The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Thanks for all your information. Loved the LaQuinta Oceanfront and it was great to have Publix so close. We unknowingly were there for an Atlas launch and are thrilled to have seen it.

Unfortunately we were not thrilled with Cocoa Beach Shuttle and will not use them again, but our fault because we had read not great comments.

Thanks for all your information. Loved the LaQuinta Oceanfront and it was great to have Publix so close. We unknowingly were there for an Atlas launch and are thrilled to have seen it.

Unfortunately we were not thrilled with Cocoa Beach Shuttle and will not use them again, but our fault because we had read not great comments.

Hello Bunkie - isn't the LaQuinta great? I love Chris the GM, but then I have so many favorites - see I said Publix was close and then you got that Atlas launch as a bonus -

What did CBS do? Sometimes you really need to listen to what folks here say - a couple you can understand for a number of reasons - noone is perfect and folks do make mistakes and you can NOT get upset with someone BUT if you keep reading something etc is making too many errors, then it is up to us to make our mind which way we are going etc,

NO FURTHER COMMENT :-)

OH IF FORGOT TO ADD ---------thanks for coming down to visit us and come on back - as Preston always use to say - we leave the outdoor lights on for you all night ;-)

Edited by snelsonbrown

Thank you Shirley for giving us the info. for Mike at executive vip limo. Mike picked us up from orlando airport and took us to a nice Italian restaurant for takeout to our hotel since it was pouring rain. He also took us to KSC and from the Freedom back to the airport. I now know why he comes highly recommened on this cruise critic. Very nice guy and very knowledgable about everything in the area. We were very pleased and will use him again and recommend him to all, 5 stars. thanks again Shirley

Hi Shirley,,,

Cruising out of pt.canaveral jan.30th,.,have two rooms holding for the one night plus parking,,,question,,,,we are Floridans,,but not famaliar with this area,,what are some of the places for dinner besides the hotel.....

Thanks in advance..:D..Forgot to mention,,we are staying at the Raddison......

Edited by goouchjac
forgot to add on the hotel

I would like you all to know that I have been looking at rental cars, and Executive VIP Limosines. Mike at VIP has been incredibly helpful, not just with his prices and offer for a package deal covering various travel needs during our stay, but in making good suggestions also. For example, he indicated that he would charge us the same amount from the airport to a hotel in Cape Canaveral such as the Radisson as he would for one in Cocoa Beach, just a 3 or 4 miles farther. However, he mentioned that some of the hotels in Cocoa Beach are VERY close to the beach, restaurants, shops, etc.

I am also looking at a rental car, and to accomodate the 4 us plus our luggage, we'd need a minivan or large SUV. I used Priceline to get some general amounts, and for Saturday from the airport until Monday morning when I need to turn in the car was $161.00 at the cheapest place. Once we are back from the cruise, it will be an additional $85.00 when they tack on all their fees.

It helped me to see all this in perspective. Mike's package is a bit more than renting a car, but not necessarily a ton. It's also made me consider a different hotel, with savings that I can use on something else!

Looks like I might just be going to the Bahamas out of Cape Canaveral after all. :D

So, have many of you stayed at Courtyard by Marriott, and how was your stay? With two daughters ages 22 and 18, I'm not overly fond of us sharing one room with one bath, but the price is good, and I think we can manage for Saturday and Sunday when we are leaving on a cruise Monday morning. The Residence Inn does have the advantage of offering a two bedroom, two bath suite at a cheaper rate than I can do two rooms just about anywhere. The suite is $209.00 per night. That is part of the dilemma, but I think the Courtyard puts us closer to more things to keep us occupied.

Will spring break be much of a problem at Cocoa Beach? Our TA says that it won't be as bad as some of the other Florida beaches.

okay, now I gotta find a really good TexMex rest in Cocoa Beach. We'll be staying at LQ nex to pier. TIA:)

Hey there cruisinlawn,

A good TexMex restaurant in Cocoa Beach???????? HUMMMMMM (I am thinking;-)

We have a good Mexican restaurant in Cape Canaveral. OH I believe Durango has TexMex food and they are in front of LaQuinta. You know what I will give this link and you can scroll and find exactly where you might want to go - you can always mapquest it from where you are staying to the addresses here

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-))

http://www.comevisitcocoabeach.com/restaurants/restaurants.htm/

Hi Shirley,,,

Cruising out of pt.canaveral jan.30th,.,have two rooms holding for the one night plus parking,,,question,,,,we are Floridans,,but not famaliar with this area,,what are some of the places for dinner besides the hotel.....

Thanks in advance..:D..Forgot to mention,,we are staying at the Raddison......

By the Radisson, there isn't too much of a choice BUT the Radisson does offer a free shuttle to the cove where there is a row of restaurants such as Rusty's, Grills, Fishlips and a few others.

