Family Suite vs. 2 rooms vs. family room

I am sure this has been discussed a thousand times. However since we cruise so infrequently I am not on the board much. The last two years dh and I have done the short 3 night cruise. Our kids are revolting LOL Last year we promised to take them this year. We live in FL so thankfully no plane tickets needed. When dh gets his bonus we will purchase the cruise. We are going on the 7 night from Miami on August 8th Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Liberty of the Seas.

We have a 3 yr old dd who is VERY outgoing and two boys 9 and 10 yrs old (well 8 now but will be 9 then). I love the suite idea with getting the full menu in the room and not having to go into the dining room all time. Basically it looks like two rooms would run us $4200 online not sure of the family room or family suite. So what is your option on the room options?

Also how do you check for price dropped on the family stuff?

Thanks for the advice

Tammy

We have 5 adults going in April.

We have the RFS on voyager.

But with kids I would do that suite as well.

If the 17 year old wants her own room, give her the couch.

Or let her come up with the single fare.

But at least your kids will be in the suite with you,

and not on top of you !

Tammy, my wife and I JUST went through the same decision making process for the Liberty cruise we just booked. I have a 4 and 7 year old. Both boys. We had a Junior Suite last time. This time we decided on two interior adjoining rooms. It will be nice to have two bathrooms and overall more sq footage. We didn't care about the balcony. We like that we could be in one room while the kids take a nap in the other.

You have several options. :) I'm not sure if you want a balcony, or what your budget is, so I'll cover a few of your options that I'm aware of (we too are a family of 5).

You can book a suite, but you will pay more for a suite than getting two (or three) rooms. As you mentioned, you will get perks from booking the suite (concierge lounge, reserved pool seating, extra cruise credits, etc.).

The family staterooms will fit with your family as well; however, they are typically priced more than purchasing 2 connecting cabins.

You can book two connecting cabins in many categories (balconies, ocean views, insides). There are a few cabins that have one balcony connecting with an inside or ocean view (deck 9). The balcony/inside will only hold a max of 4 total due to room configuration; however, you could book the cheapest inside, but sleep everyone in the same two rooms (not use the inside). The balcony/outside configuration will sleep your family of five without "working the system."

We sailed on the Freedom last week and had 4 connecting/adjoining Promenade staterooms - they gave us plenty of room, with room to spare. We couldn't pass up the rate and decided to try this type of cabin since my husband wasn't with us (he'll only do balconies). They only sleep 2 each, but, again, you could easily sleep a small child on one of the two sofas in these rooms. Again, you would have to book another cabin at the single occupancy rate, but it may be worthwhile for your family. You could even bring a friend or family member! (Maybe help with the kids?!!)

Hope this helps!!!

We leave next week on a 10 night Jewel cruise and found the Family Ocean view was quite a bit cheaper than two outside cabins. Our kids are 13, 9 & 7 so I think we'll fit in fine - will report back in a few weeks!!

The only way to check for price drops is to keep phoning so you feel like a real PITA. We didn't call to often and we didn't get any kind of a price cut. We paid about $3,900 for 10 nights.

I just bumped up from a GS to the RFS. Only me, DW, and DD age 9. DD does not know yet...in fact I think we will not tell her until we get to the cabin...will be a surprise to her.

We did the upgrade because it was something new to try...the extra regular bed in its own room is going to be a huge hit for DD. Plenty of space to hang clothes etc...and with my parents aboard there is plenty of room in the living room to all get together. Of course they are in a GS so we can go hang in their cabin as well...only 3 doors apart.

I tried to get my three nieces come but airfare is a factor in that not being a possibility for them. Maybe my dad will offer FF miles for them to come...

If we end up with those three it will be six...two in the spare bedroom, and two on the couch I suppose...unless the two pullmans are in the spare in which case they will be set up so all 4 are in there I guess.

RFS can price out a lot less then 2 cabins since it is 2 at the 1/2 pax fare and everyone else is at the extra person fare, which on some cruises is a huge difference. That is the case on our cruise...3-8 pax is $299, for a week long cruise.

Archived