Staton Island, NY

Skip-A-Roo

In the past some folks have stayed on Staten Island and it has suited them. The hotel has mixed reviews on Trip Advisor and is showing at $179 + tax for 4/14/10. What are the logistics for your trip? I see you are near me in Newton MA so this hotel would be a bit out of the way for you to get to.

I am researching for another family in our group in the Boston area.

They would be able to leave on Wed and stay over night for our Th sailing from Cape Liberty/Bayonne. They are trying to find the least expensive way to get to the port since our original plan of staying at the port parking is "out" with all the paint issues:mad:

Checking the different hotels any where around-NJ, NY they all seem to have different deals. Some have free shuttles, some free parking for so many nights etc... it is hard to decipher the best deal for our families.

OK - so no parking at the port. Look at http://www.trinityreservations.com for park cruise - look at the Wyndham ($121) and the Fairfield ($106). Folks on this forum have used both and have been satisfied. Then they need to arrange a car service like Black's to transport 4 folks w/luggage - about $50 each way. This gives them a hotel room and parking for 14 days for just a little more than the $190 to park at Cape Liberty. If you're driving down the day of the cruise and not parking at Cape Liberty, what are you doing with your car?

Could you clarify? 6 of you left in the group to get from Newton to Cape Liberty? And you can't leave on the 14th? Can you drive to NJ? How many cars? Why don't you book the hotel with the parking even if you don't use the hotel? Perhaps your friends could use the extra room for their kids and could register your car at the hotel for the 14 days parking. The Fairfield would be $106 + let's say $110 for the car service. That's $226 v. $190 to park at the port.

yes 6 left to transport - 4 adults, 2 kids left

Our group CAN'T leave on 14th

We COULD/CAN drive to NJ on 15th

1 minivan for the 6

To clarify, you are saying $110 (that is an estimate) for round trip for 6 to Cape Liberty from the hotel, that we wouldn't actually be staying in.

You are suggesting:we would have to try for "early registration" for the 15th at the hotel and use the "free parking" and have the car service pick us up at the hotel-correct?

Either way, it is less expensive :eek: than last years airline tickets to cruise out of FLA during April school vacation week...

Yes - that is sort of what I am suggesting. I'm trying to be creative here for you. You'd probably have to talk to the hotel. As I understand it the third family needs a place to stay and parking as well. Maybe you could work something out with them so that they could actually use the hotel room for their kids. The Fairfield is right next to exit 14 - you need to print out directions and a map - don't rely on GPS. The Wyndham further away down route 1. You'd have to price the car service for 6 - it could be more.

If you're driving down the morning of the cruise you need to get an early start. Mass Pike to Sturbridge, I84 to Hartford, I91 to exit 17 Wilbur Cross Parkway which turns into the Merritt Parkway and then the Hutchinson River Parkway. In New Rochelle stay left and get onto the Cross County Parkway to the Saw Mill River Parkway which turns into the Henry Hudson Parkway ($3 toll). This takes you to the GW Bridge where you get on I80 west to the NJ Turnpike. Follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel but don't get off - just stay on the turnpike to exit 14. This is a cars only route from the Wilbur Cross to the GW Bridge. The only bottleneck should be Hartford depending on what time you get there. With 6 people you will probably have to make multiple stops which will add time to the trip. Rein's Delicatessen at exit 65 on I84 is a good place to stop, particularly if you hit the Hartford area at rush hour.

Archived