Or filmy little nightgowns just opaque enough to cover up? Whose business would it be.

I am always tickled when people talk about "the olden days" and how nobody cared what you did. You must be joking. Those "olden days" were times when men wore suits and ladies hats and gloves. When men removed their hats inside and tipped them in greeting. When doing the wrong thing would ruin a reputation- and that meant something. Could someone point out any time in the past when people paid less attention to others? Now anything is supposed to go.

How about wandering about in bra and panties? Or boxers? Essential things are covered- why would anyone care??? Or filmy little nightgowns just opaque enough to cover up? Whose business would it be.

I am always tickled when people talk about "the olden days" and how nobody cared what you did. You must be joking. Those "olden days" were times when men wore suits and ladies hats and gloves. When men removed their hats inside and tipped them in greeting. When doing the wrong thing would ruin a reputation- and that meant something. Could someone point out any time in the past when people paid less attention to others? Now anything is supposed to go.

LOL. Go to a party amongst people you know, and you will probably pick out the nicest or newest garp, in the appropriate style.

Go out in your anonymity for a run to the market, the bakery, etc., and you hope you can get away with the sweats or "stupid pants" and even the curlers, hoping you don't run into anyone you know. :eek::D

No, you are not the only one. I would have to agree with you. My first Carnival cruise is coming up next month and before reading these boards I had no idea how many of the fashion police force cruised Carnival. I don't necessairly have any immediate plans to wear my bathrobe to Lido, but it is in no way going to lessen my vacation if someone else does. I spend my vacation enjoying my time with my friends and family and don't waste my precious vacation minutes critiquing the attire of my fellow passengers. I fully plan on the drink of the day being delicious & the water being a sparkling blue no matter what the other passengers are wearing.

Guys coming through the food lines in just a swimsuit. No shirt, no shoes--

Now,:o young ladies--that's different.

Amen. I don't see how what people wear bothers anyone. I don't know that it would be appropriate for the dinning room, which is supposed to be a dressier, nicer location. But for a buffet by the pool on the Lido? Who cares??? A robe covers up a hell of a lot more than what most other people are wearing through the lines, it's no less sanitary (in fact MORE sanitary than what some others are wearing). People need to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing so much and just enjoy yourselves.

And loladuvall, don't think that because some people here on CC complain that this is representative of Carnival cruisers overall. A tiny minority of cruisers visit this website, and these fashion police are NOT very representative of your average cruiser.

Amen. I don't see how what people wear bothers anyone. I don't know that it would be appropriate for the dinning room, which is supposed to be a dressier, nicer location. But for a buffet by the pool on the Lido? Who cares??? A robe covers up a hell of a lot more than what most other people are wearing through the lines, it's no less sanitary (in fact MORE sanitary than what some others are wearing). People need to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing so much and just enjoy yourselves.

But isn't that the point- that there are standards of what is and what is not appropriate for different places?

'Wal-Mart' comment: On my last cruise my daughter noticed that many of our fellow passengers were wearing clothes from Target. One of her jobs was to re-rack clothes left in the dressing room.

The local newspaper had an article in it today by a writer who went on a cruise over New Years eve. She stated that it was cold and many of the passengers were indeed wearing the robes on the lido deck because the robes were the only warm item they had.

But isn't that the point- that there are standards of what is and what is not appropriate for different places?

So when jay z drops 1800 for lunch at a swanky NYC restaurant all the while wearing a ball cap (sideways naturally), it seems to me that the mgmt has deemed him appropriate. But let's judge others while vacationing. :confused:

not a whole lot of difference between them and a bikini and swimming shorts:p

I went to college on a big campus and it was common to see people wandering around all day in pajamas, maybe I've become blind to it. :confused:

Same here! PJ's everywhere... even ::gasp:: the dining halls. Oh the horror!! :eek: LOL

She stated that it was cold and many of the passengers were indeed wearing the robes on the lido deck because the robes were the only warm item they had.

That was my thought as well... I don't recall noticing anyone in their robes on any of my cruises, but not everyone remembers to pack warmer clothing when they are cruising in the carribbean. I can completely understand using a robe if it is a bit chilly.

I don't know what has happened to our society. Now, one finds it so tiring to even get dressed. Come-on, most of us find it tacky and do not wish to see anyone in PJ's or robes while eating. Is it so hard for some people to be presentable when in public? You can even dress to go and get food to take back to one's room. It is disquesting to think someone is out in a food area and has not even taken their shower etc., most likely.

but it beats the old flabby guy in the speedo.:rolleyes:

Archived