The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Then I guess, we won't visit the zoo since I didn't want to drive in the area....do you know how much would a cab cost to go there???? sorry too many questions!!!!

Hello manonreal - I know you have gotten some excellent suggestions here on going to the zoo, but in all honestly, it is so easy and such a beautiful drive - first think about renting a car for it so much more comfortable to do so - you start out going on A1A for about 11 miles South until you come to Pineda Causeway which is just pasted Patrick Air Force base, turn West (Right) and go over the bridges that crosses the Banana River and then Indian River - you keep on heading West until you come to Wickham Blvd - turn right and just keep driving for you will see signs on both sides - Its maybe 4 or so miles North - as I said the drive is very pretty and comforting for you have the Atlantic Ocean until you turn West and then the 2 rivers - you make exactly 2 turns from whereever you rent the car - traffic isn't bad once you leave Cocoa Beach so hope you will think of about what it has to offer.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - it will take less than 1/2 hour to get there unless you get caught up in seeing the kids surfing and playing on the beach :)

Edited by snelsonbrown

Hello manonreal - I know you have gotten some excellent suggestions here on going to the zoo, but in all honestly, it is so easy and such a beautiful drive - first think about renting a car for it so much more comfortable to do so - you start out going on A1A for about 11 miles South until you come to Pineda Causeway which is just pasted Patrick Air Force base, turn West (Right) and go over the bridges that crosses the Banana River and then Indian River - you keep on heading West until you come to Wickham Blvd - turn right and just keep driving for you will see signs on both sides - Its maybe 4 or so miles North - as I said the drive is very pretty and comforting for you have the Atlantic Ocean until you turn West and then the 2 rivers - you make exactly 2 turns from whereever you rent the car - traffic isn't bad once you leave Cocoa Beach so hope you will think of about what it has to offer.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - it will take less than 1/2 hour to get there unless you get caught up in seeing the kids surfing and playing on the beach :)

Shirley you describe it so much better than I do! Happy New Year

The christening of the new Disney Cruise Ship Dream this morning was breathtaking - make sure you take the time to watch the news on the christening - Port Canaveral was filled with super stars, media, fireworks - DCL and the port pulled all stops out.

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are traveling arriving at Cape Canveral on a Saturday and sailing Monday on the Monarch. I was looking at the port cruise schedules. Did I read it right. We could see 3 ships in port on Sunday morning? If so is there some place we can get breakfest while viewing the ships?

Thanks!

We are traveling arriving at Cape Canveral on a Saturday and sailing Monday on the Monarch. I was looking at the port cruise schedules. Did I read it right. We could see 3 ships in port on Sunday morning? If so is there some place we can get breakfest while viewing the ships?

Thanks!

the best place to watch the ships which are RCCL Freedom of the Seas, Carnival Sensation and the new Disney ship the Dream which will start sailing on Thursday and Sunday after their maiden voyage on the 26th. If you choose to go back in the afternoon for supper around 4 or so, you can see the ships pass right by all the restaurants at the port - Me? I would go to Rusty's for supper, Grills for breakfast, but that is my choice -

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with any of your choices :)

the best place to watch the ships which are RCCL Freedom of the Seas, Carnival Sensation and the new Disney ship the Dream which will start sailing on Thursday and Sunday after their maiden voyage on the 26th. If you choose to go back in the afternoon for supper around 4 or so, you can see the ships pass right by all the restaurants at the port - Me? I would go to Rusty's for supper, Grills for breakfast, but that is my choice -

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with any of your choices :)

I agree Shirley. Grills has a good breakfast and you can sit outside!

looking for some place for dinner before our FOS cruise...staying at Radisson & don't want anything fancy. Some good seafood with a nice view???? Anyone??

If you will click just above my name, you will find a great deal of information that will help

or you can do a search on this thread and you will a number of input from so many.

looking for some place for dinner before our FOS cruise...staying at Radisson & don't want anything fancy. Some good seafood with a nice view???? Anyone??

