Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

I did book a cruise that is supposed to be in Labadee on Jan. 22. I do not want to go, but since the cruise ship is going there anyway, I will go. I will just choose to stay on board that day. It is a personal decision. I have donated money and will continue to. I also have been on mission tours and helped out, but do not want to vacation there. Again, it is a personal decision.

From the article:

Goldstein, Royal Caribbean's president, met Thursday with former President Bill Clinton, the United Nations' special envoy to Haiti, and Dr. Paul Farmer, deputy special envoy, to discuss relief efforts to the island. Goldstein said Royal's efforts will evolve as the situation does.

Leslie Voltaire, Haiti's special envoy to the U.N., said in a statement, ``Given the terrible economic and social challenges we now face in Haiti, we welcome the continuation of the positive economic benefits that the cruise ship calls to Labadee contribute to our country.''

Wrote Goldstein in a blog posting, ``There were a lot of discussions about this, but in the end, Labadee is critical to Haiti's recovery and hundreds of people rely on Labadee for their livelihood. . . . Simply put, we cannot abandon Haiti now that they need us most.''

It was nice to see the effort and hom much RCCL is donating to the effort.

Will the Haitians make that distinction you mention? No, you're right, they do have other things on their minds... and I'm guessing that YOUR definition of being respectful isn't too high on their list right now either.......

You don't have to guess... I will show my respect for Hatians and RCCL by booking a now discounted cruise to Labadee. ;)

Msnbc just aired a report from RCCL saying they will be going to Labadee

tomorrow as scheduled and will be bring relief supplies.Also next Monday and Tues as scheduled and also with relief supplies.

My original thread was removed by cruise and this must be what was put in its place. I did not go to Labadee and have no intentions.

When we were in Labadee a few years back, a RCL employee (bartender) told me the following story.

The RCL employees enjoy working with the Haitian people and do what they can for them whenever possible knowing their poverty and living conditions.

So, certain times of the year, when there are no cruise ships scheduled, they invite the Haitian employees and their families to a full day of food, games, etc. at Labadee.

At one of these parties, a young man won a big screen high def TV. Real big. Problem is, his home has no electricity let alone cable TV. Not many other homes in his village do either.

So the RCL employees took it upon themselves to purchase and install a Satellite Dish and purchase a generator. In the evenings they hang the TV on the side of a bldg, power up the generator, and the entire town comes and watches TV outdoors together.

Just off the Freedom. We were tied up to the dock at Labadee on Tuesday, but Capt. Erick decided the weather was getting worse, so they off loaded a bunch cargo, and we split. The ship was roughly even with the epicenter, in the water between Cuba and Haiti around 5:00 PM. We were up in the Diamond Lounge when the news broke on CNN, and nobody felt anything different onboard from the quake. Pardon me if any of this was posted, but I'm at MCO and don't have the time to read all the threads.

Hi,

CNN is very interested interested in having a quick chat about your thoughts regarding Royal Caribbean's decision to dock in Haiti. Please email me at your earliest convenience if this is possible. Thanks!

Cristina.lynch@turner.com

We will be on the NOS and are scheduled to be in Labadee on Monday. I just can't see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a b-b-q lunch, and enjoying a cocktail while a 100 miles away, there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water. I believe it would be disrespectful for me to come to their country and party while this tragedy is unfolding. This is not your typical situation. I understand that Haiti, Jamaica, etc. are poor countries and have a very low standard of living. I have no problem vacationing there in normal circumstances and always try to do business with locals. However, this country and its people (including the local staff at Labadee) are experiencing a major diaster. While I appreciate RCI's efforts on behalf of the Haitan people, I think I will stay on the ship that day and donate my excursion money via a charge on my onboard account. It is interesting to be faced with this sort of moral/ethical dilemma with something as carefree as a cruise.

Hi,

CNN is very interested interested in having a quick chat about your thoughts regarding Royal Caribbean's decision to dock in Haiti. Please email me at your earliest convenience if this is possible. Thanks!

Cristina.lynch@turner.com

What's the spin? Let's get sensational. Why doesn't CNN speak with RCI about the assistance that cruiseline is bringing to Haiti in the way of monetary relief as well as transporting supplies? I'm sure the Miami bureau can handle that.

Or, would CNN rather portray the big, bad corporation bringing its customers to this ravaged island while they partake in food, drink and fun?

And I thought CNN was a "real" news organization. :confused:

Regardless of all the good and bad in the world, we'll always have CAVE people. Citizens Against Virtually Everything.

That is great! It sure seems that way. This thread has gone from focussing on Haiti to arguing over rather or not you should travel to poverty stricken countries. If you disagree with the ports of call... then simply don't go. Why argue about it? It seems to be about imposing your personal will on others.:eek:

..should all of the "fatcat" cruise companies pull out (Jamaica is a good example)

because of....well...because we don't want to rub our relative prosperity in their face?

