New to Cruising - Excursions

blitznbobs

Hi everyone,

I'm new to cruising and new to this site but I would like to ask those of you who are experienced at all this a question.

We are going on a Caribbean Cruise on 25th Feb and I was looking at the list of excursions available on the pre cruise planning site. I have heard that it is possible to get very similar excursions once the ship has arrived in port with local people. Is this true and would you advise going with the cruise line or trying to get a cheaper deal once we've arrived?

Thanking you in advance

Blitz

Hi everyone,

I'm new to cruising and new to this site but I would like to ask those of you who are experienced at all this a question.

We are going on a Caribbean Cruise on 25th Feb and I was looking at the list of excursions available on the pre cruise planning site. I have heard that it is possible to get very similar excursions once the ship has arrived in port with local people. Is this true and would you advise going with the cruise line or trying to get a cheaper deal once we've arrived?

Thanking you in advance

Blitz

I would advise getting a better deal but booking in advance.

Check the boards for the specific ports you are going to and you should find plenty of recommendations.

Or just post here where you are going and people will help.

Enjoy!

Mike

Two places to go get more info;

1. Join the Roll Call for your cruise. On the Boards menu, scroll down to Roll Calls and find Princess Roll Calls. Click on it. Click on your ship. Find the thread for your cruise and join in. There may be people who have found aprivatte tour and are looking for someone to join them and share the cost.

2. Ports of Call - This is further down the Boards menu. Fnd the ports you are going to.

We're going to the Caribbean - From memory Aruba, Turks and Cacos (sp?) Barbados, St Thomas, St Vincent, Santo Domingo, trinidad - but not necessarily in that order! (I just wanted somewhere hot and sunny TBH and my DH will probably be working the whole time -( Yes he is a seriously bad workaholic...) but I would like to see anything that's worth seeing.

Blitz

The cruise lines generally do a very good job vetting shore excursion operators. But with advance book work, one can usually obtain obtain as good or better (more individualized) excursions for less than the line offerings. However, this does take advanced homework and advanced booking. The offerings right off the pier are usually rushed and more hit or miss qualitatively. Simply getting to a good beach is much cheaper and easier simply taking taxis than going on a line offered 'beach break'.

It's a nice itinerary... Good horseback riding in Aruba, shopping in St. Thomas, geat beaches pretty much everywhere...

Just to note, the ship excursions are STILL with the same local companies and personnel it is just some of them contract with the various lines they also run the same tours for other lines or non cruise tourists.

Ship excursions are not run by cruiseline personnel, many of the excursion desk people have never even been on the excursions themselves.

Blitz, as suggested, check out the different ports on the Ports of Call boards. There is a "Forum Jump" at the bottom of this page for a quick way to access them. I scour those boards when planning our excursions, and have not been led astray.

Yes, it is up to you to get to the ship on time. I just plan excursions so that I am back about an hour before the ship sails. The tour operators do NOT want you to miss your ship. They will work together to make sure this doesn't happen, but anything can happen. The people who I have heard of missing the ship are usually shopping or have been to Carlos and Charlies too long! You need to do what you are comfortable with.

St. Thomas is an island that is very easy to do on your own. You can grab a cab at the pier and go to a beach, take the cab to Red Hook for the ferry over to St. John.

Have fun planning!

Archived