Anyhow by the Radisson, you have Zackery's Greek homemade rest., Thai Thai (sushi), Kelsey's Pizzas and Subway subs. That is it unless you wanna come over to my house and I cook :-Q - just kidding

go to post #295 and that will give you a lot of ideas or go to this link

http://www.comevisitcocoabeach.com/restaurants/restaurants.htm/

Edited by snelsonbrown

I would like you all to know that I have been looking at rental cars, and Executive VIP Limosines. Mike at VIP has been incredibly helpful, not just with his prices and offer for a package deal covering various travel needs during our stay, but in making good suggestions also.

So, have many of you stayed at Courtyard by Marriott, and how was your stay? With two daughters ages 22 and 18, I'm not overly fond of us sharing one room with one bath, but the price is good, and I think we can manage for Saturday and Sunday when we are leaving on a cruise Monday morning. The Residence Inn does have the advantage of offering a two bedroom, two bath suite at a cheaper rate than I can do two rooms just about anywhere. The suite is $209.00 per night. That is part of the dilemma, but I think the Courtyard puts us closer to more things to keep us occupied.

Will spring break be much of a problem at Cocoa Beach? Our TA says that it won't be as bad as some of the other Florida beaches.

Ok first thing first - isn't Michael with VIP Kool - what nice folks he and his wife Marlene are - I love it when folks are so sincere - hope he stays that way.

The Courtyard is just great - go in and introduce yourself to Dee - she will make sure you know where everything and anything you may want to do or see, she is the gal.

As for Spring breakers? What can I say? They are kids that are out for a good time. They still believe in living life to its fullest and also believe it or not, they really have been great while here AND I am on the road quite a bit going different places and I really have found them very respectable etc, but then they may think I am 100 years old and need to be nice. All kidding aside, I really don't believe you will find it a big issue and besides that the girls will enjoy it

OK have said enough - come on down and I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Edited by snelsonbrown

Thank you Shirley for giving us the info. for Mike at executive vip limo. Mike picked us up from orlando airport and took us to a nice Italian restaurant for takeout to our hotel since it was pouring rain. He also took us to KSC and from the Freedom back to the airport. I now know why he comes highly recommened on this cruise critic. Very nice guy and very knowledgable about everything in the area. We were very pleased and will use him again and recommend him to all, 5 stars. thanks again Shirley

Hey sailor21 - so you got to go on your cruise and all turned out good I see. Thanks for coming down and thanks for taking the time to post - I agree that Michael is a 5 star plus. Super nice person but then we all are really try to be ;-)

Hope all goes well for you and until you come down again, huge blessings goes out to you and yours - as the song goes "Til we meet again ;-)

Much love always

Edited by snelsonbrown

Great to hear!! I've had good experience dealing with Mike in planning our transportation... and I love hearing more & more good reviews about their service!!

We are down in the Central Florida area for a non-cruise vacation at the moment and spent the afternoon at Cocoa Beach. Based on this thread, I decided to try Florida Seafood for dinner and it was wonderful! The prices were reasonable, just over $100 for 4 adult entrees, 1 kids meal and 3 appetizers. The quality and quantity was great. We all had leftovers to bring home.

We are down in the Central Florida area for a non-cruise vacation at the moment and spent the afternoon at Cocoa Beach. Based on this thread, I decided to try Florida Seafood for dinner and it was wonderful! The prices were reasonable, just over $100 for 4 adult entrees, 1 kids meal and 3 appetizers. The quality and quantity was great. We all had leftovers to bring home.

Norm and I were there today - it is so close to home so we decided to zip over, have a drink and supper AND OF COURSE watch the different tropical fish in the tanks - its nice and relaxing. Glad you enjoyed your time over - were you able to see the boats race? What a masterpiece and of course plenty of traffic - we went over to one of the side streets and watched it - quite the show

come on over anytime - its nice for strolling

Hey Shirley thanks for your nice reply. CBS was to pick us up at 11am at the hotel, so when 11:15 rolled around I called and an unpleasant woman on the phone yelled at me "he's stuck at the port, it's not MY fault". Realizing it certainly wasn't MY fault I gave it until 11:45 and then the nice desk person called me a cab that arrived in 7 minutes and off we went. Maybe CBS shouldn't make promises they can't keep.:rolleyes:

My review on Cocoa Beach Shuttle...

I booked with Cocoa Beach Shuttle back in March to take us from the hotel to Port Canaveral with a rate of $58 per person round trip, private shuttle with a pick up at 9:30.

I got a call while at Cracker Barrell from CBS and was told that the woman who took my reservation no longer works for them but mistakingly quoted us the wrong price. It was actually to be $20 more each way and that they could not honor my rate even though I had it in writing. I could either pay $58 and take a shared shuttle or pay the additional money for private. She explained to me that if I took the shared we would have to pick up more people and not go straight to the port like we intended. I was not happy with either choice but decided to pay the additional money so we could go right to the port as planned.

