Advice on Family Portrait on Ship

My parents, Daughter and myself have done it several times on our cruises. We have always done the freestyle white background. Ususally have everybody wearing dark bott0ms (navy or black). We have worn same Red Shirts, Same polo shirt with matching Mickey on them but different colors. One of the nicest colors that work for us was everybody wearing Light Blue polo shirts and Navy bottoms. We love these portraits and try to get one on every cruise we take together. We are trying to think what our next shirt color is going to be for Nov 2010. Some of the possibilities being tosses around are yellow, pink or peach polos.

Lisa

Where do you go, or who to you call, to make reservations for a portrait for a family of 15?

You can schedule it in the photo shop - we had a group of 46 one cruise (all friends) and we scheduled it so we didn't have to wait around forever.

Another time we only had 14 but scheduled it so everyone was there.:)

We did a lifestyle photo for the first time last Sept on the Freedom. I didn't really plan for what to wear, but it came out great: I was in a black top and khaki capris, DH was in a blue striped short sleeve shirt with khaki pants, and DD11 was in a top that had blue/aquas/white and black bermuda shorts.

We sail the Oasis this year, and I'm definitely planning on another lifestyle photo.

I love the idea of assigning each family group a different color.

We're hoping to do a family cruise for December 2010 and it will be my mom, my sister and BIL and their 2 girls (and by that time 1 SIL), and me, dh and our 2 sons.

I think that if it ends up happening, I'll make sure that each group has a different color for their T shirts. Mom in one color (since she's the head cheese now that dad is gone), then a color for my sister's family and another for ours.

We had a family portrait done a little over a year before my dad died. At that time, we only had my older son (who was actually about 8 weeks old in the picture). This time, that son will be almost 13, my younger son will be 8.5 and my sister's older daughter will be married. While we miss my dad something fierce, I think he'd be happy to know we were having another done with our current family dynamic (and taking care of my mom as well). Maybe we'll hang the new one next to the old one so they can be together.

Thanks for all of these great ideas.

Obviously, you should wear what you want to be in the picture. I'm not sure I understand the question. Would you wear something that you don't want in the picture? Is this a trick question? Am I on Candid Camera?

We are taking our grown children and our granddaughter on our first family cruise on Monarch in June. I would like to have a family portrait taken on the ship. It will be my husband and me (mid-50's) , three sons (31, 29, and 26) and my 9 yo granddaughter. My question is, what should we wear? The guys are resisting bringing suits and thinking of just wearing a tie on formal night (DH noticed how few men were in suits on formal night of our last cruise and now thinks packing suits is a waste). We could have a casual portrait taken, but I don't know what we should wear. Any suggestions for dressing for a group portrait while on board? We live in three different cities, so coordination will be tricky.

I've seen some really nice ones done and the black or white mats. You could all wear jeans and white oxford cloth shirts

casual.jpg

One quick thought... If you are doing a white background I would avoid having everyone wearing light colors. :) Wear jeans and more vivid colors so your don't blend into the white background.

Our family had everyone in jeans and shades of red. :)

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. ;)

We had our family portraits taken this fall by a very popular (and expensive :rolleyes:) photographer. (I won an auction for a family session! YAY for me!) Since we wanted a basic portrait, we didn't want to go too fancy, or too casual. This is what we did:

*we wore white shirts with light khaki bottoms or white dresses with a white background. Result - stunning. The skin tones just pop and the outfits blend in just enough to let everyone stand out, while still preserving the integrity of the outfits (they don't disappear into the background).

*we wore black, long sleeve t-shirts with dark jeans on a black background. We had the picture printed in black and white. Result - awesome!

You can see a scanned image in my avatar of the black on black. The image itself isn't great quality (el-cheap-o scanner of mine), but you'll get the point.

Archived