What would you choose in PV?

mickym

I mostly read about the canopy tours in PV here and they sound wonderful but I am pretty sure I could not jump off a platform that high in the air. That leaves not knowing what I want to do there. What would you recommend to do for the day in PV that doesn't necessarily include an organized excursion?

If you aren't doing an excursion you can take a taxi into downtown Puerto Vallarta and have it drop you off along the Malecon which runs along the beach. There is shopping, restaurants, etc there. You can also visit a nice church there. Also, there is a hotel close to the cruise terminal called the Krystal that you can walk to. I've never had to get a day pass there but from what I hear some have. I usually go in through the side gate and out to the pool area. There is an open air palapa restaurant there that is reasonable and serves good food. There is also a big pool with loungers.

There are some good excursions there besides ziplining. Las Caletas is nice.

Hi guys... Bob and Chris calling from AUSTRALIA. My wife and I are going on the Mariner on the 28th March, 2010 and we are going to Dreams Resort & Spa in Puerto Vallarta. We are getting a 6 hour/ half day pass which includes food, drinks ect ect. It is apparently set on a very nice private beach with lovely pools.

Thought this might be an option for you???????

Regards Bob & Chris.:)

we rent a golf cart and put 50+ miles on it in pv off the ship. PV has more to see than any port in the MR. In Nuevo Vallarta (north) you could visit a few of the nice resorts, the quaint oceanfront village of Bucerias, and visit a large private gated community where you could drop in and few of the luxury homes for sale. In south PV there is even more to see and do. PV has a large population of No american folks that winter down there, so there are many things to see and do. From fantastic views, to great shopping, to inexpensive beachfronts eats and drinks.

Bucerias shopping

IMG_9773.jpg

Visit a few Luxury golf course homes for sale in Nuevo

CIMG2358-1.jpg

Visit a view cafe in south PV

IMG_1319-2.jpg

Visit Los Muertos Beach in South PV

IMG_5311.jpg

South PV next visit map

PVmap2.png

Hi guys... Bob and Chris calling from AUSTRALIA. My wife and I are going on the Mariner on the 28th March, 2010 and we are going to Dreams Resort & Spa in Puerto Vallarta. We are getting a 6 hour/ half day pass which includes food, drinks ect ect. It is apparently set on a very nice private beach with lovely pools.

Thought this might be an option for you???????

Regards Bob & Chris.:)

How do you get there from the ship? Where is it that you get the daypass for this?

we rent a golf cart and put 50+ miles on it in pv off the ship. PV has more to see than any port in the MR. In Nuevo Vallarta (north) you could visit a few of the nice resorts, the quaint oceanfront village of Bucerias, and visit a large private gated community where you could drop in and few of the luxury homes for sale. In south PV there is even more to see and do. PV has a large population of No american folks that winter down there, so there are many things to see and do. From fantastic views, to great shopping, to inexpensive beachfronts eats and drinks.

Where do you rent the golf cart from?

]Where do you rent the golf cart from?

From this great Canadian gal right next to the ship, 50+ miles, they don't go too fast, but they go, and go and go, are relatively safe, and are easy to park most anywhere

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_9391.jpg

IMG_9704.jpg

We even fit right in and toured a luxury golf course

IMG_9447.jpg

How do you get there from the ship? Where is it that you get the daypass for this?

There are 2 AI's (all inclusive pool/beach hotels) most popular that day use seeking cruisers use in PV. Krystal is the most popular, is right near the ship, and some cruisers report getting in for free, and paying as they drink and eat. Dreams is far south ($10 each way taxi ride), but is in a beautiful cove with jungle mountain ambiance ($58 per person, and you can just show up and pay)

Krystal is just this side of the high rises under construction (btw. you can see the golf cart rentals in the lower right of the pic)

IMG_9301.jpg

Dreams south in it's great cove/jungle location

DreamsSouthPV2.jpg

$40-$50 per day. If you have never driven in Mexico, you may want to re-consider (for instance, most times you turn left from the right lane, allowing the thru traffic to pass; most left turn lanes vere off right, then you stop at the red left arrow, then, when the left arrow goes green, you turn left, in front of the stopped forward traffic). If you are a very careful and a quick learner, then you will be fine.

Knowing how hectic and busy traffic in PV is, I donot think I would ever want to rent a golfcart here. I wouldnot feel safe.

Better take a localbus to Old Town (now Pesos 6,50 p.p.), take a cab or find a private driver to show you around.

Thanks for the ideas. Not sure we would be comfortable in the golf carts. Dreams sounds very nice but still haven't decided yet. It looks like we will have no trouble finding something nice to do there just nothing jumps out and says "do this".