Our pick up was to be at 9:30 and was called at 9:20 saying our driver was late and would be an additional 30 minutes. Once again not happy.

When we did finally arrive we were given a 15 passenger van that was not in very good condition for our private shuttle. Here I was thinking we would at least get a car not a van. Not happy.

We get on the shuttle and were then told that $15 was automatically added to the bill to cover gratuity. We paid it but took notice that there was a sign in the van that stated gratuities were not added to packages or shuttles. Not happy.

We got the the port at 11:00 after going at top speed the whole way in a van that was in bad need of new tires or an alignment.

We did not use their service to return to the airport and booked with Friendly Transportation instead and were very happy with their service.

This is to Bunkie and familycruzer

The only thing I will say in my answer to both of your comments is due to a number of other reasons & compounded with your experiences, I cannot in good conscience, recommend CBS - no more comments and will not go into it further.

thanks so much for taking the time to share and wish I had known for I would have helped somehow, someway.

Edited by snelsonbrown

Hi,

We will be sailing on the Dream on Satuday 11/27/10. We are from Ga and driving down on Thanksgiving Day probably stopping somewhere halfway, may St. Augustine, then coming on down on Friday. My question is, if we come straight down, will the restaurants and such be open that Thursday? I don't expect they do, just thought I'd ask. We are staying at Country Inn and Suites.

Edited by holden50
incorrect date

Norm and I were there today - it is so close to home so we decided to zip over, have a drink and supper AND OF COURSE watch the different tropical fish in the tanks - its nice and relaxing. Glad you enjoyed your time over - were you able to see the boats race? What a masterpiece and of course plenty of traffic - we went over to one of the side streets and watched it - quite the show

come on over anytime - its nice for strolling

We did not see the boat races, we didn't get over to the beach until 3:30 or so. My kids loved the fish tanks and the 4 adults in our party enjoyed the food so much, we want to go back again.

Hi Shirley,

Hate to bother you on a topic you have answered many times but I can't seem to find the answer.

Which Car Rental firms have shuttles to/from Port Canaveral. I know you have mentioned Avis and others? Are some firms shuttles less

frequent then others?

Coming off the Pride and hope whichever car rental I choose has a shuttle waiting for me, or not too long to wait.

Thanx

Hi Shirley,

Hate to bother you on a topic you have answered many times but I can't seem to find the answer.

Which Car Rental firms have shuttles to/from Port Canaveral. I know you have mentioned Avis and others? Are some firms shuttles less

frequent then others?

Coming off the Pride and hope whichever car rental I choose has a shuttle waiting for me, or not too long to wait.

Thanx

Hello Richstowe,

On post #295, I have a list of all the car rentals here and they all have shuttles and they ALL stay busy - listen I have also listed all the phone numbers for the car rental and for Avis, here is Bob Fink's email address and you are more than welcome to drop him a note.

Avis and Budget are sisters and if he can't help you with one, he can the other, but usually there isn't any problems on the weekdays

Surfercal8@aol.com

All the shuttles are at the port whenever there is ships in which is almost everyday.

The Pride is here on Wednesday and you will be fine.

Good luck

Hi,

We will be sailing on the Dream on Satuday 11/27/10. We are from Ga and driving down on Thanksgiving Day probably stopping somewhere halfway, may St. Augustine, then coming on down on Friday. My question is, if we come straight down, will the restaurants and such be open that Thursday? I don't expect they do, just thought I'd ask. We are staying at Country Inn and Suites.

Most of the time, you do find some restaurants open on Thanksgiving day, but each year it changes and hard to say at this time - when it gets closer and if I can find out, will post a note ok? Since my brain turns into jelly a lot of times, will you remind me?

Thanks

We did not see the boat races, we didn't get over to the beach until 3:30 or so. My kids loved the fish tanks and the 4 adults in our party enjoyed the food so much, we want to go back again.

Its funny, I get so engrossed with the fish tanks that Norm has to remind me my food is getting cool off - Anyhow just about every month, we have all kind of stuff happening here.

You can check on line with the local paper Florida Today and see what they have lined up.

and as for the boat race, it was quite interesting - we haven't had them in over 20 years so it was nice to watch the huge "rooster tails" by the boats.

Take care and nice chatting with you

booked with Friendly Transportation instead and were very happy with their service.

Hey Darlene,

Meant to ask - how was the cruise without no kids and how did the anniversary go?

I believe the Dream is such a neat ship and they have such a great staff - anyhow if you come back here, make sure to just stop by and say hello ok

May the rest of the year be very good to you and yours