Orca or Harv and Marv

fedorad

:oWe are planning a whale watching trip also, but then after reading several posts, I also have a question. We are very interested in a fishing trip also & wondered if it would be economical to just combine the two? or am I being cheap & we're gonna miss something!????

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Harv & Marv. Jay & Eileen have this down to a perfect Whale Watching Tour. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. They have small 6 passenger boats and more knowledge then you can possible take in. I am sure Orca is a great Company too but I would never use anybody other then Harv & Marv. Please call Eileen and she will answer any of your questions.

We have just booked Harv and Marv for our July cruise. Eileen responded via e-mail very quickly and gave comprehensive instructione re. pick up on the day and payment details. I don't think you'll go wrong with them.

We did Harv and Marv last May while sailing on the Golden. It was a great experience. The boat was very comfortable. They were super nice and very professional. All the whales we saw were just a bonus. Highly recommend them.

They also stop at the glacier on the way back to the boat and give a nice guided tour of Juneau.

At the risk of repeating everything that has been said already - GO WITH HARV AND MARV'S!!! We went with them in 2008 and are booked the first week of June this year. Wonderful people! So informative and enthusiastic! The boat is very comfortable and offers unparallel water views from every spot - even inside the cabin. They love what they do - and it shows! Personalized to what you want to see! Highly recommended! Orca, I hear though we haven't gone with them, has a larger boat and therefore, more people. We didn't want that - we like to get away from the crowds in port and don't want to fight for viewing space. From your original post, it appears you want the same. H&M it is!;)

Which would you prefer for whale watching? I will me in Juneau mid-May. I am looking for a smaller boat and a guide with a lot of knowledge. I am cruising Princess and am in my early 30's. Thanks!
It is somewhat like the story of Goldilocks with the big papa bear, the medium sized mama bear, and the tiny little baby bear.

Some love the small 6-pack boats (baby bear) with few people and personalized attention, not minding that their viewing is restricted to one low deck. Harv and Marv have a very devoted following, as you can see from the previous posts.

Others prefer the more roomy medium sized (mama bear) Orca boats which provide viewing from both upper and lower decks. For whale watching, many photographers want that upper deck to get the views and camera angles from above. Orca has an informative guide on board who provides the commentary and answers passenger questions, leaving the captain free to concentrate on driving the boat and communicating with other boats in the area without distraction.

The naturalists from the cruise ships can often be found on the Orca boat whale watching with Captain Larry when their ship is docked in Juneau. Questions from passengers are highly encouraged, although it is not as personalized an experience as you get on the little 6-pack boats. Orca tends to attract passengers who are primarily interested in the wildlife and the area, not so much about personal attention or the owner's family.

Both companies will take you to Mendenhall Glacier or pick you up there upon request.

Then there are passengers who choose to stick with the much larger, more stable (papa bear) boats used by the cruise ship's tours. Those boats also have a guide on board and bigger multi-level viewing decks. Families with children, as well as others, book them to get more comfortable seating and more room to move about. So even in your age group, some prefer them if traveling with young children. The main complaint about those big boats is that they are often packed to capacity with people jostling for space at the rail whenever wildlife is spotted. On the other hand, at the times when they go out half empty they have the most viewing space of all.

All the whale watching boats provide viewing from inside the cabin as well as out on deck. It is a matter of choosing the best fit for you.

Orca has an informative guide on board who provides the commentary and answers passenger questions, leaving the captain free to concentrate on driving the boat and communicating with other boats in the area without distraction.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean with this comment but I have to totally disagree. Jay from Harv & Marv is not only an excellent Captain (as far as driving the boat) but his knowledge is amazing and seems to attract the whales with his non threatening small boats. He was never distracted by the passengers, there's only 6 of us, you know. The small boats give you the feeling that you are in the water with the whales instead of being so high up. I loved that I could ride in the front of the boat and take pictures without having to hang over people to see the whales or to take pictures. The advantage of a small boat is that you can ask as many questions as you want and get each of them answered, not true on larger whale watching boats.

I'm with you, CalMom! Our choice of Harv and Marv had nothing to do with our quest for "personal attention or the owner's family" as stated above. :rolleyes: That missed the mark totally! Rather we wanted the small boat experience (and I believe the OP does as well, given the statement "I am looking for a smaller boat with a guide with a lot of knowledge."), and the lack of any kind of crowds. That is what H&M provides...in my humble opinion. Different strokes for different folks, and I'm sure the OP is smart enough to figure out just what type of experience they are seeking for their family. I'm sure Orca provides a wonderful whale watching experience, I've heard nothing but raves on this board. As well, I've heard great things about the ship's excursions, BUT if the OP specifically asks for recommendations for a smaller boat and informed guide, well, to me its a no-brainer. OP - do what is right for you. Check out each provider's website, peruse these boards and read the comments posted, then decide for yourself what is right for you. Still, my recommendation would be for "baby bear" but hey, thats just me!;)

I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises. Larry has been in whale watching far longer, which makes his tours, very informative. As mentioned, ship naturalists are on his boats. He is involved in research.

The above post, about the "cpt" attracting the whales is "well"??? Interesting???

