The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

[quote name='STARFISH*4']its not about Port Canaveral but about your BELOVED KEY WEST we will be there on the 17th for a few hrs and you had recommended the Blonde Giraffe i believe for Key Lime, but they CLOSED...so WHERE is a GOOD place for a GREAT SLICE? HUBBY is dying for some GREAT KEY LIME PIE!![/quote]

Kermits, has great Key Lime pie.. It is Across from the Conch Republic Seafood.

Yes sadly Blonde Giraffe closed its doors this month. In addition to Kermits (with their great key lime pie on a stick) there's the Key lime Pie Company on Front Street near the ship wreck musuem and Pier House Spa. Of course every restaurant in town serves up some version of this.

I checked car rental companies and really Budget and Avis are pretty close rate wise for 2 day rental - which one is closest to the port at port Canaveral? I'm assuming they both just have 1 location in Cape Canaveral so I have the correct one when booking?

Does anyone prefer one over the other?

We are flying into Orlando 2 days prior to cruise then would need to rent a car again to get back to airport after cruise.

Thanks again.

[quote name='kiraryker']I checked car rental companies and really Budget and Avis are pretty close rate wise for 2 day rental - which one is closest to the port at port Canaveral? I'm assuming they both just have 1 location in Cape Canaveral so I have the correct one when booking?

Does anyone prefer one over the other?

We are flying into Orlando 2 days prior to cruise then would need to rent a car again to get back to airport after cruise.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Budget is one minute closer. Both do a great job!

got my car booked with avis, does anyone know how far their office is from the port? Going out on RCCL from term 10. Do they offer transport to the ship after dropping car off? And will they pick you up at the ship upon return to rent the car back to MCO? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='jayk59101']got my car booked with avis, does anyone know how far their office is from the port? Going out on RCCL from term 10. Do they offer transport to the ship after dropping car off? And will they pick you up at the ship upon return to rent the car back to MCO? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

5 minutes and they will shuttle you for free both ways.

We will be in Port Canaveral before our cruise for 3 nights, from 30th December - 2nd January. Will there be anything to do on NYE? We are a family with 2 kids age 8 and 11 years, staying at Residence Inn, without a car.

[quote name='jaykat']We will be in Port Canaveral before our cruise for 3 nights, from 30th December - 2nd January. Will there be anything to do on NYE? We are a family with 2 kids age 8 and 11 years, staying at Residence Inn, without a car.[/quote]

That is a tough one. Places will be open but how do you plan to get around?

Preston - we decided not to hire a car and instead have organised Michael from VIP limos to take us to the places we need to go (eg airport to hotel, return trip to KSC, one day shopping at Premium outlets). The cost for this was no more than hiring a car for the 3 days. We also decided that since we are from Australia and used to driving on the other side of the road, a car may be more hassle and stress than it is worth.

Just wanted to thank you for all of your information on this thread!

We enjoyed the services of VIP Limo! We will use them exclusively on future trips! Used them from MCO to Doubletree and Port to MCO. A++++++

We stayed at the Doubletree Oceanfront Cocoa Beach and absolutely loved it! Besides being oceanfront, great rooms/beds, microwave, coffee pot in room, yummy cookies, and friendly staff, we also could walk to Publix, hair/nail salon and several restaurants. A++++++

Cab to port was $25 (includes the tip we gave). Sure beats all those sitting in the lobby waiting for a shuttle with tons of luggage, but of course that is a personal decision. A++++++

So Shirley, your score is also A++++++ Edited by missbogota

[quote name='missbogota']Just wanted to thank you for all of your information on this thread!

We enjoyed the services of VIP Limo! We will use them exclusively on future trips! Used them from MCO to Doubletree and Port to MCO. A++++++

We stayed at the Doubletree Oceanfront Cocoa Beach and absolutely loved it! Besides being oceanfront, great rooms/beds, microwave, coffee pot in room, yummy cookies, and friendly staff, we also could walk to Publix, hair/nail salon and several restaurants. A++++++

Cab to port was $25 (includes the tip we gave). Sure beats all those sitting in the lobby waiting for a shuttle with tons of luggage, but of course that is a personal decision. A++++++

So Shirley, your score is also A++++++[/QUOTE]
I am so glad it worked out so well for you and the family - he is great about giving you a personal tour also since he was born and raised here and knows the area well.

