No expectations makes for a great FREEDOM cruise! My Story:

QTMichele

Lol I thought you had posted before, but I didn't go back through the posts to check. By the way, should I be offended that my review wasn't memorable, or delighted that you went through it twice. ;) kidding, of course. It's been over a year since I wrote it - you have an excuse to forget!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Brian! We had a wonderful cruise with few hiccups (and terrible weather!) - I can't wait to do it again. Oh, wait, I am in 40 some days with my husband and without my kids! :D I'd like to do a "LIVE" thread, but I just don't think my hubby would be too happy with me. Will definitely post when I return. :)

I am yet another who is going to THANK YOU for your wonderful report and pictures....pictures are always the best!!

We have our first sailing on Freedom this summer...but have been on the old Sovereign, Carnival Inspiration and Disney Wonder.

Paging through I noticed the discussion of the Disney cruise line. And yes, it is SO much MORE expensive, BUT the experience was worth every single dollar. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but, like others have mentioned, expensive. I actually planned that cruise for about 4 or 5 years...saved and got ourselves a Disney credit card. We are the type to pay for everything with our credit card (gas, groceries, etc...), but we DO pay it off every single month. In just a couple short years, we had accumulated about $800 in reward money on it...enough to pay for my son's fare on the Disney cruise.

anyway...I'm rambling...sorry :o If you (or anyone else) was interested in a detailed DCL review, here is my link to the DIS forum where I am also a member. TONS of pictures included and because the cruise was 'in the middle' of our vacation, the whole thing (without linking/jumping around) starts at POST #12: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1900228&highlight=bubba+s+mom

Thanks again for your wonderful review!! :)

Add me to the list of people who loved your review. Thanks for giving me an advance look at the Freedom and the Promenade cabins. We are going on the Freedom in July. We have balcony cabins with Promenade across from us for our 2 teens. We are excited and counting the days!! Loved all the photos too. We book waaaaay in advance for each cruise to give us time to save up the money. Your review makes me wish we were going tomorrow!!!

Michele Many thanks for the review and the pictures. It has brought back many memories of my children.( 5 of them ) now all grown and out of the nest. Would not trade the memories for any amount of money. I love your attitude that a cruise is what you make it. We will see you in March on the ALLURE.

John & Mary

ryansmoms - We would love to try Disney! The price for our family of 5 makes it quite a bit more expensive than it would "normally" be, but we may add it to our list one of these days. My kids love Disney World AND cruising so I'm a little afraid that once we go on a Disney cruise they'll expect Disney all the time! ;) I'm going to read your review a little later - have to put my son down for a nap first. Priorities, ya know? (Truth is - once he's sleeping, I'll be able to read your review without interruption! lol) OH... I really should look into the Disney credit card, but, at least right now, I have the Royal card. We put EVERYTHING on it and have already earned a free cruise, almost $500 in OBC, and have earned another 40,000 points since I redeemed the free cruise. I think this tells me that I spend way too much money! Perhaps I could go on MORE CRUISES if I'd start saving instead of spending?!

griffy - wish you could go tomorrow, and the next day and the next! You're going to love the Freedom! The window and the seating arrangements (2 love seats) really make the inside cabin very comfortable. A lot of people don't like the bed placement because it makes it harder to get into the room, but I liked it just fine. Positive attitude will carry you far. ;) Have a great time!!!

NYGirl - Oh, I hope you try Royal! Mariner of the Seas was our first cruise - she sold us right away. I would like to branch out and try other lines too just to see how things compare. Thank you for the compliment.

John & Mary - Thank you for your compliments. We too cherish our time with our kids - we know we will never get this time back. Having said that, I'm SO EXCITED to cruise with Jason (my husband) next month. It will be so nice to reconnect and RELAX. I'm a stay-at-home mom (love it!), and rarely take time for myself.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read my review. Happy cruising!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED your review! We're going (me and my boys) on Freedom in August. Your review makes me wish I could speed up time and go now. Sigh....relaxing in the sun. :D

Your kids are adorable. My youngest is 6 and I can't wait to show him the pictures. He'll get a kick out of them.

You and the boys will have a great time! Freedom is such a family friendly ship - I can't imagine anyone not finding something to enjoy. :) I'd love to hear how your cruise went once you get back.

Thanks for reading!

I definitely will. Don't be surprised if I follow your format too. :D I going to make my DS (13 y/o) take a camera with him to take pics of the teen areas and his friends, so I'll make sure to post those for us parents to see what REALLY goes on in the areas we're not allowed in. LOL!

Michelle,

Thank you for your thorough and uplifting review! I am taking my three kids (DD 11, DS 19 & 16) and my former in-laws on the FOS in 9 days. It will be our second cruise (NOS - 2 years ago) and I was getting discouraged by reading some of the reviews. Many were so negative. They were beginning to make me question our choice. I enjoyed reading all of your positive comments and seeing your awesome pictures. We also try to go with a positive attitude and no expectations and are just waiting to get out of all of this snow and subzero weather. Thank you again! I can't wait to board in another week!!

Debbie

Wow -- thanks for all the great information. My wife and I are travelling on this ship in April. Your attitude you set before the cruise hits the nail on the head: Head into a vacation knowing that at the least you're on vacation and whatever happens, happens.

Again, great review, great pictures and great info!

