Champagne Balcony Breakfast?

caribtravel

We had it two years ago,, our ta purchased it for us.. We thought it was a nice gesture, but we would never pay for it ourselves.. we just were not impressed. The hot foods were lukewarm( quiche and coffee) and the cold foods were not all that great.. frankly , I 'd rather have breakfast in the dining room,, or even buffet.

I wish we had known we could ask for substitutes,, I would have liked just some coffee and an omlette or eggs benny. Maybe if the servers didn't have to bring so much stuff the hot food would arrive hot( our bagel was not toasted either, yech) ..

That picture does not represent all the food we got either,, we had stuff on counters and on the bed.

From what I understand for the UBD the waiter stays out in the hallway.

We felt that as we can eat in a restaurant anytime we choose the UBD would be much more special for us.

I think it depends who you have serving. Our waiter for our UBD was in tuxedo and styed with us most of the time, serving a canape or pouring champaign. He removed the lobster tail shell from our Surf and Turf and let us alone while we ate the main. We were so full we had to ask him to leave the dessert.

It was very nice and we would do the dinner again but not the breakfast.

Here is a picture of the UB breakfast

2303818020102427974S500x500Q85.jpg

That is so not what we got. That would have been great. Nor did we get a tablecloth or set up. We had the trays delivered and put on our coffee table and that was the extent of it. No ice bucket either. Just the bottle of champagne.

Plus we had one of the small round tables on our balcony. You could barely get two plates on it, let alone the coffee pot and cups. Like a lot of things, I think it depends on the ship etc.

That is so not what we got. That would have been great. Nor did we get a tablecloth or set up. We had the trays delivered and put on our coffee table and that was the extent of it. No ice bucket either. Just the bottle of champagne.

Plus we had one of the small round tables on our balcony. You could barely get two plates on it, let alone the coffee pot and cups. Like a lot of things, I think it depends on the ship etc.

When/what ship did you have the UBB on? John & Connie your UBB has set a high standard for future UBB. With such romatic set up, I think we could manage to love UBB, even without the bonus of eggs, salmon, crab, and quiche I now know about, thanks to all of you:D

I don't understand why folks think is fun! We considered the "dinner on the balcony" before we left, thinking it sounded romantic. But then we saw the balcony, and the smoking neighbors, and we wondered what the server does while you're eating, wander around the cabin? sit on the bed and stare at you? watch tv? Does he stay and serve you all your courses like in the dining room, pour extra champagne? Or does he just plop everything down on that tiny table and leave?

Fine dining in the Crown grill was our choice for our anniversary treat, but it didn't have the view of the ocean or sunset, and I'm sure that's why, people even consider this option, different strokes for different folks!

Belle

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is wonderful! I can't speak for "smoking neighbors" but as for the balcony, you don't have to have dinner on your balcony. We have had this dinner 4 times and each time it was in our room due to weather - it is still fantastic!

They bring you the menu the day before usually, set a time you want to eat, bring in a card table sized table and set it up with linens, silverware and fresh flowers which you keep.

While you are having your cocktail/champagne whichever you choose, a photographer comes in and takes pictures of you at your table. You receive a 5x7 the next day.

No, the server doesn't wander around the cabin, sit on the bed or stare at you. He brings in each course and leaves yes, he peeks in to see if you are done and usually you are as he gives you a significent amount of time to finish. He comes in and pours the champagne. When he brings the dessert an coffee he then leaves for good and asks that you call room service for them to pick up everything which they do very promptly.

It is a very relaxing, delicious dinner and well worth the price even if you don't have it on your balcony. But as you say, different strokes for different folks.

• 2 months later...

We always get this when sailing Princess and the last time was on the Coral five weeks ago. We're not smoked salmon or quiche fans so have ALWAYS substituted when we call to order it and it has never been a problem. We substitute eggs benedict but get everything else - fruit, pastries, etc. It is a LOT of food, so last time we put our beautiful sculpted melon full of strawberries and blueberries in the fridge and picked at it over the next couple of days. I highly recommend it!

We had it while cruising Glacier Bay on the Sapphire last summer. The weather was great and we enjoyed the private time. We didn't substitute, but did request a ham & cheese omlette, 2 yogurts and a pot of hot chocolate for our 2 children. All of which were brought with no additional charges.

We would definitely do it again.

We had it while cruising Glacier Bay on the Sapphire last summer. The weather was great and we enjoyed the private time. We didn't substitute, but did request a ham & cheese omlette, 2 yogurts and a pot of hot chocolate for our 2 children. All of which were brought with no additional charges.

We would definitely do it again.

What time of year were you in Alaska? We are thinking about this for our July Alaska cruise but worried it might be too cold.

Thanks!

What time of year were you in Alaska? We are thinking about this for our July Alaska cruise but worried it might be too cold.

Thanks!

July 4,2009-July 11. 2009. Of course it was a little chilly at 6am when we entered Glacier Bay, but the sun was out in full force and with the balcony it was easy to pop back into our cabin if we got too cold.

July 4,2009-July 11. 2009. Of course it was a little chilly at 6am when we entered Glacier Bay, but the sun was out in full force and with the balcony it was easy to pop back into our cabin if we got too cold.

We are going the same time this year! July 5-12, 2010!! Thanks for passing along the info. This is definitely something I want to try!

We are going the same time this year! July 5-12, 2010!! Thanks for passing along the info. This is definitely something I want to try!

While of course you can't count on it, I'm hoping you have the great weather that we had last year. I think it was something like 86 degrees when we were in Skagway! We were thrilled to be in our air-conditioned car as opposed to family members who were on the un-air-condition traain on such a hot day. That dome didn't help matters either.

Archived