Advice please - Difference in Balcony Rooms

happytravellers2

We are planning our first cruise for January 2011. The choice at present looks likely to be Eurodam, and we would like a balcony room.

I have seen a few comments about preferences between rooms and would welcome some advice and comments if there are better rooms or areas to avoid

We are planning our first cruise for January 2011. The choice at present looks likely to be Eurodam, and we would like a balcony room.

I have seen a few comments about preferences between rooms and would welcome some advice and comments if there are better rooms or areas to avoid

Just sailed on the Eurodam on 12/05/09.

Avoid the balcony that the railing is steel not glass. You can not see anything while seated unless you have a glass rail.

Balcony cabins (outside) have more room than inside plus you get a tub/shower combination in lieu of just a shower.

We try to get a cabin near midship (more stable) but not next to the elevators.

May sure you observe what deck is above the cabin you select. We prefer to have a cabin above us and below. Cabins under the Lido or over the showrooms; there maybe a noise issue

We had a VB on the Westerdam in 2008 and a VA on the Zuiderdam last week. Both times we did the VF guarantee. Now the two rooms were almost identical, except for the pictures on the walls.

I actually preferred the VB room though, as it was toward the front of the ship, which would have been very convenient for going out on the public deck/balcony for the Panama canal transit through the first set of locks.

Our VA room was 8066 and right by the glass elevator. On our balcony we could see people flying by on the elevator. No big problem as even my pajamas are really lounge wear, and so I was well covered, but I prefer more of a sense of privacy. Plus that balcony was slightly smaller as a wedge of it was cut off-the elevator took that area.

We had a VD behind the aft elevators and there was no noise whatsoever. We liked the location so much that while onboard we booked the Nieuw Amsterdam in a cabin similar to the one we had in the Zuiderdam. VD's balconies are deeper than the other V balconies.

Archived