Port days and no excursions

gail811

I will be on an 8 day (4 sea days) cruise next month with my mom (77) and sisters (both in their 40's). Both sisters have hit a rough patch financially and can only afford one excursion; we are doing that in Belize. I have never spent a day on ship while in port and I am looking for suggestions for things to do. My mom is not an avid reader, she would prefer to play slots ;), and I know that is not possible until we sail. Are there planned activities on port days? I am the family "cruise director" and want to make sure everyone has a great time in spite of financial limitations. Costa Rica and Panama will be our ports on board. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

You can find things to do.

Very often they will have trivia games.

No problem finding a chair to sit on and read.

Can go off the ship and take a walk. In Panama do not go to far as Colon is considered a dangerous city to walk around in.

In most ports it's not necessary to do any kind of excursion. Research the ports via our Ports of Call forums and think about just exploring a bit. Often there are museums and almost always shops about to spend some time checking out.

If nothing else getting off the ship lets you get some great pictures for your vessel in port!

For on board ideas... the pools are pretty much deserted! Hang out, enjoy a DOD and check the Capers for activities that the entertainment staff has planned.

:)

I will be on an 8 day (4 sea days) cruise next month with my mom (77) and sisters (both in their 40's). Both sisters have hit a rough patch financially and can only afford one excursion; we are doing that in Belize. I have never spent a day on ship while in port and I am looking for suggestions for things to do. My mom is not an avid reader, she would prefer to play slots ;), and I know that is not possible until we sail. Are there planned activities on port days? I am the family "cruise director" and want to make sure everyone has a great time in spite of financial limitations. Costa Rica and Panama will be our ports on board. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

We rarely use the ships excursions anymore. Usually, I read up on the boards here on cruise critics what to do in each port, than get off the ship and do it. Given your mother's age, I don't know if that's doable for you.

There are plenty of cabs and small buses at each port eager to drive you to local attractions, run private tours, or just drive you to the beach. In St. Marteen (or maybe it was St. John, I can't tell them apart), we took a $5 cab ride to the beach, rented chairs for $5 each per day and layed in the sun and were as content as could be. Then when we got to St. John (or St. Marteen :)), we shared a minivan/cab with about 5 people from our ship that we never met until we were in the parking lot, and we went to the beach on the other side of the island. It cost about $12 each, instead of the $80 that Carnival wanted. The cab driver even offered to come back at the end of the day to pick us up.

Limon and Colon are probably the only two ports i would say don't just go wander around in. There are neat straw markets at the pier that are ok - beyond that is not great. You really need to get out away from the port to see what these great places have to offer.

It's sad that you guys have to miss two incredible ports. Seeing the Panama Canal is up there on my "can't believe I was there" list. And Costa Rica is gorgeous with some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. The rainforest there is amazing.

My experience with port days where we stayed on the ship or didn't spend much time in port is that not much is planned. Maybe a late afternoon trivia game or a movie showing in a lounge somewhere. Since the vast majority of people are ashore they give the staff some time off and don't plan much. Lunch will be Lido buffet only but you will have the pools and hot tubs to yourself. The last time did this we mainly read, found a hot tub for a while, watched the goings on of the port for a while, and were going to play mini golf until it rained.

After reading the forums on those two ports, my concern is our personal safety in both. I am hoping we can squeeze in an excursion in Colon; I have the canal tour with Mario booked, but anticipate having to cancel due to the money issue. I've just never paid any attention on what goes on when we are off the ship so figured I had better ask and prepare accordingly!

Archived