BTW for anyone coming here this week --BUNDLE Up ---OUR TEMP TOMORROW WILL BE A FEEL LIKE 22 degrees and keep COLD until this weekend - oh too the wind is blowing between 10 and 15 miles per hour so that makes it even feel colder - did any of you all bring this freeze down with you :P? Naw didn't think so Mother Nature did it
Hugssssssssss and stay warm everybody

[quote name='jaykat']Preston - we decided not to hire a car and instead have organised Michael from VIP limos to take us to the places we need to go (eg airport to hotel, return trip to KSC, one day shopping at Premium outlets). The cost for this was no more than hiring a car for the 3 days. We also decided that since we are from Australia and used to driving on the other side of the road, a car may be more hassle and stress than it is worth.[/QUOTE]

Good choice especially not being use to driving in the USA - I would have to do the same if I went to your country which I pray to do someday - understand it is an awesome place.
ENJOY your stay with us.

[quote name='Penn Mom']We have vip limo scheduled to take us to KSC on Dec. 1.

Michael's email address is: [EMAIL="viplimo@screenstar.com"]viplimo@screenstar.com[/EMAIL]

I hope this helps!:)[/quote]

I just wanted to say thanks so much for this information we used his services and it was a great experience if in the area would use him again.
I would recommend this service for anyone looking for any transportation you need while at Cape Canaveral.

Hi all.....a few questions:

- Any good hotel recommendations? We'll be staying 1-2 nights and driving from MCO to a hotel near the port. We'll have a 7yo and 4 yo with us, so pool is a must.
- How far to Cocoa beach, or a nice beach for the girls to play?

Thanks!!

[quote name='jaykat']Preston - we decided not to hire a car and instead have organised Michael from VIP limos to take us to the places we need to go (eg airport to hotel, return trip to KSC, one day shopping at Premium outlets). The cost for this was no more than hiring a car for the 3 days. We also decided that since we are from Australia and used to driving on the other side of the road, a car may be more hassle and stress than it is worth.[/quote]

This area is small so if you need a few cabs it won't cost much.

I would like to take a minute to point something out due to a complaint on another board. The Radisson, Residence Inn and Country Inn and Suites are the closest to the port. When you leave Orlando you will take one road called the Beachline straight for about 45 miles. It will take you just past the ships where it ends and that is where the hotels are. Just past that the road now A1A curves South and heads into Cocoa beach.

These hotels are not on the ocean and if you have a car the beach is five minutes away. The complaint was thinking you could walk from these properties to the ocean. You could but it is a healthy walk.

Many go the extra mile or two past these properties and get a room on the ocean. The properties mentioned are all very nice but I never understood why more do not stay 5 minutes farther away and be oceanfront. It does not typically cost more.

Hope this clears up a little confusion. Like Shirley said it is chilly here! Bundle up.

[quote name='kiraryker']We have ocean front on Cocoa Beach at the LaQuinta I hope it is a nice place looks like it is right by the pier

About how from is it to Universal Stuidos from there? We are renting a car as we will be there 2 days prior to our sailing[/quote]

I just did some remodeling in my house and stayed at LaQuinta. It is great and the location cannot be beat. You are close to everything. Try the Buffalo shrimp at Aw Shucks on the pier. Its about 1 hour and 15 -30 minutes to Universal. Easy drive. Enjoy!

Shirley & Preston:

Fabulous information on this thread! Thank you so much.

Does anyone have an update on what will be open in Cocoa Beach on December 25, particularly for dinner? We're an extended family of 13 arriving from various points on December 25, prior to our December 26 departure on Freedom of the Seas.

So far, I have determined that Publix is definitely closed and Ron Jon Surf Shop is definitely open (it's open 24/7/365, believe it or not).

I'm acting as the family travel planner, so I'd like to find a place for dinner in walking distance from the Best Western Cocoa Beach.

Only 18 days now!

Charles

[quote name='mncyclist']Shirley & Preston:

Fabulous information on this thread! Thank you so much.

Does anyone have an update on what will be open in Cocoa Beach on December 25, particularly for dinner? We're an extended family of 13 arriving from various points on December 25, prior to our December 26 departure on Freedom of the Seas.

So far, I have determined that Publix is definitely closed and Ron Jon Surf Shop is definitely open (it's open 24/7/365, believe it or not).

I'm acting as the family travel planner, so I'd like to find a place for dinner in walking distance from the Best Western Cocoa Beach.

Only 18 days now!

Charles[/quote]

Shirley I will leave this up to you!