Since no one has spoken up for cruise line tours I would just like to say something. We have been on two trips with Allen Marine in Juneau and both trips were wonderful. We had 17 people going and it was easier for people to reserve on line and for their on board account to be charged. Not everyone is wanting to make independent reservations.

Allen Marine has very nice big boats with two floors for viewing. They have refreshments aboard and have a naturalist who is very knowledgable. Both trips were filled with whales. First trip was a pod of orcas and humbacks. The trip this summer was a group of 20 or so whales bubble net feeding which at one point turned and came straight toward us. The captain had equipment in the water so we could hear them.

So many times when I read posts it is negative comments for the ship tours. I think there is a reason for Harv and Marv, Orca and the cruise line excursions. A person should take the information and choose for yourself.

Happy Cruising!:)

My husband and I are going to Alaska for our first time June 1st-the 8th. We have already booked w/ Harv and Marv after reading many wonderful reviews about them.

I spoke to Jay the other day on the phone as he was on the water just coming home from vacation. He was so helpful answering all my questions and did not mind the call even though they were just getting home from vacation.

On their website under contact us you can actually see how many reservations they already have under the 2010 reservation link. I called Eileen after the weekend and made my reservation on a 6 passenger boat.

I liked the fact w/ Harv and Marv you had a little more flexibility w/ the times. We booked early so we would have more time when we came back to do other things in Juneau. I saw w/ Orca the day we would be there they did not leave until 9:30am. By us going w/ Harv and Marv we will be leaving at 8am.

I am sure they are both great companies, but we liked the smaller boat, and the flexibility w/ the times. Of course the fact they were so helpful!

Enjoy your cruise!

I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises. Larry has been in whale watching far longer, which makes his tours, very informative. As mentioned, ship naturalists are on his boats. He is involved in research.

The above post, about the "cpt" attracting the whales is "well"??? Interesting???

Well Budget Queen, I suggest you try Harv & Marv and see what the end results are:D.

Well Budget Queen, I suggest you try Harv & Marv and see what the end results are:D.

Sometimes when someone has done something for so long, they have no desire to change their ways, even though there might be something else similar or even better. It is often hard to change habits, which I understand. But as someone who gives advice on a broad range of activities in Alaska, I too think it would be good for BQ to experience Harv and Marv, if nothing else to at least compare.

Having said that, it goes without saying that Harv & Marvs gets nothing but glowing reports from traveler after traveler after traveler. So I guess it really doesn't matter if BQ tries them or not.

I personally like the deposit and cancellation policy of H&M better than Orca. Orca charges a cancellation fee from the moment you book. H&M takes your credit card number but doesn't charge you until 2 months before your tour. Even after they charge your card, there is no cancellation penalty unless you cancel within 30 days of the tour. Pretty lenient policy if you ask me.

In planning our whale watch tour this summer, our first choice was to go with H&M - the small boat, small group, being close to the water really sounded great to us! Unfortunately, as we have a child under the age of 13, H&M will only allow us to book with them if we reserved the whole boat :(. Too $$ for a family of 3. So, our next choice will be with Orca (and I'm sure it will be a great experience, weather and whales permitting).

We went with Orca and Capt Larry. The boat is by no means medium sized when compared to the big huge ones from the cruise ships. I think we didn't even have a full tour when we went. We had a little boy from Make A Wish with us. Capt Larry gave him plenty of attention. We were able to follow a Mommy and her baby unlike the big boats, hang out near a buoy full of seals. All questions were answered without any probs. We got some great pictures from the top deck. I think the boat maybe held 20 people IF that. Compared to 100's on the big double decker cruise lines ones.

I am going to check out the smaller boat for this trip so it would just be our family.

Per research on this forum, there seems to be a few great alternatives of smaller whale watching businesses that will accept families with kids. Last year we went with, Alaska whale watching, www.akwhalewatching.com. They did a great job and also have great reviews. A few other operators that have excellent reviews are weather permitting, Captain Jack with adventures in alaska, and Alaska Galore Tours. In my trip to Alaska, it seemed that the top whale watching businesses in Alaska are respectful of other boats, offer a great tour and care about our whales/environment. All you need to do is pick from one of the top businesses that suit your needs the best for the best price.

I just made my late May whale watching tour + salmon bake with Orca. For all the posts I've read so far both H&M and Orca have very good reputations so I just pick the cheaper one. :) I think you are not going to be disappointed with either one.

Sometimes when someone has done something for so long, they have no desire to change their ways, even though there might be something else similar or even better. It is often hard to change habits, which I understand. But as someone who gives advice on a broad range of activities in Alaska, I too think it would be good for BQ to experience Harv and Marv, if nothing else to at least compare.

Our family has compared!!! We have done Harv/Marv, Orca and the big cruise ship booked tour. Our vote is for Harv/Marv by a landslide but we also would do Orca again without hesitation... so you really can't go wrong between them. The boats go to the same spots- the captains work together to relay where the latest sightings are.

Orca has a faster boat and great staff. Harv and Marv are.... Harv and Marv. It's a true family operation with better service than any Alaska tour in any city that we have visited. The small boat allows true interaction, easier ability to ask questions, and an "on the water" feel that you can't get on a bigger boat.

In summary, we are doing Harv/Marv again this summer. Budget Queen should keep doing what she likes- it's great. Figure out what you like and it will be great. All the options are good.

Archived