Aft Verandah Cabins Noordam

penk99

Looking at booking a VA or VB aft cabin on Noordam for an upcoming Caribbean cruise. We've had a very forward verandah once and enjoyed the experience but the rest of our cruises have been in midship rooms. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences they could share - pros and cons, etc. Thanks!

We stayed in cabin 5185 on the stern of the Noordam this past December and loved it. There was more movement then midship but it didn't bother us at all. The deck is larger, you have two wicker chairs and a table, and a chaise lounge. On the first day of the cruise we asked our room steward for another chaise and within a hour we had. There was nothing better than sitting reading a book and watching the wake. We definitely would book a stern cabin again. Also room service for breakfast sitting on the veranda and be mesmerized by the wake is the way to start the day. I can't wait for our next cruise!!

We were in 4178 in December. THe veranda is bigger and with the extra furniture. I spent alot of time out there. But when you were in port and facing the sun, it was too hot out there for me. At the moment I can't believe I was ever "too hot"! We did eat our room service breakfast out there. There seemed to be less storage though with the first closet being smaller for hanging clothes. My husband was bothered on some nights by vibrations. It was a quiet room and partly that was due to the fact we were at the end of the hall. It was nice to be fairly close to the elevators. We had the Dining room right under us. No problems with that.

We were in 5186 and we loved it. Watching the wake was wonderful and so relaxing. We also asked the steward for a chaise and he got one for us immediately. We had breaksfast out there every morning.

I would book that cabin again in a New York heartbeat.

We were in 5186 last February and 5188 the year before. Wonderful. This year, we booked the "cheap seats" on Deck 4....but still a verandah, a foot and a half deeper than the ones on the higher decks, port and starboard.

Several years ago we had cabin 7147 on the Zuiderdam, and absolutely loved it. The only problem was the size of the veranda, when it came to having a Pelican crash on to the deck on New Year's eve. We were told by the front desk that the bird, still alive, would need to be left there until we arrived in San Juan, where they could have animal contol folks get the bird off. As luck would have it, our cabin steward was able to convince the bird that it was time to suck it up, and get off the boat. Other than that, we absolutely loved the aft cabins. In fact, we're booked on the aft corner suite 7151 on our upcoming Southern 10 day cruise. Take the aft, and don't look back!:)

Most of us who have sailed in an aft cabin are never completely happy with anything else. That said, depending upon the deck you may feel a vibration...or not. You may have a little soot fall on your verandah...or not. If you have soot, wipe the railing and sit on a towel. That's all it takes! It is sheltered from the wind. That can be good or not.

We are booked in one of the new Rotterdam aft VA cabins - there don't seem to be aft corner suites from what I can tell from the deck plans - I'm just wondering if we too will have a chaise lounge - that would be wonderful - it's so nice to put your feet up and just enjoy the sun and the sea. Does anyone know if the furniture arrangement described in this thread are standard on all the aft VA cabins? If that's the case maybe we have a chance of having one too.

Thanks for any feedback.

yaya

I'm posting again in the hope that someone may have some feedback? Everything changes so quickly on the boards it's hard to keep track of all the threads.

Thanks,

yaya

Maybe we could broaden the question a bit. Which balconies have loungers? For my last cruise (Zuiderdam) I was in SA-7077 and there was no lounger on the balcony. I asked about it and was told there was insufficient room on the balcony - that it would be against fire regulations.

But what about the balconies at the stern? Surely the wrap-arounds have enough room? How about the other stern balconies (VA) - their different shape might permit a lounger?

In short, who gets a lounger and who doesn't?

Aboard the Zuiderdam in 7147, I remember having one lounge chair, two regular outdoor chairs, and a small cocktail table, large enough fo a Pelican to land on:eek:. On our aft corner suite aboard the Westerdam 7151, we had a regular dinner table, four chairs, three lounges including one of the old wooden lounges, and two wicker chairs with cushions, and two small round tables about the height of the lounges. That was seating for at least 9, and there was room for at least four more chairs around the corner of the balcony. There was enough room for a fair sized party!:D

• 3 weeks later...

I will be cruising on the Westerdam in May and have requested Suite SB 7151, I understand that the Suite is smaller than the regular SB Suites but has a large balcony, how much smaller is the suite and are there any downside to this location.

I will be cruising on the Westerdam in May and have requested Suite SB 7151, I understand that the Suite is smaller than the regular SB Suites but has a large balcony, how much smaller is the suite and are there any downside to this location.

MIKELS, I board Westerdam this Sunday and will be taking lots of photos for the HAL Staterooms/Cabins web site. I'll make sure to try and get photos and description for you.

Joanie

We just left 7151 last Sunday. While the cabin is smaller I believe there is the same amount of storage space and the bathroom is the same. The difference seems to be mostly in the space between the end of the bed and the coffee table & couch. Since there are just two of us that presented no problem at all. We asked to have one of the chairs removed to give us more floor space and that worked out well.

Now as to the verandah: That is the whole reason we book that suite. We absolutely love the space, and since it's a wrap around there is almost always some sun and some shade. We had quite a bit of wind last week and were still able to find comfortable space to enjoy.

Here are a couple of verandah pictures. The last one is of our supper the last evening. What a perfect way to end a cruise!