I definitely will. Don't be surprised if I follow your format too. :D I going to make my DS (13 y/o) take a camera with him to take pics of the teen areas and his friends, so I'll make sure to post those for us parents to see what REALLY goes on in the areas we're not allowed in. LOL!

Great idea for your son to take the AO photos! I'm sure it will be very helpful for others with kids. :) Post them on the Family boards too - they're always asking questions about Adventure Ocean. Oh, and feel free to use "my" format!

Michelle,

Thank you for your thorough and uplifting review! I am taking my three kids (DD 11, DS 19 & 16) and my former in-laws on the FOS in 9 days. It will be our second cruise (NOS - 2 years ago) and I was getting discouraged by reading some of the reviews. Many were so negative. They were beginning to make me question our choice. I enjoyed reading all of your positive comments and seeing your awesome pictures. We also try to go with a positive attitude and no expectations and are just waiting to get out of all of this snow and subzero weather. Thank you again! I can't wait to board in another week!!

Debbie

This is a GREAT ship for all of you (at least I think so!). There really is something to do for all these age ranges... the kids will love it! If it makes you feel any better - I'd go again in a heartbeat. My kids would too. I'm not sure what negative reviews/comments you've read, but take them with a grain of salt. Is the ship perfect? Nope, but it's pretty darn good. Have a wonderful cruise!

Wow -- thanks for all the great information. My wife and I are travelling on this ship in April. Your attitude you set before the cruise hits the nail on the head: Head into a vacation knowing that at the least you're on vacation and whatever happens, happens.

Again, great review, great pictures and great info!

Thanks! I try; although, I need to work on having this same kind of attitude at home. ;) Thanks for reading!

Loved your review. Thanks for sharing your delightful family and observations. You'll have to take the kids back on FOS after they introduce the DreamWorks Experience. Sorry you had some bad weather, but it sure didn't seem to ruin your sunny, positive attitude and outlook.

We're doing FOS on October 23 and will make the most of your suggestions. Happy cruising to you and all your family in the future.

Thanks Michele!

You did an awesome job on your review. I loved all of it- Except the Sharks! Augh- Wonder how often they are there?

We will be on FOS the end of MArch- Right out of dry dock. We will have my boys who will be 7 at the time. Can't wait!

Thanks again!

Loved your review. Thanks for sharing your delightful family and observations. You'll have to take the kids back on FOS after they introduce the DreamWorks Experience. Sorry you had some bad weather, but it sure didn't seem to ruin your sunny, positive attitude and outlook.

We're doing FOS on October 23 and will make the most of your suggestions. Happy cruising to you and all your family in the future.

You're not kidding! They will love all of the new additions (Cupcake Cupboard, DreamWorks, 3D Movies, Big Screen TV... oh yeah!). :D

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, and for the nice comments. :)

Thanks Michele!

You did an awesome job on your review. I loved all of it- Except the Sharks! Augh- Wonder how often they are there?

We will be on FOS the end of MArch- Right out of dry dock. We will have my boys who will be 7 at the time. Can't wait!

Thanks again!

Thank YOU for reading it! It was a lot of fun to write, and, even a year later, a lot of fun to re-live. Wish I could be back on... my kids do too! In fact, I just showed one of my DDs a picture from the Liberty of the new additions. She can't wait to try them out for herself! Your boys will LOVE Freedom, especially with all the new things she will offer. Have fun!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review. I know it is time consuming, but the pictures really add to it!

Great "middle" name! :D (the "QT" portion ;) ) Glad you enjoyed the review and pictures - I enjoyed putting everything together.

Great review Michele :)

Thanks, Curtis! It's over a year old - I'm surprise it's been unburied, but it's been fun re-living it again. :) Next up: Allure! (Hey, have you thought about booking your next cruise?)

Thank you for the great review! We're going the last week in Feb and are very excited especially after reading your review. I was getting worried with some of the negative review on the Freedom, but there's always people out there that like to complain. It was refreshing reading yours!

We're taking our 7 month old with us, thank you for your info on traveling with the baby. Can I ask what brand backpack did you use? Yours looked like it worked out really well, and I'd like to purchase the same one.

Thank you so much!

Thank you for the great review! We're going the last week in Feb and are very excited especially after reading your review. I was getting worried with some of the negative review on the Freedom, but there's always people out there that like to complain. It was refreshing reading yours!

We're taking our 7 month old with us, thank you for your info on traveling with the baby. Can I ask what brand backpack did you use? Yours looked like it worked out really well, and I'd like to purchase the same one.

Thank you so much!

Don't let those negative remarks get you down. Take them with a grain of salt knowing that nothing in life is perfect, but that we are responsible for making our own happiness. You're going to have a great time!

The backpack we have is 11 years old! ;) I would recommend a mid priced pack if you think you'll use it occasionally. If you're going to use it frequently, then go for a higher end pack ($125 and up'ish). I would also HIGHLY recommend the Ergo carrier. It is soooo much better for baby/toddler (no "crotch dangle") and more comfy for the wearer. These are around $100. Pricey? Yes, but well worth it in comfort. They have a website. One word of caution... When wearing in the tropics, the potential to get hot is great - choose a light weight fabric to help with this.

Regardless of what you bring, have a wonderful cruise, and cherish the time with your family. In return, you'll get life-long, priceless memories.

Archived