Cruise director Hamish

zimmerjulie

Hi All,

I was reading a review of the Norwegian Star Christmas cruise and noticed the mention of a cruise director that is new to me. His name is Hamish. Has anyone sailed with him? It seems that he was with Royal Caribbean, then most recently with Carnival.

I never had much interest in the identity of the cruise director, until I learned that they were responsible for everything to do with onboard entertainment and until I had a very bad one followed by a very good one :D.

When I started paying attention to such things, it was easy to see how much the cruise director has to do with the onboard "vibe".

Just wondering if anyone has any info or opinions on what seems to be a new addition to Norwegian's family.

We spent a week on the Star with Hamish in December- he is very enthusiastic- ends all of his announcements with "Woo-Hoo!" :rolleyes: (became somewhat of a joke by the end of the week)

He and his staff were very 'present' - even during boarding and port stops.

We really liked Hamish as the cruise director on our 13 night Panama Canal transit on the Star in December. He was very personable and we spent some time personally chatting with him on the last night of our cruise and found him very approachable and sincere. We thought the quality and variety of the entertainment as well as the daily activites were excellent on the Star and this was our 5th NCL cruise and 18th overall! Only complaint is that the staff tended to shut down activities as early as they possibly could after 10 at night. We found this particularly annoying at the karaoke time in the carousel lounge as there was a group of us from our CC roll call who were still enjoying ourselves and they just closed it up before 11 pm! This happened on several occasions. (Perhaps we weren't spending enough per person on drinks?:rolleyes:)

yep that was OUR COMPLAINT too about SHUTTING down things early like LAMBs2 said!!

we LIKED HAMISH...found him to be one of the MORE FRIENDLIER and PERSONABLE CDs!!! got to KNOW him a bit on our PC cruise...the BEST part is when he went in the POOL one night....coaxed by me and others and being the SPORT he was...DOVE in minus shirt and shoes...WOOO HOOOOOO!!! GREAT TIME on this CRUISE and i feel HE HELPED make it that way........WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!

You need to have had Hamish as your CD to understand the WOO HOO!;)

Hamish was our CD during our Dec. 26 cruise. I didn't even notice the Woo Hoo until it was pointed out during the Second City show. Then it was a huge laugh on the ship. At the end of all his announcements you would hear people doing the Woo Hoo with him. My daughter and I had a couple of chances to talk with him and found him to be a very friendly and kind guy.

Hamish was assistant CD to Paul Baya on our Spirit cruise to Bermuda in September and also the first week of our two-week Spirit cruise to Quebec in October. During the second week, he took over for Paul as Paul prepared to change ships. Hamish was hilarious MCing things like the Battle of the Sexes and the Newlywed/Not-So-Newlywed Game. He was not as polished as Paul B., but few are.

Archived