Shadow Panama Canal Advice needed please

Cruisin4evr

I am looking to book the Shadow for a Panama Canal cruise for our 25th anniversary. We are not new to cruising but we haven’t cruised with Silversea as of yet. Any information about this cruise would be appreciated.

My DH wears a patch for seasickness, my first question would be, does this smaller ship feel if the seas are rough when the ship reaches mexico? When going thru the canal, is there any kind of commentary running at the same time so you are learning at the same time?

Now I know it is hard to compare apples and oranges, and I do know the food is far more superior on Silversea, but what do you think about the aft Penthouse on Infinity vs a Medallion (same price point)? Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Cruisin4Evr,

Our next to last cruise was in the aft Penthouse on the Millie, and our last cruise was on a standard mid-ship veranda on the Shadow. Our next cruise is booked on another mid-ship veranda on the Whisper - point made? :)

To expand, what you give up in room you will (in our opinion) more than make up in service/food/amenities/lack of crowds.

CatServants

Cruisin4Evr: As you can see I am booked on the Silver Shadow for the Panama Canal cruise in late April, and looking forward to it.

My late wife and I were avid cruisers on Celebrity and always had a Royal Suite on our six cruises. Once we had taken a cruise on Silversea's Silver Shadow there was no going back. On Silver Shadow we had a Silver Suite which is much larger and better laid out than the Royal Suites on Celebrity. Our total out of pocket was roughly the same for 10 nights on Infinity to Alaska and 9 nights on Silver Shadow. The really big difference is that Silversea is all inclusive and tips are included in the fare. No constant signing of chits on Silversea.

As to the ride - Silver Shadow is still a large ship, although not compared to Infinity. If you are departing from Fort Lauderdale for the trip through the Panama Canal, the entire trip to the Canal will be in the Caribbean Sea and not the Atlantic Ocean. On my cruise this Nov-Dec., the Caribbean Sea was like glass for the entire trip. However, when you come out the Western end of the Canal you will be in the Pacific Ocean, and it can be silky smooth, low rollers, or even rough depending on the weather.

It is not just that the food is substantially better on Silversea than Celebrity, but the service is better, there are no crowds or lines to endure, and after the first day many of the crew will be addressing you by name.

Thank you Catservants, cechase and meow for your responses to my question. I do really appreciate your help.

Catservants, I hear you loud and clear! ;) We were on the Constellation at Christmas in a RS and we were extremely disappointed in the condition of the suite. The hot tub was not functioning, the carpeting was showing signs of past floods and the shower tile showed signs of tiles that had previously fallen off and put up in a poor manner. The shower itself was suspect as well and I have written to Celebrity letting them know how disgusting it was. It makes me very shy to go and book the penthouse on the Infinity for our anniversary and find the same thing :( So I can very well see how you moved up and out!

meow, I have found your great entries thank you! I am still reading and re-reading. Thank you for sharing such a detailed account of your trip. I will be sharing your report with my husband this weekend when we have time to go through all the pages :)

cechase, looks like there is a good chance we will be joining you. This is the cruise that we are looking at. Before Christmas, our TA thought that we would enjoy HAL and the Ryndam (never sailed HAL before). I haven't had a very good feeling about that sailing at all and that is why I put down a deposit on Infinity. Until the other night when I found Silversea on a personal search on the net. Now I am thinking no, neither are right, it's Silversea that we want.

This is like looking for a car! LOL, when you look at too many cruises, you start getting confused. Because it's our 25th, and both my husband and I have health issues that make life a bit of a pain at times, I just want to make our trip special and memorable, and upgrade it more than we normally would, I just want to make the right decision.

Again, thanks so much for helping me make up my mind!!!

I tend to agree with you Lord of the seas, for only $600 more, look at what you are getting!

Having had a Silver Suite on our first cruise [my wife passed away in Jan. of 2009] we thought that it was quite abit larger than the Royal Suites on Celebrity, and much better laid out. For example, while one is sleeping in the bedroom, the other can go to the bathroom without going through the bedroom.

I would love to have a Silver Suite, however for one person, Silversea's veranda suites are quite roomy enough for me, and also I now have to pay a solo supplement. Knowing the cost of Royal Suites and Penthouse Suites on Celebrity, I would think that the cost of the Silver Suite would be the same or less than a PH Suite.

Hope you join us. Started a Roll Call for this cruise, but no activity and it is a page or so back on this forum.

To answer one unanswered question, the 2 times I have been through the canal on the Shadow, there was commentary, no guarantees going forward about that. You will love the canal, if you find that at all interesting. I will be making my 4th transit soon, and as we speak am currently wearing my Canal hat!

Thank you Catservants, cechase and meow for your responses to my question. I do really appreciate your help.

Catservants, I hear you loud and clear! ;) We were on the Constellation at Christmas in a RS and we were extremely disappointed in the condition of the suite. The hot tub was not functioning, the carpeting was showing signs of past floods and the shower tile showed signs of tiles that had previously fallen off and put up in a poor manner. The shower itself was suspect as well and I have written to Celebrity letting them know how disgusting it was. It makes me very shy to go and book the penthouse on the Infinity for our anniversary and find the same thing :( So I can very well see how you moved up and out!

meow, I have found your great entries thank you! I am still reading and re-reading. Thank you for sharing such a detailed account of your trip. I will be sharing your report with my husband this weekend when we have time to go through all the pages :)

cechase, looks like there is a good chance we will be joining you. This is the cruise that we are looking at. Before Christmas, our TA thought that we would enjoy HAL and the Ryndam (never sailed HAL before). I haven't had a very good feeling about that sailing at all and that is why I put down a deposit on Infinity. Until the other night when I found Silversea on a personal search on the net. Now I am thinking no, neither are right, it's Silversea that we want.

This is like looking for a car! LOL, when you look at too many cruises, you start getting confused. Because it's our 25th, and both my husband and I have health issues that make life a bit of a pain at times, I just want to make our trip special and memorable, and upgrade it more than we normally would, I just want to make the right decision.

Again, thanks so much for helping me make up my mind!!!

I hope you book it and have a wonderful time! Silversea is fabulous! Happy 25th!

Archived