braemar 4 march 2010

sealegs57

In response to your recent post, tickets are usually despatched around 2 weeks before the date of departure. Cruise theme nights for a Caribbean cruise are usually British night, Tropical night, Country and Western night along with 3 formal nights.

Regards Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sealegs 57

We will be joining you on the Braemar on 4th March also flying from Manchester. Trying to decide what to do on 5th stuck between the Crane and something closer to the ship. Its not long now counting the days see you at the airport or on the ship we will be the exited ones!!:D:D:D

Hi there - we've booked an excursion with FO - Scenic barbados and beach escape but are wondering whether its best to do your own thing - is the beach close by where the turtles are - any advice on this would be great. only 25 BIg Sleeps to go now (not that we're counting)!!:cool::cool::)

We stayed at the Tamarind cove in April its about a 30min taxi ride from bridgetown. There was a guy called Rodney at the beach to the left who took us out to the turtles in his glass bottom boat. We swan with the turtles and then snorkled over the shipwrek it was absolutly fabulous fish all around me one took a nip of my finger:cool:.I think we payed about 50us$ the trip was about 2hrs. The Tamarind cove doesn't do day passs but they do let people in and told us we can go back use the pool,loungers etc at no charge just pay for drinks.You would have to get there by 09.30 as Rodney goes out before the cats get there it looked really busy when they were all there.We really are torn what to do as altough we've been to Barbados 4 times we have never made it to Cranes beach its supposed to be the best there is. If there is anything else please let me know see you there. Soon be 24 sleeps to go

We are booked on the Braemar for a Carribean Cruise on April 1st (!). As first time cruisers, could you advise what the men's dress code is for the NON formal nights and the NON theme nights. Is it jacket? tie? lounge suit? polo shirt? smart dark denims? Any suggestionms for the ladies?

This will be our first time with Fred but as far as I know you can get away without jacket and tie on casual nights but informal needs a jacket and tie. I am taking a couple of long dresses for formal night plus a couple of cocktail dresses along with a pair of black trousers and some nice tops.

Hope this helps

Hi Sealegs57 We havent recieved our tickets yet hope they come soon hubby's waiting for the postman everyday now:D:D I always cross pack in the belief that they may loose one case but not two!! Always put shoes in the hand luggage to try and save some weight, can't wait to go need some R&R:)

Thats not a bad idea Dartmoordan - however it might just lead to a domestic in our case :eek: hubby's always complaining that I take too much but thats what we do isn't it?!! only 2 weeks now - are you staying at the airport the night before?

Hi Sealegs57 No tickets for us yet:eek: Yes we have booked into the raddison so we can just walk through to the terminal in the morning. They take your car and return it for you on the day of your return so it should be hassle free. Maybe see you in the bar for a precruise drink.

Gerri

Hey Dartmoordan - hope your tickets have arrived by now! We're only 45 minutes away from airport so driving up early (very)Thursday morning and car being picked up from the terminal door (we hope!!). Can't believe 2 weeks from now we'll be basking in the Caribbean sunshine and the miserable British winter will be a dim and distant memory:):)

Hey Dartmoordan- good news about your tickets!:) Your spare room sounds like ours! only 3 more days in work for me so then can get down to some serious packing and maybe abit more retail therapy!;) 8 more big sleeps (can't count the night before - will be tooooooooooooo excited) Bring it on!:D

Hi Dartmoordan - Had a trial pack today and a weigh in - 23 Kgs so quite happy with that!:) Hope you managed to get your shoes. Think I've got most things now- just got to stock the fridge freezer for NO 2 son (and read him the riot act!:p) Have a safe and speedy journey to Manchester-see you soon - Margy:D:D:D

Hi I just received this detailed clear response from FO regarding gents evening wear for the Carribean.

Gents can where casual trousers (chino type) and a collared shirt / polo for the Elegant Casual evenings.

A tie is not required for the Elegant Casual evenings.

A jacket would not be required for the Elegant Casual evenings.

Very smart dark denims would be fine for the Elegant Casual evenings.

The welcome and farewell cocktail parties will take place on formal nights. For the formal nights we recommend that gentlemen wear a dinner jacket or tuxedo. The minimum requirement would be a dark suit. That saved a lot of unnecessary expense.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for info Young Seadog. "All our bags are packed and we're ready to go - leaving on a jet plane!" TOMORROW!

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!:):):)

Did you enjoy your cruise we did, we had a fantastic time only downside were the flights.:D:D:D

Hello - there are about 8 washing machines and the same number of tumble driers, as well as 2 ironing boards and obviously irons! You need a token (£2.00 from reception which is added to your cabin bill) for each load you want to do. Driers are free as are the ironing facilities. The driers are very quick! Almost wanted to pack one up and take it home with me ha ha!

Not having sailed on Braemar but due to in July,can you tell me about the laundry room,I,ve got a cabin near it,does it have just ironing boards or are there washing machines as well.

Thanks.:)

Its as Glitterbabe describes although they do have a laundry service for around £2.50 a tee shirt to around £4 a dress we used it as we £10 per week free with our cabin have to say it was prompt and beautifuly ironed.

You will enjoy Braemar we loved it I have answered a post from you in a different forum. Hope you have a fabulous time:):)

Did you enjoy your cruise we did, we had a fantastic time only downside were the flights.:D:D:D

Hi dartmoordan

WE had amazing time - can't believe we didn't bump into you! Everyone was so friendly - we made some lovely friends. I'll never forget sailing from St Lucia into the sunset, dancing to the steel band and watching the dolphins following our ship! Don't know about you but it took us a few days to get over the cruise/jet lag - felt really light headed! Now I've caught up with everyone - the washing and ironing is done I'm ready to go back! But not before I have lost the pounds gained from all that lovely food! Hope you stayed well! Enjoy the summer:):)

Its as Glitterbabe describes although they do have a laundry service for around £2.50 a tee shirt to around £4 a dress we used it as we £10 per week free with our cabin have to say it was prompt and beautifuly ironed.

You will enjoy Braemar we loved it I have answered a post from you in a different forum. Hope you have a fabulous time:):)

Thanks both for reply,the reason I asked,I,m in the cabin next door to the laundry and wondered really about noise and heat,having read in the Berlitz guide the ship only had an ironing room.

Archived