662050684_VerandahleavingMiami.jpg.1263703e38e382bcd9bddafeeb020398.jpg

1709475258_Timeintheshade.jpg.199b2e0b47b50b360a188ebe58939f26.jpg

2141527849_Morningview.jpg.d43b6687f4a7e82286daf2aeb1a86ad0.jpg

885035552_Copy(2)ofDinneronthedeck.jpg.88fda4e805d6a6c9f4f92448845476fd.jpg

We just left 7151 last Sunday. While the cabin is smaller I believe there is the same amount of storage space and the bathroom is the same. The difference seems to be mostly in the space between the end of the bed and the coffee table & couch. Since there are just two of us that presented no problem at all. We asked to have one of the chairs removed to give us more floor space and that worked out well.

Now as to the verandah: That is the whole reason we book that suite. We absolutely love the space, and since it's a wrap around there is almost always some sun and some shade. We had quite a bit of wind last week and were still able to find comfortable space to enjoy.

Here are a couple of verandah pictures. The last one is of our supper the last evening. What a perfect way to end a cruise!

Cheryl , I would also like to thank you for your pictures.We will be cruising for the first time in a corner aft (5191 Zuiderdam)

Your photos have certainly added to the excitement :) Having one of the chairs removed is a good tip .Thanks again

Colleen

• 1 month later...
Hi IRL JOANIE,

Thanks for the reply I look forward to your photo's of the Cabin.

Regards, Mikels

Mike, I am so sorry, but I was not able to take photos of any staterooms.I barely got any of my own before injuring myself while on the cruise:(

Essiesmom on the otherhand was able to get photos of around 14 staterooms in various categories on the Westerdam. All of EM's photos are on the web site, but unfortunately, there are none of SB 7151.

I am sorry Mike. I made you a promise and was unable to kewep it:o

Joanie

Cheryl,

Can you email me the photos of SB 7151 for the web site? And can I use your description of it for them, if you say yes?

Joanie

We were in 5186 last February and 5188 the year before. Wonderful. This year, we booked the "cheap seats" on Deck 4....but still a verandah, a foot and a half deeper than the ones on the higher decks, port and starboard.

Just to report in on the "pros and cons" of a cabin on the stern or a cabin aft of midship. We enjoyed our cabin toward the stern but on the port side this time on the Upper Promenade deck very much. Much more of a breeze on a Caribbean cruise than being on the stern. Just my opinion, of course.

The verandas on Deck 4 are about a foot and a half deeper than those above (starboard and port sides). I love being toward the stern and the elevators that take us right down to the dining room or right up to the Lido!

Looking at booking a VA or VB aft cabin on Noordam for an upcoming Caribbean cruise. We've had a very forward verandah once and enjoyed the experience but the rest of our cruises have been in midship rooms. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences they could share - pros and cons, etc. Thanks!

Since you've never had an aft cabin, I suggest you try it. You won't know otherwise if it's for you or not. As someone else in this thread pointed out, many people become such fans of aft cabins that they aren't ever again completely satisfied with anything else.

I may be in the minority. I had an aft cabin for the first time on the Noordam last year. A really nice cabin with a big balcony. Not a corner, but no obstruction and plenty of room.

Not only did my partner and I not fall in love with the aft cabin experience, we actually found it much less appealing than midship. Neither of us ever gets motion sickness but we did find the increased movement annoying. We didn't see what the big deal was about the wake (you can hear the whoosh of the ocean plenty well on any balcony). And we missed the in-port views of "stuff happening" (approaching and sailing away, facing other ships and waving at their pax, watching the gangway activity - especially the "late runners" as we like to call them, etc.) - too often the aft view was of, well, another ship's butt. :D Or nothing at all.

I thought we'd love the aft cabin experience. We didn't, but I'm glad we tried it anyway. You should too.

Since you've never had an aft cabin, I suggest you try it. You won't know otherwise if it's for you or not. As someone else in this thread pointed out, many people become such fans of aft cabins that they aren't ever again completely satisfied with anything else.

I may be in the minority. I had an aft cabin for the first time on the Noordam last year. A really nice cabin with a big balcony. Not a corner, but no obstruction and plenty of room.

Not only did my partner and I not fall in love with the aft cabin experience, we actually found it much less appealing than midship. Neither of us ever gets motion sickness but we did find the increased movement annoying. We didn't see what the big deal was about the wake (you can hear the whoosh of the ocean plenty well on any balcony). And we missed the in-port views of "stuff happening" (approaching and sailing away, facing other ships and waving at their pax, watching the gangway activity - especially the "late runners" as we like to call them, etc.) - too often the aft view was of, well, another ship's butt. :D Or nothing at all.

I thought we'd love the aft cabin experience. We didn't, but I'm glad we tried it anyway. You should too.

Good advice. I pretty much agree with your assessments. We've been on the Noordam the past 4 February's. Twice aft on the port side, and twice on the stern. And we much prefer the former...saving $$$ to boot! :D

Joanie,

I've emailed the pictures of the verandah(s) of cabin 7151 of the Westerdam. The interior pictures you already have of 8147 are better than any I took, and are the mirror image of the cabin itself.

If anyone wants them before Joanie has time to post them, email me at cosgood at comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
Mike, I am so sorry, but I was not able to take photos of any staterooms.I barely got any of my own before injuring myself while on the cruise:(

Essiesmom on the otherhand was able to get photos of around 14 staterooms in various categories on the Westerdam. All of EM's photos are on the web site, but unfortunately, there are none of SB 7151.

I am sorry Mike. I made you a promise and was unable to kewep it:o

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

Hope you are recovering well however thankyou for your original offer but I can sympathise with your situation.

Many Thanks,

Mike

Archived