Back From Costa Pacifica 12/27

Pupsweet

Hi, out there!

Just back from a GREAT time on the Costa Pacifica to the Holy Land. I sent off my review, and hopefully, it will be posted soon in the REVIEWS section.

If you have any questions, fire away!

Gabrielle

We did private excursions in both ports and had a stellar time (and got back earlier than the Costa excursion folks in BOTH ports.)

We went with Kalman Goldner (private guide) in Ashdod. Nice new-model van-type car, excellent reliable and pleasant guide. Seemed more geared toward the Jewish sights and less enthusiatic about Chirstian/Moslem ones, but we went to all the places we wanted to see, so it was fine. We went to Western Wall, Via Dolorosa, Chruch of Holy Sepulcher, Mount of Olives, Yad Vashem (Holocaust Museum) and the a funky and fast local restaurant for lunch. You need to strongly express your preferences with him, otherwise he goes his own way. Here's how I'd rate him. Scale 1-5. (Cost was $500 USD for up to 6 people. Same fee whether you had 2 or 6.)

Reliability: 5

Vehicle: 5

Bathroom breaks: 5

English: 5

Knowledge of area/history: 5

Flexibility: 3

Adventuresome (felt somewhat by rote): 1

Communicates the "plan": 4

Lunch: 3

Shopping: 2 (he kinda didn't seem too thrilled with shopping or food)

In Port Said we booked with George of Ramses Tours. We had a fun guide named Kareem and a driver. We were offered an armed guard to come with us, but we declined. Our only complaint with this tour is that the vehicle had issues with safety belts and general comfort of the seats (there's a lot of driving involved.) But otherwise, the lunch, the camel ride and the stop at the Alexandria Library were superb. Really, really excellent and worth every penny. Cost was about 145 Euros per person including a 50 minute camel ride. Here's how I rate this tour:

Reliability: 5

Vehicle : 3

Bathroom Breaks: 4

English: 4

Knowledge of area/history: 5

Flexibility: 5

Adventuresome (in a good way): 5

Communicating the "plan" 4

Food (lunch): 5

Shopping: 5

Kalman likes to talk on the phone to make arrangements; George handled everything via email. I would use both these guides again, though this time I would be more assertive with Kalman regarding my preferences, and I would make sure we had a newer vehicle with George.

Hope this helps.

Hi, out there!

Just back from a GREAT time on the Costa Pacifica to the Holy Land. I sent off my review, and hopefully, it will be posted soon in the REVIEWS section.

If you have any questions, fire away!

Gabrielle

After reading so many negative Costa reviews, yours was such a refreshing change.

We are doing the Pacifica on Jan. 29. Have a different guide in Israel but using Ramses in Egypt. We were there on a previous cruise so requested something a little different. Must do pyramids and sphinx (again) but instead of museum, we're doing a felucca sail and shopping in bazaar.

A couple of Pacifica questions for you:

Did you have early or late dining? We were assigned late (booked cruise at end of Oct.) and wait-listed for early. We're hoping once on-board that we can get switched to early seating. If we can't, is there an evening buffet?

Was there an English speakers meeting? If so, do you remember how many days into the cruise that was held?

Thanks for any info you can share....Sheila

After reading so many negative Costa reviews' date=' yours was such a refreshing change.

We are doing the Pacifica on Jan. 29. Have a different guide in Israel but using Ramses in Egypt. We were there on a previous cruise so requested something a little different. Must do pyramids and sphinx (again) but instead of museum, we're doing a felucca sail and shopping in bazaar.

A couple of Pacifica questions for you:

Did you have early or late dining? We were assigned late (booked cruise at end of Oct.) and wait-listed for early. We're hoping once on-board that we can get switched to early seating. If we can't, is there an evening buffet?

Was there an English speakers meeting? If so, do you remember how many days into the cruise that was held?

Thanks for any info you can share....Sheila[/quote']

Am sending same questions as previously posted. Thought if I moved this up the thread, you'd notice....thanks

Archived