Oh, and in the meantime take our money with us; and make those who depend on those

"fatcat" cruises for thier livelihood even MORE poverty stricken?

Folks, this isn't logical.

Mitch

There is a HUGE difference between visiting a place where poverty is prevalent and visiting a place where over 100,000 people have died and hundreds are dying everyday for lack of food, water and medical care.

To me, it's unconscionable to lay around on the beach indulging in all the food you want, all the drink you want while wholesale death is so close.

RCCL should skip this place. Send aid, give money but take the plump and happy tourists out for a day at sea.

Everytime RCL's calls at Labadee they are dropping off food and other supplies badly needed. Also, many of their crew members are from Haiti who probably lost families and everything as well.

RCL has pumped in a lot of money to expand the port to house the Oasis when it calls there. Every call brings money to the people on Labadee who sell their handicrafts to the passengers.

RCL is both an employer and a good source of income for its Haitian crew members and the crafts people on Labadee and is providing a valuable service by dropping off food and supplies every week. Supply planes are having a hard time getting into Haiti while aid by sea is able to make it into the country.

So instead of damning RCL for stopping at Labadee understand why they are doing it.

Your choice to not leave the ship while it is at Labadee, but it is a very good thing that RCL is continuing to call and drop off aid on each of its calls.

MARAPRINCE

Has anyone been there since the quake? I am going on the Liberty of Seas in 13 days and would prefer to have a day at sea. I can't imagine going around browsing and shopping when the vendor could have very well lost their whole family :(

Has anyone docked there and been able to enjoy themselves?

I'm not being a SmartA** - but have you read any of this extremely long post or any of the information posted by RCCL? By your remarks, I don't think so.

The staff and venders in Labadee probably lost some relatives in the quake. But the village of Cap Hatian is no where close to Port Au Prince and affected areas.

There is a HUGE difference between visiting a place where poverty is prevalent and visiting a place where over 100' date='000 people have died and hundreds are dying everyday for lack of food, water and medical care.

To me, it's unconscionable to lay around on the beach indulging in all the food you want, all the drink you want while wholesale death is so close.

RCCL should skip this place. Send aid, give money but take the plump and happy tourists out for a day at sea.[/quote']

So, you think instead of helping the community by providing jobs and opportunity to sell their products to tourists the people of Cap Hatian, which did not suffer an earthquake should have to resort to handouts for their livlihood?

Also for all the handwrenching folks on here- how long?

At what point should RCCL return to Labadee? 1 month? 6 months? next year? At what point will you no long have trouble eating your lunch (and is the thought of eating your lunch today a problem for you) on Labadee not be a problem?

For those who are advocating a day at sea - You will be happier with your lunch that day on shipboard if you are what, 5 miles off shore or is 30 better? At what point is it not going to bother you that you are on the ship having fun and enjoying the party while the folks who would normally be receiving a wages and selling items in the village make nothing, not to mention the lost port taxes for the government.

One more question - You are all in agreement that RCCL should continue with aid - so, when are they supposed to deliver food and water? Dead of night and be sure to be quiet so you aren't disturbed?

RCCL is in a tough spot and will get flamed either way. Unless there is a concern for safety, I think they should call on Labadee and let the passengers decide if they want to go onshore or stay on the ship. That way they can still transport the much needed supplies. We cannot assume that the people of Labadee don't want us there. People morn differently and sometime work is a good distraction for an otherwise bleak situation. Everyone still has options this way. There is no 'right' answer to this tragedy.

RCCL is in a tough spot and will get flamed either way. Unless there is a concern for safety, I think they should call on Labadee and let the passengers decide if they want to go onshore or stay on the ship. That way they can still transport the much needed supplies. We cannot assume that the people of Labadee don't want us there. People morn differently and sometime work is a good distraction for an otherwise bleak situation. Everyone still has options this way. There is no 'right' answer to this tragedy.

I have yet to visit Labadee, but all the other ports I've been to, I have yet been forced off of the ship. I hope you have been as fortunate.

The bad PR has started, just heard MSNBC flaming RCL for their decision to continue visiting Labadee.

Consider the source. Of course the media will take a negative spin on this... it's more sensational. You know, the big, bad corporation making money in the face of tragedy. And of course they will not tell all the facts, because that would ruin the story.

I wonder where the reporters are staying? Their shirts look nicely pressed on TV.

I have yet to visit Labadee, but all the other ports I've been to, I have yet been forced off of the ship. I hope you have been as fortunate.

Exactly! ;) And if you ever do get the chance.. you should choose to go onshore at Labadee. The people are so friendly and it is just beautiful.

Archived