NCL - Dawn

jeanne0919

I will be cruising on the Dawn in March - I have been studying the ship on line and noticed many restaurants charge a "cover charge" -- is this a new thing? I haven't cruise in 7 years...:cool:

Doesn't seem fair -- what are your views on this?

Also on this ship -- the Garden Villa, A 5000 SQ FT room -- can't even find pricing -- who stays in this room..can't imagine the price on that.:eek:

Any other info someone can give me for this ship would be appreciated....

Thanks!

Just off the Dawn on Sunday. I always felt that the specialty restaurants were for " special occasions. We went to Impressions. The food and service were outstanding, similar to what you would get in a fine dining establishment. The servers are much more attentive in the speciaty restaurant and the food is a few steps above the dining room service and food.

I will be cruising on the Dawn in March - I have been studying the ship on line and noticed many restaurants charge a "cover charge" -- is this a new thing? I haven't cruise in 7 years...:cool:

Doesn't seem fair -- what are your views on this?

Also on this ship -- the Garden Villa, A 5000 SQ FT room -- can't even find pricing -- who stays in this room..can't imagine the price on that.:eek:

Any other info someone can give me for this ship would be appreciated....

Thanks!

What doesn't seem fair? You still have the main dining rooms, buffet, room service, and a fast food-type restaurant included as part of your base cruise fare. The specialty restaurants are optional at a small surcharge and many have "ethnic" food...Chinese, Japanese, Tex-Mex, Italian, Continental, etc. not available in the main dining rooms.

here is a run down of the Dawn food options .... plenty there without paying extra, but nice choices for something extra if you want.

Venetian Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room) B L D

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Aqua Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room) D

Cuisine: Continental

Impressions of Italy D

Cuisine: Italian

Surcharge: Yes $10

Reservations Required: yes

Bamboo - A Taste of Asia D

Cuisine: Japanese, Thai, Chinese (Sushi, Sashimi, Teppanyaki)

Surcharge: Yes, $15.00 per person ~ $25 for Teppanyaki ~ Sushi has extra charge too

Reservations Required: Yes

Le Bistro French Restaurant D

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Cagney's Steakhouse D

Cuisine: Steak

Surcharge: Yes, $25 per person

Salsa D

Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex Tapas Bar

Surcharge: Yes $10 (Tapas Bar is "free")

Garden Cafe/Kids' Cafe B L D

Cuisine: Assorted Buffet, Food Stations, Kid-Sized Buffet

Blue Lagoon B L D

Cuisine: Food Court, Grill

Hours 24 Hours

Bimini Bar & Grill L

Hamburgers, fries, pretzels, hot dogs, etc

Lunch

Some Lunchtime poolside grill / buffets on sea days - no surcharge

Room Service 24 hours - menu in cabin - tip for server recommended

The Garden Villa is a dream! It usually sells for around $10,000 per person (for the first 2). You'd be surprised.... both villas are usually booked fairly early for each sailing. We've been on the Dawn 4 times. And, every time, both Villas were occupied. Last June some friends we made here on CC sailed in a Villa and hosted us for happy hour. It's absolutely stunning!!!

Thank you everyone -- especially to Bakerintn for the pricing, I will share this with my party of 10.. I never remember paying extra for any restaurants years ago...times are a changing I guess.

Not bad, I know we will be trying them.

THanks also 2cruise4ever for the Villa info & experience...would love to see it.

Upcharge restaurants are not unique to NCL. Mass Market cruise lines must look all over for revenue enhancement and they all have tapped into the alternative restaurant Not sure how you are getting to your destination but every major airline except Southwest is charging bag fees. Have not seen an uproar over that. That to me is one of the most unfair charges out there.

Most ships on all lines now offer a surcharge dining restuarant. NCL offers several.

How do I feel about it??

I absolutely LOVE it. The charge is minimal and the added variety suits us...esepcailly for long cruises.

You do not have to eat at any of these venues...they are OPTIONS. I do urge you to try LeBistro and/or Teppanyaki...also superb on the Dawn is Salsa. Salsa is a mere $10 pp and the food is exceptional. There will be nights when they offer a two-for-one in that restaurant. Please don't miss it. The tuna appetizer is amazing and the lobster tacos are to die for.

Cagney's is OK...but not as awesome as LeBistro by any means.

To the OP: I love the availability of all the surcharge restaurants, although I admit that I was not happy when they started charging for the Italian and Tex-Mex venues, which were once included in the fare. I love the variety of cuisine and have never had a bad meal in one of the specialty restaurants. I always make it a point to book Le Bistro, Cagney's and Teppanyaki. For the past couple cruises, I have also dined in the Asian and Tex-Mex restaurants and they have been very good, too.

What's nice is that you have OPTIONS!!

We mostly eat in main dining rooms..and enjoy it ! :)

Once in awhile, when we want a treat..we "go out" to one of the pay places...and enjoy that too...;)

Archived