Being a local, I would recommend Millikins Reef...their menu has a large assortment...(menu in the link). Sitting out side at the tiki bar is the best for casual, inside is a little fancy (same menu) BUT best of all...you are smack on the water where you can see the cruise ships docked, and see them come and go. The tiki bar has a super happy hour where you will find alot of locals INCLUDING ME! HA) I am not sure about their live music sched (usually a steel drum type thing...NOT crazy loud) but the stage is cool, set in a sand area with volleyball (NEVER saw anyone playing..), this gives the tiki bar area a beachy feel.

I have only had the cheesburger (HUGE) and the escargo, both of which I recommend!

http://millikensreef.com/

Being a local, I would recommend Millikins Reef...their menu has a large assortment...(menu in the link). Sitting out side at the tiki bar is the best for casual, inside is a little fancy (same menu) BUT best of all...you are smack on the water where you can see the cruise ships docked, and see them come and go. The tiki bar has a super happy hour where you will find alot of locals INCLUDING ME! HA) I am not sure about their live music sched (usually a steel drum type thing...NOT crazy loud) but the stage is cool, set in a sand area with volleyball (NEVER saw anyone playing..), this gives the tiki bar area a beachy feel.

I have only had the cheesburger (HUGE) and the escargo, both of which I recommend!

http://millikensreef.com/

I am a fan as well but I like all the places at the port!

Thanks for the info. all! Are any of these places w'i' walking distance from the Radisson??

The port is a short cab ride. But worth it. Go an hour or so before sunset!

@ Preston:

I like the port as well, but in the past few years seems like Grill's has gotten more expensive and the bar staff outside NEVER SMILE! I am in customer services/guest services, and the first thing you should do is smile at a customer and greet them, "Hello, how are you today?" Millikins staff are always happy, joking with each other and the patrons. It's entertaining, and breaks the ice with other patrons, who then speak to each other and buy more drinks! (A plus for me as I am usually alone due to work sched. I have weird times off.)

Our circle of friends have a running joke with Grills..ask for the shark ka-bobs, while they have been on the menu for years, they almost never have them. I do enjoy the boat ramp follies..As for Rusty's...service is good and they have my fav appetizer..Crab Augratin...if you haven't tried it, you won't be sorry when you do!

The port is a short cab ride. But worth it. Go an hour or so before sunset!

@ Preston:

I like the port as well, but in the past few years seems like Grill's has gotten more expensive and the bar staff outside NEVER SMILE! I am in customer services/guest services, and the first thing you should do is smile at a customer and greet them, "Hello, how are you today?" Millikins staff are always happy, joking with each other and the patrons. It's entertaining, and breaks the ice with other patrons, who then speak to each other and buy more drinks! (A plus for me as I am usually alone due to work sched. I have weird times off.)

Our circle of friends have a running joke with Grills..ask for the shark ka-bobs, while they have been on the menu for years, they almost never have them. I do enjoy the boat ramp follies..As for Rusty's...service is good and they have my fav appetizer..Crab Augratin...if you haven't tried it, you won't be sorry when you do!

I understand how you feel.

Hello to all,

I just wanted again thanks Preston and others that made it possible to put together all the above information to make choices easier for everyone - I do not endorse any of the places or businesses that have been put on the list. It is just to give you a little more insight especially if you are traveling here for the first time.

Thanks again to all

Always

Shirley

PS forgot to add the link to the old thread in case you need to refer back to it at any time>

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720

Thanks to all who have done this! It's wonderful!! :D

Have anyone use Executive Vip limo service lately? I'm trying to find any reviews, pictures, or limo type info if you have any. I'm hoping to use them for our Disney Cruise in June. TIA

I have not used them but have only seen positive reviews.

Have anyone use Executive Vip limo service lately? I'm trying to find any reviews, pictures, or limo type info if you have any. I'm hoping to use them for our Disney Cruise in June. TIA

You will not be disappointed - Michael is a local who knows the area well and gives you an insight to all the area surrounding no matter where you are taken - so far they have had great reviews.

I just read about the horrendous accident on the Beachline on Merritt Island. My prayers to the families of the 2 drivers.

Shirley I read on DIS boards that you and your DH missed this mess by 15 minutes, thank goodness you're ok.

I'm wondering now how we should alter our route to get to PC now. We will be coming from I95. I read the eastbound lane could be close for 25 days or so. I'm sure many of us would appreciate a suggested route. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

JoAnn