Bejing - tipping (China Highlights)

Jade13

We have a full day tour on our one day in Bejing, going to both the Great Wall and Forbidden City, driveby Hutung and Olympic venues. Assuming the guide and driver are good, how much should we plan to tip? It will be just the two of us for 10-11 hours.

Our hotel, pick-up and tour, including lunch and 2 drinks is pre-paid and we are trying to figure how much more CNY we will need besides the minimum we need to take out from Bank of America ($100.00 worth). We just need to get a taxi to the airport in the morning but we are staying at the Crowne Plaza Bejing Airport.

Hi Jade,

Tipping is not the norm in China, and tipping for taxis is never needed. The driver will always give you your change back, and never keep the hand held out for something back. Btw, always get a metered cab, never take a non-metered cab. Also, be sure the driver flips the meter when you start (and a metered driver always will.)

For organized tours, it may be that they have a bucket out, or otherwise ask for this, but I probably wouldn't tip in this case.

On general tipping in China, we've hired independent tours in the past (people with their own cars, doing this as a second job, which may be what you've got) and have tipped them very well, but that certainly wasn't expected on their part nor a normal practice. In these cases, we just had some great people helping us and wanted to do something special (and in some cases we still remain in contact with them today.)

But first we negotiated the price, everything is negotiable, then at the end of the tour helped them out more. If you didn't negotiate the price but instead paid a flat rate, then I probably wouldn't tip or would tip a small amount. And remember, if you tip by US standards, the tip is huge.

Restaurants in some cases will add a tip, but otherwise tipping is not expected.

I hope that helps, and you'll love Beijing, and the Great Wall is amazing. I hope you get a sunny day, but any day there is fantastic.

-Dave

Hi Jade,

Tipping is not the norm in China, and tipping for taxis is never needed. The driver will always give you your change back, and never keep the hand held out for something back. Btw, always get a metered cab, never take a non-metered cab. Also, be sure the driver flips the meter when you start (and a metered driver always will.)

For organized tours, it may be that they have a bucket out, or otherwise ask for this, but I probably wouldn't tip in this case.

On general tipping in China, we've hired independent tours in the past (people with their own cars, doing this as a second job, which may be what you've got) and have tipped them very well, but that certainly wasn't expected on their part nor a normal practice. In these cases, we just had some great people helping us and wanted to do something special (and in some cases we still remain in contact with them today.)

But first we negotiated the price, everything is negotiable, then at the end of the tour helped them out more. If you didn't negotiate the price but instead paid a flat rate, then I probably wouldn't tip or would tip a small amount. And remember, if you tip by US standards, the tip is huge.

Restaurants in some cases will add a tip, but otherwise tipping is not expected.

I hope that helps, and you'll love Beijing, and the Great Wall is amazing. I hope you get a sunny day, but any day there is fantastic.

-Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your info. The issue in this case is that unlike anywhere we have been in Europe or South America where we have paid in cash at the end of the tour, this tour operator required payment in advance. Because they were recommended very highly on CC we did but it is not the norm for us on a day tour. I just figured it was one less thing to deal with on our first day abroad. The tour price includes lunch and drinks and hotel includes shuttle pick-up there but not back because we need to be at the airport at 6:00am and that is when their service begins.

So, although I did not think tipping was the norm thought it would be awkward to leave the guide and driver and not hand them anything. So, was trying to figure out what to do and how much CNY to purchase.

Also, to anyone who has used China Highlights, right now they are the most disorganized of every tour operator that I am using because this tour is 2 weeks away and all I have received was my credit card payment confirmation, no voucher. The Sales person told me to "take it easy" a couple of weeks ago when I asked for confirmation on itinerary, guide and so forth and told me they would send it as soon as the guide was confirmed. I am now going to type up the itinerary myself today and email it to this Sales Rep in China for confirmation and request the name of the guide and so forth.

What we've done in the past is to talk to the hotel once there, to get a driver to take us around. Many of the staff will do so on their days off. In Beijing, we had a girl chase us around as so many do, to give us a tour. We told her no, but later sought her out. She was incredible as a guide, and impressive as a person. She was finishing up medical school (she is now a doctor,) giving tours on the side, and she and her brother drove us around for a day, then took us to the most remote but unbelievable restaurant I've ever been too, roast duck has never been so good. She emains a friend to today.

You are probably fine with your tour, in spite of the unsettling way they managed the transaction. Even with the pushiest street vendors, I've found that once you get past the "ain't buying" they are very personable, and simply like the rest of the world, trying to find a way to make all of the ends meet. In this case, it may be a foreign way to do this (with some gruff conversation in the middle) but I'll bet you're fine.

Tipping isn't expected nor the norm, but to provide a figure, I'd recommend if the person does a super job, then maybe 50Y -75Y as a tip, which is roughly $9-$12. I think we have paid a base rate of 50 - 75 USD for a full day guide with car, and I'm basing that on that rate, and for someone who went very far and above what we expected. If I felt rushed, or that the tour was mediocre, or even simply good, I would likely not tip, again because tipping just isn't the norm.

You will absolutely love Beijing, and the Forbidden City, as is the Great Wall, are very inspiring. Expect crowds, expect smog, and expect to be in awe.

We are in Beijing now- and using China Highlights. Very impressed with the tours and especially Ginger, our guide. Everything was handled very professionally and I would highly recommend their services. Couldn't be happier!!

We are in Beijing now- and using China Highlights. Very impressed with the tours and especially Ginger, our guide. Everything was handled very professionally and I would highly recommend their services. Couldn't be happier!!

I see you finally made it out of the US.

Our guide is Henry Wang and despite the fact that paperwork (I finally received) said to contact him the day before), I emailed back and they have told him to pick us up at 7:00am to head to The Great Wall.

We are in Hong Kong now and miss Ginger our Beijing guide. What a treasure. We have had 2 tours in HK and no one to match her for enthusiasm and personality.

I hope Henry is as good. we asked for someone with a lot of energy as we only have one day. Sorry to hear that Hong Kong is not working out as well.

Did you (or anyone else) us the high speed train from the airport? Our friend in HK is recommending it over the Deluxe Shuttle bus to Kowloon.

Archived