What to do in Skagway?

fedorad

I have read a lot about the train rides but I'm not sure I want to commit an entire day to that, or maybe I should say my husband doesn't want to. Are you able to get to any glaciers from Skagway? What other options are there? We are there an entire day so I would like to do more than just walk around town.

Thanks!

We took the 1/2 day white pass railroad trip. It left at 8:30 am and was back shortly after the noon hour. I have done this excursion 2 times I loved it so much. So much scenery, it's unbelievable and much more relaxing then renting a car and driving.

Don't miss the White Pass & Yukon railway trip out of Skagway. One of the world's great railway journeys - the railway to the sky . Goes right up to the Canadian border . Departs from shipside (book on board ship at Tours Desk) . Takes half a day, and one can go am or PM departures . On the return trip the train stops in town and one can walk around and explore . Real frontier wild west style with wooden sidewalks. Great icecream shop in Skagway of all places . (Selling iceblocks to eskimoes almost !!) It is a 5 minute walk from the township back to the wharves . Typically in season you will have 4 - 5 cruise boats in port each day .

Don't miss the White Pass & Yukon railway trip out of Skagway. One of the world's great railway journeys - the railway to the sky . Goes right up to the Canadian border . Departs from shipside (book on board ship at Tours Desk) . Takes half a day, and one can go am or PM departures .

There are several tours that include the railway - that's the shortest of them, sold by the ships. There are longer and much longer train/bus combos sold by the ships and by independents.

we rented a car from Avis & drove in to Yukon Territory. There's a guide - Murray's - available online (that I read about here on CC!) that lays out the trip mile by mile. You won't miss a photo op, hiking trail, beach, or place for food! We were able to take our time, stop where we wanted & really have a relaxed, enjoyable day.

we rented a car from Avis & drove in to Yukon Territory. There's a guide - Murray's - available online (that I read about here on CC!) that lays out the trip mile by mile. You won't miss a photo op, hiking trail, beach, or place for food! We were able to take our time, stop where we wanted & really have a relaxed, enjoyable day.

We also plan to do this. But anyone wanting to order the guide...according to the website, the 2010 version won't be available until April. Just a FYI.

I'll order mine then as I've heard so many good things about it.

There are lots of other options available in Skagway. The famous Yellow tour cars give a good tour, lots of history, a multimedia presentation, out to the Dyea viewpoint, well worth doing. The "Days of 98" show is a lot of fun. Visiting the Purple Onion Saloon (and old brothel) is a classic for Skagway. There is a sled dog camp where you can ride the dog carts. There are jeep tours for a half day or so. If you are good hikers, you can walk out to the Gold Rush Cemetary and see the grave of Soapy Smith. There are a couple of places where you can just sit by the stream and watch the salmon.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html#skagway

For the best view sit by a window as follows:

By train:

Leaving Skagway sit on the left side of the train.

Leaving Fraser sit on the right side of the train.

By bus:

Leaving Skagway sit on the right (passenger) side of the bus.

Leaving Fraser sit on the left (driver) side of the bus.

Archived