What would you do?

matondo

A little over a year ago my dear MIL took us on a wonderful HAL cruise. She gave me a budget and I planned everything. She has offered to take us on another cruise but her budget is much more limited. So far the only thing I have found is with Carnival and NCL that is within her price point. If both of our children weren't currently in college we could offer to pay the difference and go HAL but it is just not possible. Do I stall and hope something comes up with HAL even though I doubt that would happen or abandon ship and sail with someone else?

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Where are you trying to sail, how long for, and in what cabin type?

If you provide a few more details, you might get some good responses.

Good luck finding your cruise. Something always comes up for us based on our budget...

:D:D:D

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Where are you trying to sail, how long for, and in what cabin type?

If you provide a few more details, you might get some good responses.

Good luck finding your cruise. Something always comes up for us based on our budget...

MIL wants a week like last time. Somewhere warm but not Eastern Caribbean as that was our last cruise. Oceanview as she has claustrophobia. Budget $450 per person before all the fees.

We also have a restriction for dates in that DH job does not allow him to travel certain times of the year.

With budget constraints of $450 pp I'm not sure you're going to find a HAL cruise even if it's only 4 days duration, especially in an oceanview.

Could you secretly add your funds to that budget, then book HAL?

Does that budget include airfare? Could you and spouse get an interior and MIL an OV? Except register MIL on the inside (so she pays less at 150%)? Or could the 3 of you share a cabin, and find a "3rd/4th person travels free" offer?

Here

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/SpecialOffers.action?destCode=C

shows a "Add another person to your stateroom for $129" in the Carib..... have a look. Might not be the ideal way to cruise, but better than NO cruise, y'know?

Alternatively, try calling HAL and telling them your budget. See what they come up with.

Just wanted to post a quick reminder about the Hotel Service Charge as well. Remember you'll need to factor in $11.00 per person per day. So that adds another $77 per person for a week long cruise. Not wanting to be a wet blanket... just want to make sure you have all the facts.

A little over a year ago my dear MIL took us on a wonderful HAL cruise. She gave me a budget and I planned everything. She has offered to take us on another cruise but her budget is much more limited. So far the only thing I have found is with Carnival and NCL that is within her price point. If both of our children weren't currently in college we could offer to pay the difference and go HAL but it is just not possible. Do I stall and hope something comes up with HAL even though I doubt that would happen or abandon ship and sail with someone else?

Perhaps if you gave us your MIL's budget and yours (I don't think your CC name is identifying) people could be more helpful and try to find something. How many people and staterooms are you trying to book and to where? What month? Typically the Caribbean is the least expensive. Are you trying to book 2 inside staterooms or what?

Ok, I see your budget is $450.00pp base. You can get an OV on Celebrity Century 4 or 5 night out of Miami for $399.00pp. Some dates are a bit less. We have been on that ship and will again in April as it fits our budget for an extra cruise with 2 teens in an inside. It should be closer to HAL than Carnival or NCL. Can't you add something to that budget? We do not like Celebrity as much as HAL, and of course this is a shortie cruise to Key West and either Grand Cayman or Cozumel. If I were in your place I would pay the difference and go on HAL.

If you truly prefer HAL, I agree with CowPrincess that 3 people in a cabin is the way to do this. I've cruised many times on HAL with 3 adults in a cabin (my parents and myself). The sofa bed is comfortable (I'm big and tall). The oceanview cabins work better for 3 people because of configuration than the balcony ones!

You don't mention your date restrictions, but I'd be zeroing in on Ryndam Western Caribbean and Westerdam Southern Caribbean.

I found Ryndam "A" deck cabins (cat F and EE) for 3 that fit your budget.

I found Westerdam Main deck cabins (cat D) for 3 that went $200 over your budget. I know you've said your own circumstances are tight, but would they extend to covering that amount?

Fannish, are you seeing US $ or Cdn $? 'Cuz if you're seeing Cdn $, the OP might be within budget for US $.

Nope, I'm pricing on an internet travel agency in US$.

Also, I was shopping best deals on dates the OP may not be able to travel.

Since others on the thread have raised the 3 share cabin idea, how about Mexico on the Oosterdam?

I'm seeing the March 6 sailing at 549 pp for the first 2 passegers, with 99 for the 3rd for an OV. This brings it to $1100 for the 3 before the fees and the flights. You got even get a balcony for $300 more.

I have no idea what flights are available to San Diego or how much they cost, but may be an option.

Can you give us a month you would like to travel?

Thank you so much for your input. We would need two cabins as MIL has a spouse. I forgot to mention that sorry. Two cabins with two adults in each cabin. The $450.00 is before anything. Last time we were able to take DD because HAL was offering $99 for the third person.

I did find a week long Princess but it left from San Juan and airfare was outrageous. Our out of pocket is always hotel for the night before the cruise, airfare, the daily service charge, tips and any extra excursions. DH will only stay in a balcony so we pay the difference for that.

So between DH and MIL I really have my hands full. I feel like saying why don't you plan it but they refuse so if I want to go on a cruise I have to work something out. I am going to need a vacation just to recover from planning for this thing.

It is so nice to have fellow CC'ers who are willing to offer helpful advice.

Matondo,

I think your best bet is to look for cruises past final payment that haven't sold well and are heavily discounted. Mexican Riviera cruises are a great bargain if you can travel fairly last minute.(within a month or two of booking)

I'm sorry to say that HAL is probably out of the budget, especially for an OV and balcony. But here are some sample prices for Mexico:

7 Day R/T Los Angeles Princess Sapphire in Oceanview Feb 27th and March 6th $429

Balcony was 629.

Found this on a well known discounter site online that sounds like take-out.

Archived