Century vs Galaxy

circee

I have sailed on both and love both. The biggest questions for you to decide are,

Do you want a Balcony? Century does not offer a balcony until you move up to a Suite.

Do you desire an indoor pool? Galaxy has an indoor pool, small but a place to dip your feet.

These ships are sisters with the Century built in 95 and the Galaxy in 96. So the layouts are Nearly identical.

As these two question wouldn't affect my choosing a ship, I prefer the Century.

I just came off the 11 day Galaxy and had a great time. I booked the Century 9 day for October. Take what you will from that

We usually do balconies but we were going to try the most economical route this time and, therefore, going inside. From reading the board I gathered that both ships were older, which is ok. We have not tried Celebrity so what we're looking for is what Celebrity allegedly does best, atmosphere, service, food, etc. We would opt to sit in the hot tub over a pool so that is not a problem either. It sounds like you lean toward the Century. Your information was helpful. Thanks.

Well we just came off Century on a 6-night Western Carribbean run and had a blast. It would have been nice to have a balcony...which as observed you can only get with a suite. Whereas, our very first cruise was on Galaxy to Alaska in July, 1999 and we had a balcony. Believe me when I say having a balcony on the Alaska run was well worth the extra money spent.

We had a concierge class stateroom on Celebrity and really enjoyed the upgraded amenities. But, for only a 6-night run to Georgetown, Grand Caymen, Cozumel and Key West.....well a balcony wasn't really necessary. However, on a longer cruise like you are anticipating.....I think a balcony on Galaxy might be better than a concierge class stateroom on Century.

Really the only thing that would have been nice to have a balcony on Century would be the breakfasts. We were in the very first concierge class stateroom and would not have to worry about smoke coming from any other balcony. But, as no balcony exists....not a problem. Still, having the scrumptuous concierge class breakfasts served out on a balcony would have been a plus.

Now, your only concern with a balcony on Galaxy is that you do get to be outdoors....but, so does everybody else around you. So, if you are not smoking tolerant.....the fellow down three balconies from you with his stoagie can cause a nuisance. Or, if folks are smoking cigarettes on either side of you then that can be bad also. I suppose if you opt for a balcony on Galaxy you should try for one very high up and as forward as possible. This may help you eliminate unwanted cigarette or stoagie smoke blowing in the winds.

Another thing about the balcony on Galaxy....unless they have upgraded them a bit....there isn't a whole lot of privacy between you and the other balconies. So, if your neighbor is outside intent on talking with all their loved ones and friends back in ......(po donk)....then you might get a blow by blow description for the folks back home of how great the cruise is going...or not.

Now, with cell phone useage becoming more commen on cruises......beware! Some folks just can't cut the cell phone umbilical cord. You know the kind.....supposed to be on a "relaxing" vacation....but, conducting business without missing a beat.

So, if I were on a longer cruise that was island intensive or to someplace with spectacular scenary like Alaska I would opt to get a balcony....but I'd try to get it away from the smokers and cell phone users....which might be almost impossible.

Frankly, it would be a much better....and safer cruise all around if Celebrity limited smoking to certain portions of the deck and cell phone useage in certain areas. I mean they really pride themselves in cutting way down on general announcements...which is very nice. But, having someone on either side of your balcony puffing up a storm or non-stop chatter on a cell phone has got to be the most horrible fate imaginable for your balcony experience. Then, again if you are smokers and cell phone chatterers.....you are in like Flynn.....providing you are a "courteous" smoker and "courteous" cell phone user for those in other balconies around you.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Cyberhankster

I was on Century for a b2b 11/27 and 12/4. This was my 3rd time on her. I found the crew to not be very happy and the overall experience less than what I have come to expect from X. I would take the Galaxy. Century may be better after a month but I wouldn't count on it!

Tuggers,

I sure the less than happy attitude you felt may have come from the bad CDC score. They were all probably putting in a lot of hard hour getting ready for the December inspection.

With the ship passing with flying colors, I'm sure the mood has lighted up.

So how did you like Robin as ACD? Sailed with him last year on the Mercury.

My experience was bad enough that I canceled my other X cruises. I sure will not be on the Century anytime soon. And as I was on 2 weeks and the second was worse than the first I'm not sure it has 'lightened up' any.

Dorwin (asst matre d') lied to us more than once and kept getting caught at it. Amanda the CCH was down right rude, etc., etc. People were trying to get flights to get off. I would say it was pretty bad!

After my 2 week Zenith (had to take it too late for a refund) I am now booking some X. Zenith was like a breath of fresh air! Everything a cruise should be.

I know it's JMO, but you won't catch me on Century anytime soon.

My experience was bad enough that I canceled my other X cruises. I sure will not be on the Century anytime soon. And as I was on 2 weeks and the second was worse than the first I'm not sure it has 'lightened up' any.

Dorwin (asst matre d') lied to us more than once and kept getting caught at it. Amanda the CCH was down right rude, etc., etc. People were trying to get flights to get off. I would say it was pretty bad!

I know it's JMO, but you won't catch me on Century anytime soon.

We were on same trip as Cyber Jan 2 (3d time on Century) and had usual great Celeb experience. Waiter Dervis was top notch, Asst'd maitre 'd only told the whole truth, and TIFFANY, our CChostess was energetic and pleasant. Food had enough 'hits' to keep us happy. Just another humble opinion.

Tiffany got on 12/4 as she was taking over for Amanda. I agree she was great. Had no problems whatsoever with her!

Glad you had no trouble with your dining arra gements. We sure did. A table for ten seemed to be a real problem for them. Also there were several times meat had to sent back as it was impossible to cut. Happened on lamb, filet and steaks I believe. It didn't happen to me, but it did happen to more than one at my table.

And it is just my opinion but when I have a real bummer of an experience it sets me back a little and it takes me time to want to subject myself to that experience again. So for now, I will sail other X ships but not Century. Not for a while.

Tuggers - sorry for the X lapses on your trip. We hade table for 2 and our waiter I think had max table-6, so I think your'e right that the 10-table didn't help. The sirloin steak we had was just average and was the 'low point' among our meals. However, the Blue Mountain cream coffeepot dessert was best ever on 8 X trips.

Not in reference to you, but in general I think X's 'rep' for food experience really raises expectations. We tried HAL last year and while Zaandam was fine ship, the main DR food was a full step below X (HAL buffet pretty good). TWICE filets were late (full 10 mins) being served compared to other entrees (for us and nearby tables) and one time they had an 'odd' consistency - like they may not have been fully thawed before cooking. No 'extra mile' service effort. My wife has sworn off HAL.

I have had the opportunity to cruise on both the Century(4 times)and the Galaxy(2 times). The Century was built as a flagship for Celebrity and therefore more effort was placed into the details. The dining room on Century is probably still the most elegant of any Celebrity ship. Century is also slightly smaller than Galaxy and therefore easier to get around. I always enjoy the short walk from the breakfast buffet out to the back deck to enjoy my breakfast with friends. Some how we seem to lose people on the Galaxy when they have to walk through the indoor pool area to get from the buffet to the back deck. Both are wonderful ships, but I still prefer the Century.

I know that there are a lot of fellow cc'ers that love the Century, but between the 2 I would sail the Galaxy. Not that I would turn down a cruise on either but to me the Galaxy had a friendlier crew and was in better condition than the Century. The Century's entertainment wasn't on par with Galaxy. The Century's cruise director was top notch. We sailed the Galaxy in Jan 04 and the Century in Oct 04.

Archived