We have opted to try the new hoovercraft expedition- http://www.puertovallartatours.net/hovercraft-tour.htm. The few reviews it has gotten so far have been very good. And it leaves time for us to go the the Rhythms of the Night which also gets great reviews, although it is pricey and you don't quite get the entire sunset experience since you must take the ships tour. This starts at 3:45 instead of 6 or 7. But they get you back before the ship leaves port- a good thing. I learned that the ships buy up the entire booking for the early show so you cannot book it yourself and save a bit.

We have opted to try the new hoovercraft expedition- http://www.puertovallartatours.net/hovercraft-tour.htm. The few reviews it has gotten so far have been very good. And it leaves time for us to go the the Rhythms of the Night which also gets great reviews, although it is pricey and you don't quite get the entire sunset experience since you must take the ships tour. This starts at 3:45 instead of 6 or 7. But they get you back before the ship leaves port- a good thing. I learned that the ships buy up the entire booking for the early show so you cannot book it yourself and save a bit.

It must be the Carnival Cruiseline that books the Rhythms of the Night as I cannot find it on the RCI excursions

It must be the Carnival Cruiseline that books the Rhythms of the Night as I cannot find it on the RCI excursions

When i talked with a group in PV they didn't specify- just said the cruise ships had them entirely booked. Sorry- does look to be an interesting evening. I guess RCI guests cannot book Carnival???

When did you book the hovercraft tour? I am interested to know how you liked it but don't know if you will have taken it before we leave on 2/6/10. If you have been please let me know what you thought. It looks quite interesting but I haven't been able to find many who have tried it yet.

Thanks!!!

Just returned from an 11 day on the Radiance. We LOVED Puerto Vallarta. Take a local bus (El Centro in the bus window) right outside the terminal gate which costs 6.5 pesos but the driver will take $1 and will give you change in pesos. Tell the driver "Malecon" and the ride will be around 10 min. or so. When the driver lets you off (after he takes a left turn away from the water), head toward the water and you will be at the end of the Malecon. It's a beautiful walkway along the water with lots of artwork and magnificent sand sculptures. Also, there are lots of restaurants and I highly recommend Cheeky Monkey (across from the ladder sculpture on the second floor) which serves $1 beers and margaritas all day. The food is really good and very reasonable. The owner is originally from NY! The market is a short walk away and a beautiful church is nearby. A great area. Return to the boat by taking a bus marked Wal-Mart and get off when you see the ship to your left.

While this was a cruise excursion, we did a sailing trip across Bandaras Bay and back. It was through Vallarta Adventures. We had a great whale sighting (humpback infant and mother approached the boat, got very close), some swimming/snorkeling (strong surge so we didn't go to the rocks) and the wind picked up for a sail back.

The best part was the small size. There were 6 of us, so it was very relaxing and personal. Much better than jumping on and off tour buses with the hordes.

The drinks and snacks start right as we leave, lunch is served and the bar is pretty much open the whole trip.

I was told there were 3 sailing craft, a couple of large Beneteau charter style cruisers, and a 43 foot racing sloop, stripped down. While the Beneteaus were sleek and well appointed, they had more passengers (about a dozen each) and our racing sloop smoked them on the way back ;^)

Just returned from an 11 day on the Radiance. We LOVED Puerto Vallarta. Take a local bus (El Centro in the bus window) right outside the terminal gate which costs 6.5 pesos but the driver will take $1 and will give you change in pesos. Tell the driver "Malecon" and the ride will be around 10 min. or so. When the driver lets you off (after he takes a left turn away from the water), head toward the water and you will be at the end of the Malecon. It's a beautiful walkway along the water with lots of artwork and magnificent sand sculptures. Also, there are lots of restaurants and I highly recommend Cheeky Monkey (across from the ladder sculpture on the second floor) which serves $1 beers and margaritas all day. The food is really good and very reasonable. The owner is originally from NY! The market is a short walk away and a beautiful church is nearby. A great area. Return to the boat by taking a bus marked Wal-Mart and get off when you see the ship to your left.

Another vote for the Cheeky Monkey, you can't beat the $1 maggies and beers (not watered down but GOOD maggies) and our friends who live in PV introduced us to Troy (the owner) who will show you and EXCELLENT time if you ask for him and tell him he was recommended...not that you won't have fun without this but he may notget a chance to introduce himself if he is busy......try the Philly cheese steak if you are burnt out n Mexican food or ship food......AWESOME with hom made fries.....mmmm..cant wait to return!

Archived