Will Internet be blocked on my blackberry on the ship?

itzkelly

I just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless re: setting up a global plan during my 7-day cruise on the Conquest (leaving Sunday, woo hoo!). I have all the info re: cost of calls ($2.49/min), texts sent and received ($.50/$.05), pictures sent and received ($.50/$.25), etc. With the global plan, Verizon gives unlimited internet and email access; however, the verizon rep could not confirm if Carnival grants access to the internet on blackberries without paying for it. Does anyone have experience with their Verizon blackberry internet access on ship and at ports and how this works?

Thanks so much!!

Kelly :)

I just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless re: setting up a global plan during my 7-day cruise on the Conquest (leaving Sunday, woo hoo!). I have all the info re: cost of calls ($2.49/min), texts sent and received ($.50/$.05), pictures sent and received ($.50/$.25), etc. With the global plan, Verizon gives unlimited internet and email access; however, the verizon rep could not confirm if Carnival grants access to the internet on blackberries without paying for it. Does anyone have experience with their Verizon blackberry internet access on ship and at ports and how this works?

Thanks so much!!

Nope. You will need to take specific procedures to have it blocked if you want it to be. They are turning off your email accounts via the blackberry website and changing your data option to off or off when roaming.

You will have to pay out the bum for any internet type options when out of the country. Please remember not all blackberrys even work out of the country. Hopefully you have one that does. Mine does not and it was sold to me by a company store employee telling me it did. Not happy about that at all. There are plans that they offer for international internet. If you think you want to use it you might want to call and ask about one of these plans.

Thanks so much!!

Any variety of wireless device that would access the internet will need to set up an account and be charged the standard fee and rates...

In other words, you won't be able to use the WIFI aspect of your device to get on the web. There is an exception... the Carnival web site... it's accessible without a plan.

:)

I have verizon but not a blackberry. My phone doesn't have wifi, so I used the ships cellular signal to check facebook and e-mail.

It is $20 per megabyte, which is insanely expensive. I used just under 1 megabyte checking what I did, and that was very few times. Whatever your data plan is with Verizon will not apply on the ship.

The cellular data speed on the ship was mind numbingly slow.

Archived