Handicapped passenger: What to do at ports?

deezee28

I Will be taking my mom and mom-in-law on the Adventure OTS on April 25, 2010. We will be visiting the following ports (which I have never visited, except for St. Maarten):

Bridgetown, Barbados

Castries, St. Lucia

St. John's, Antigua

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

My mom is handicapped and will be traveling in a wheelchair. What activities or tours can I do that are wheelchair accessible (and not expensive)? She can walk a few steps with a cane and possibly walk up a few steps like to get on a tour bus, but not much else.

In 2008 I took my mom on her first cruise (this will be her second)... also on the AOS, but the ports were different. I had actually taken that same exact cruise 6 months earlier, therefore I was familiar with the ports and had a plan ahead of time. This time I'm not familiar with the ports and I'm in the dark so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

I hope you and you Moms have a terrific cruise!

I haven't much idea about the ship's tour offered here- perhaps another CC member can chime in. I can tell you thet the Cruzan people go above and beyond for seniors- all possible will be done to accomodate your mother's mobility issues.

I wish I could help you more...

I hope you and you Moms have a terrific cruise!

I haven't much idea about the ship's tour offered here- perhaps another CC member can chime in. I can tell you thet the Cruzan people go above and beyond for seniors- all possible will be done to accomodate your mother's mobility issues.

I wish I could help you more...

Thanks so much for your good wishes.

Would you know if there are any places of interests within walking distance of the port. I really don''t mind transporting my mom in her wheelchair, I just want to have a plan of what to do at each port.:)

Deezee28,

You can stroll/spin your way along the pierside to your right, is is nicely landscaped and has a paved path to make life easy. You can see the architecture on Strand Street, and stop in wherever you fancy. I do like the Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, they will open both front doors and help you, plus there is an elevator for the second floor- I just called and they were most welcoming. You can reach them at 340 772 2622.

Fort Frederik is also right at the end of the pier to your left, and has access for our friends in wheelchairs. I think it is a fun and interesting historical site to visit. They can be reached at 340 772 2021.

Most of the walkways are not smooth, they are usually the original Danish brick that came over as ballast. (I don't have any idea how the Cruzan girls manage them in 4 inch spike heels!) Skipthe sidewalk and you can carefully walk/ wheel right along King Street and see how life is lived here.

Hope that helps!

Deezee28,

You can stroll/spin your way along the pierside to your right, is is nicely landscaped and has a paved path to make life easy. You can see the architecture on Strand Street, and stop in wherever you fancy. I do like the Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, they will open both front doors and help you, plus there is an elevator for the second floor- I just called and they were most welcoming. You can reach them at 340 772 2622.

Fort Frederik is also right at the end of the pier to your left, and has access for our friends in wheelchairs. I think it is a fun and interesting historical site to visit. They can be reached at 340 772 2021.

Most of the walkways are not smooth, they are usually the original Danish brick that came over as ballast. (I don't have any idea how the Cruzan girls manage them in 4 inch spike heels!) Skipthe sidewalk and you can carefully walk/ wheel right along King Street and see how life is lived here.

Hope that helps!

That is a wealth of information......It is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!:)

Thank you from us too! My hubby isn't in a wheelchair, but can only walk short distances at a time, and very slowly, otherwise he has great pain in his legs (extremely poor circulation!). On our own, we can walk as slowly as we like, so we appreciate your suggestions. (The bumpy sidewalks also hurt his feet, so we'll do as you suggest about walking on the road!)

Another helpful site, with a whole page devoted to travellers with mobility issues, is gotstcroix.com. Under Things to Know, click Wheelchair Access.

Safe and enjoyable travels to all!

Thanks so much for the info...I'm going to check it out right away.

God Bless!!:)

Archived